6'4" 210lbs
Buford, GA
(Lanier)

Phillip Webb, Lanier, Inside Linebacker
Phillip Webb, 2020 Outside linebacker - Rivals.com

Terry Fair hit Buford. He Offered Phillip Webb at Buford
- Price, 10/5/18

Reactions: T Dog
Probably will end up a Tiger. Either Clemson or Auburn. But getting him on campus could be big for us

From Rivals:

Visit No. 2 to Alabama is in the books for Rivals100 linebacker Phillip Webb. He was back in Tuscaloosa Tuesday for about half the day and this was different from his first trip.

He got to see the coaches in action, see players going through meetings and really get a better idea of a day would be like there as a student-athlete. "This visit was nice," said Webb. "The most interesting thing for me about this visit was seeing how the coaches interact with their players. I got to see them working the camp, I got to see them in meetings and it was nice to see all that. "I saw how they coach, how they teach and just how they go about things with the players. That is really what this visit was all about for me."

Sal Sunseri is the coach Webb shadowed much of the day and he liked what he saw. "Coach Sunseri is a smart coach with a lot of experience and I like him. He is a fun coach that knows what he is doing. He wants me at the JACK position in their defense and I kind of saw how they would teach that. I had a good time around him".

Not just Sunseri, but Nick Saban made it clear that the four-star linebacker out of Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier is a major target for the Crimson Tide. "Coach Saban and I talked and he said they view me as a real priority," said Webb. "We talked about their player development, how the program is run and how I would fit into it. It was great talking to coach Saban again. He made it clear that they want me there."

Webb is still not ready to declare who the favorites are, but he is close to trimming his list down. Regardless of how long the list is, expect for Alabama to be on it. Alabama has done a very good job of recruiting Webb and the visit Tuesday only helped their chances. "I got to learn more about the coaches, I talked to some players (Kevin Harris and King Mwikuta), I saw the team workout some and I took away some good things on this visit. I like what Alabama does and they have some great coaches and a good program."

Webb is still working to make a decision later this summer or early in the fall. He would prefer to be committed before his senior year, but he won't rush a commitment.

glad he came, but i don't get hte impression that we made a serious move here? would have to see him come back to town a time or two more i think.

Is this guy the Rosetta Stone to figuring out how the OLB sweepstakes is going to work itself out?

ATLANTA — Phillip Webb recently dropped a top schools list that included Tennessee, and the 4-star outside linebacker from Lanier (Ga.) High enjoyed his latest look at the Vols earlier this month.

Webb, who holds more than 30 hours, spent a day with the staff observing a camp and hanging out with position coach Chris Rumph. “I was really impressed,” Webb said the Rivals 5-star Challenge.

“I like the staff. I thought it was really cool watching them coach, working with players.”

Webb, who took an official visit to LSU before the dead period, believes he jives with Rumph’s gregarious personality and has started communicating with the veteran OLB coach much more lately.

“My visit was influenced by my relationship with coach Rumph. He’s a good coach. He gives off a good energy. They really like me in that outside linebacker role in a 3-4.”

Webb had 10.5 sacks and 20 TFLs as a junior and Tennessee is very intrigued by his pass rush ability, especially on 3rd downs. While LSU, Alabama, Clemson and Auburn are all in the mix, the Vols are pushing the chance to see the field a bit earlier, especially considering their rather thin depth chart at outside linebacker.

"They have a great tradition there. Great facilities. Coaches. It’s Tennessee,” Webb said, “So the possibly of playing early? That’s something. Anywhere you go have to work but it’s (a factor).”

While LSU and Auburn are the presumed frontrunners, Webb is keeping things close to the vest and has no public or private leaders at this time. He plans to take a few more visits after the dead period, with Tennessee in contention for one of his final trips.

“I just want to make my decision early in my senior year, he said. “I’ll take some officials during the season. I want to take at least two.”
-VQ

He could be a four-year starter here. Heck, he could probably be a four-year starter anywhere. That is, of course, if he stuck around that long.

Hopefully the thin roster talk helps.

From Rivals:

Top contenders: Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Florida State

Recruiting outlook: Auburn looks like the frontrunner for Webb, but this race isn’t over yet. The Tigers need to hold off Alabama and the Tigers from Clemson and LSU. Multiple visits to Auburn and the relationships he’s formed there give the Tigers confidence but a recent visit to Clemson could change things. You can’t count out Alabama or LSU, either and upcoming visits should be very telling.

Farrell’s take: Auburn has been the leader for awhile and I think he has a great comfort level with Gus Malzahn and company. I think that wins out in the end.

VN Store

Back