‘23 GA OT Shamurad Umarov (Tennessee commit)

Kyler Kerbyson is super excited about getting this guy. Breakdown on his film was really good. Says he has the perfect body and plays with exceptional technique. Someone has been teaching him the little things, and someone who knows the things that need to be shown on film helped him put his film together.

Kyler was high on Francis, but said Francis manhandled folks while Sham plays with more technique.

Was an interesting listen.

Kyler Kerbyson is super excited about getting this guy. Breakdown on his film was really good. Says he has the perfect body and plays with exceptional technique. Someone has been teaching him the little things, and someone who knows the things that need to be shown on film helped him put his film together.

Kyler was high on Francis, but said Francis manhandled folks while Sham plays with more technique.

Link

Yeah, he’d swap sham for Francis any day I’ll bet.

ALPHARETTA, Ga. — As customers breeze through the self-checkout line at Publix, there’s a doting grandmother standing at the end of the register. She can’t wait to tell anyone who passes through her line about her grandson.

“She’s always talking about me,” said Shamurad Umarov, a four-star offensive tackle who has verbally committed to Tennessee. “She asks everyone if they know Sham. Half the people from our school know my grandma. … She loves to tell everyone I get my genetics from her because she was really good at handball.”

Tennessee made sure to tell Umarov during his recruitment that Pilot Flying J, the North American chain of truck stops, is based in Knoxville. Pilot’s CEO, Jimmy Haslam — who along with his wife, Dee, own the Cleveland Browns — went to Tennessee. That trucking connection, the Vols told Umarov, could have name, image and likeness potential for the person who could one day be blocking for five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava, the headliner in a Tennessee class that ranks ninth nationally in the 247Sports Composite Rating. Umarov is ranked as the No. 142 player nationally and No. 13 in Georgia.

The beauty in the often wild world that is college football recruiting is found in Umarov and his family. When the family boarded a plane for the United States from Russia in 2006 when Umarov was 1, they couldn’t have dreamed of him one day getting his schooling paid for, let alone him being a coveted football prospect. Umarov’s father was born in Kazakhstan and his mother in Uzbekistan. The family is Turkish, Ansha said, but they were displaced to Russia, where Umarov was born.

Teams like Auburn and Michigan State are still trying to recruit him, but Umarov says thanks, but no thanks. He remains focused on improving his footwork, something he felt happened already this season after he dropped weight. He said he started the season around 335 pounds and now fluctuates between 320 and 325. Being able to dominate at this level is what he knows he must do. Most kids he goes up against will never again play against someone his size and with his strength.

His newfound love of eye black only adds to the intimidation factor that he’s already nailed. Ansha laughs when asked her thoughts on the designs.

Umarov knows soon all of this will be different. For the first time in his life, his family won’t all be nearby. One day, they’ll drive 3 1/2 hours to Knoxville to watch him play instead of heading to the high school down the street. Ansha will still tell customers that Smart was a “very nice man” during his recruitment of her grandson, but that her Sham — the boy who got his athletic talents from her and who hopes to help make a name for Turkish football players — chose Tennessee

Looking forward to seeing him in the Orange. Seems like a solid young man that has been raised right and taught the value of hard work. I think CJH’s genuine emphasis on the team being a family hits home with a lot of the recruits and their families.

VN Store

Back