'22 GA OT Addison Nichols (Tennessee signee)

It's hard for me to say the players liked Pruitt, as it seemed like they quit on him last year. I'm sure some players responded well to his style of coaching for sure, but it didn't seem to work for a lot of them.
its evident in the portal. listen to Lewis and Hubbs' take, multiple players talking about how much culture has changed.

It's hard for me to say the players liked Pruitt, as it seemed like they quit on him last year. I'm sure some players responded well to his style of coaching for sure, but it didn't seem to work for a lot of them.

I think they like him personally at the time because he had their back and was brutally honest compared to a liar like Butch. It was a rough year mentally on field but also off field with what was going on in country and covid. That stuff wears on grown adults let alone college kids that can’t be college kids. Now you have a new staff and AD that are more fun and and have a newer style that fits today’s game on and off field coming off a rough yr. of course they will be more happy right now. Pruitt was just ball all the time and old school and so was Fulmer. New staff knows there is more to it and want to have fun while playing a fun game. It is also more exciting thinking about playing in shootouts instead of grinds

They knew him on a personal level. He IMO was probably a good practice coach. I still think he is and was a good teacher of the game. But it takes more than that to be a good HC. A lot more. He didn't have it in him. They may have liked him but he wasn't getting them mentally or emotionally ready to play.

I have liked a lot of people who weren't competent. I have thought people highly competent in one job only to watch them fall apart after promotion. The two most glaring examples of that at UT in my time have been Sunseri and Pruitt. Both were good at what they were doing... and should have stuck with it. Chavis and others have always had the self-awareness to know what they're good at and what they aren't.

They knew him on a personal level. He IMO was probably a good practice coach. I still think he is and was a good teacher of the game. But it takes more than that to be a good HC. A lot more. He didn't have it in him. They may have liked him but he wasn't getting them mentally or emotionally ready to play.

I have liked a lot of people who weren't competent. I have thought people highly competent in one job only to watch them fall apart after promotion. The two most glaring examples of that at UT in my time have been Sunseri and Pruitt. Both were good at what they were doing... and should have stuck with it. Chavis and others have always had the self-awareness to know what they're good at and what they aren't.
He was promoted beyond his competence. Happens all the time in other areas as well.

He was promoted beyond his competence. Happens all the time in other areas as well.
I think he genuinely loved his players, and that was reflected in player interactions off the field. He was never going to be a highly successful head coach though. Really good, experienced coaches could see his incompetence and failures as a head coach. It's difficult to work for the dumbest person in the room, when they won't take your suggestions into consideration (especially if they're a d!ck). Many players loved him because he was loyal ,to a fault, to upperclassmen and promises made to some highly rated recruits. I mean, him and his wife even named their kids after players.

The older players loved Pruitt for some reason
After playing for a circus clown I'm sure they appreciated JP's no nonsense businesslike attitude, but ultimately the dude is a D Co-ordinator not a HC. He showed that through his lack of in-game adjustments as well as his terrible micromanagement of the most putrid offense UT has ever put on the field.

Reactions: HalfullVol
After playing for a circus clown I'm sure they appreciated JP's no nonsense businesslike attitude, but ultimately the dude is a D Co-ordinator not a HC. He showed that through his lack of in-game adjustments as well as his terrible micromanagement of the most putrid offense UT has ever put on the field.
The 08 Clawfense was worse.

That's why Garner has stayed at his position coaching the DL for so long. He knows its his bread and butter

That's why Garner has stayed at his position coaching the DL for so long. He knows its his bread and butter

If you are good at your job, you have a tendency over time to gain better compensation. DG has the resume to get him paid and he doesn't have the stress and scrutiny of the HC. He might make a good coordinator or even a HC but those are risks and if he likes what he does then why bother with the added responsibility.

A buddy of mine that is friends with the Mays family told me that they miss Pruitt and don’t like the CJH offense. Said a lot of current players miss Pruitt. I guess that always happens when a coach leaves, but it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around it

As opposed to what we watched the last two years?!

When Pruitt arrived to accept the HC position, he told a story about a game his high school HC father lost by running the same play over and over when it was not working. Pruitt was just a little boy at the time. When the family got home after the game, Pruitt wise cracked in front of everybody that he thought his Dad should have tried that play one more time. He said his father immediately got after him with a belt. Like a lot of people, I was continually shocked that Pruitt kept putting JG into games. JG was a tough guy and he had a few great games, but so many of them were tortuous to watch. Fight hard as they might, there came a time when too many of our players became demoralized by the offense. Many folks on this board said that Pruitt's HC career would end badly if he did not give the other QBs a fair shot, but Pruitt never did(except Maurer, who suffered concussions). Maybe he was right to yank them so quickly, but I never believed that. "Hey Coach, why didn't you play JG one more time?"

Last edited:
When Pruitt arrived to accept the HC position, he told a story about a game his high school HC father lost by running the same play over and over when it was not working. Pruitt was just a little boy at the time. When the family got home after the game, Pruitt wise cracked in front of everybody that he thought his Dad should have tried that play one more time. He said his father immediately got after him with a belt. Like a lot of people, I was continually shocked that Pruitt kept putting JG into games. JG was a tough guy and he had a few great games, but so many of them were tortuous to watch. Fight hard as they might, there came a time when too many of our players became demoralized by the offense. Many folks on this board said that Pruitt's HC career would end badly if he did not give the other QBs a fair shot, but Pruitt never did. Maybe he was right to yank them so quickly, but I never believed that. "Hey Coach, why didn't you play JG one more time?"
I think Pruit should have had another belt whoopen myself after he kept trotting JG out there.

VN Store

Back