'20 GA OL Tate Ratledge (UGA commit)

“The way they talk, the way they’re working to be, I think it’d be great to be a part of that,” said Ratledge. “And I’ve gotten a really good relationship with (Tennessee quarterback commitment) Harrison Bailey, and he stays on me all the time. (It helps) knowing people in that class that I could possibly be friends with and stuff. I talked to (offensive line) coach (Will) Friend for a good bit, and Cooper Mays was up there. Talked to him a lot,” Ratledge said of his most recent visit with the Vols. “I talked to Coach Pruitt for a little while — for probably about an hour.

“(Mays is) kind of in the same boat I am, trying to make a decision — just kind of stuck in a bind between some schools — and we talk every now and then over social media, and we’ve kind of gotten to know each other because he’s been on the past three visits I’ve been on.” Seeing Tennessee’s spring game and attending the Vols’ first spring scrimmage on March 30 showed Ratledge that they’ve made noticeable strides on the field. “They’ve improved a lot since last year, in my opinion — on their offensive line especially,” he said. “Last year, I remember going up there during the spring and seeing them, and their offensive line was tiny. This year, they look a lot better — a lot better.

“I like seeing the progress. I mean, I’m not going to be scared to go in somewhere and compete. I’m not looking for a place that, if it was a wide-open alley (to a starting job), that’s the reason I’m going to go there. “Them just signing those two five-star tackles, I mean, that doesn’t really bother me,” Ratledge added, referring to Vols freshman Wanya Morris and incoming signee Darnell Wright. “I’ll go in there and compete with them. It doesn’t bother me.”

Friend and Tennessee tight ends coach Brian Niedermeyer both have built strong relationships with Ratledge in recent months. Ratledge said one of the highlights of his latest trip to Knoxville was joining Vols tight end signee Sean Brown, a fellow Rome native, in playing a game of H-O-R-S-E with Niedermeyer in Pratt Pavilion — Tennessee’s basketball practice facility — before the Vols’ spring game. “Me and Coach Niedermeyer have gotten a really good relationship,” Ratledge said. “He’s got a great sense of humor.” Friend has made it clear to Ratledge that he could play a major role on Tennessee’s offensive line.

“He told me that he could see me playing guard or tackle — just wherever I seem to fit — which doesn’t bother me because, wherever I can play, I’ll play,” Ratledge said. “It doesn’t bother me.” He’s coming off a visit to Georgia on Saturday for the Bulldogs’ spring game. "It was really good just talking to (offensive line) coach (Sam) Pittman and (head) coach (Kirby) Smart after and talking to some of the recruits there,” Ratledge said. “The relationship with Coach Pittman stands out a lot, because he’s been recruiting me for about four years now, it seems like. And I guess I just keep building relationships with him and Coach Smart and all the other coaches there.

“(Pittman) says that they’re going to lose two tackles this year, most likely, in Isaiah Wilson and Andrew Thomas. And he said that I’m his number-one priority on his offensive line to sign in this class. That’s really what he tells me. That’s really his message to me.” Ratledge said he will “probably take some official visits this summer, fall” before deciding on a college. But he’s still hoping to decide on a school within the next few months. “I want it over before the season, for sure,” he said.

The biggest hurdle is Georgia will probably lose both starting tackles. TN will be starting 2 freshman. That will be the biggest challenge IMO.
It's a weak pitch, IMO. They have plenty of depth behind those starting tackles, certainly more than UT does. Just because two guys leave at UGA doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of 4 and 5 stars waiting in line. And if there aren't then Pittman isn't quite the recruiter he's made out to be.

Morris and Wright are two guys who've yet to play a down, one isn't even on campus yet. Weak pitch by Pittman, honestly.

It's a weak pitch, IMO. They have plenty of depth behind those starting tackles, certainly more than UT does. Just because two guys leave at UGA doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of 4 and 5 stars waiting in line. And if there aren't then Pittman isn't quite the recruiter he's made out to be.

Morris and Wright are two guys who've yet to play a down, one isn't even on campus yet. Weak pitch by Pittman, honestly.

It helps to have family that wants him at TN, but they will let him make his own decision.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

This. They have Mays and Salyer in the fold. Not to mention the no 2 OT in Jones already committed and by all accounts in a good spot for Paris Johnson the no 1 OT.

Hopefully the family ties and the relationships he is building with Bailey, Mays, and Nieds will put us over the top.

I think you are right Ron but here is the big question. Is Friend as good of a coach as Pittman?
We don't know yet. Friend didn't have a line full of 5 stars last year to work with. We'll see if there is improvement this year. Friend has been good everywhere else he has been though.

UGA fans will have you believe Friend is the reason Richt got fired and Pittman is the best in he nation.
This couldn't be further from the truth since Friend left with Bobo to go to CSU. Now, bringing in Schottenheimer along with Rob Sale to coach the OL, THAT probably got Richt fired. We generally liked Will Friend as a coach and almost as much as a recruiter.

VN Store

Back