GA fan makes big predictions for Vols in 2019

GAfan2123

Hello all, I lurk around the message boards of many teams. It helps me get better news and alternative perspectives on the recruiting trail, fans thoughts, etc. I love college football and I try to look at it from all angles

I am a GA alumni and fan. I am also a little bored this evening and felt like laying out a few thoughts for you all.

I truly think that UT finishes 2nd or 3rd this year in the east. Yes, I do think that UGA finishes first. I think that UT has the weapons to upset some people. Many other teams will undergo a lot of rebuilding over the next season while UT has virtually no turnover of players from 2018 to 2019. Given lack of turnover of players, a better offensive coordinator, and a second year with the coaching staff implementing their systems then one would only think there would be improvement, right??

I do not think many would disagree that UT should pick up an additional 2 wins over last season with the potential of picking up an additional 4 wins from last year.

UF is losing 4 out of 5 of their starting offensive lineman from 2018. They lose their leaders on defense as well. They do not yet have the depth to truly stack the team back up

Nearly all of Vanderbilts defense graduates

Kentucky has 12 starters leaving their team and 3 of them should be drafted in the first 3 rounds

Missouri has 10 starters leaving their team and 2 should be drafted in the first 3 rounds

GA State -W
BYU -W
Chat -W
UF - L (I think this will be a close loss and I give Florida the edge only because UT is playing away)
UGA - L (given the bye week, pruitt and kirbys hostility, playing at UT and Chaney trying to prove himself.... I could see this going bad for us. I think that UT leads for some of the game, but GA has more talent and more depth on the field which helps them close it out in the 4th quarter)
MS State - W
Alabama - L
USCjr. - W
UAB - W
KY - W
Missouri - W
Vanderbilt-W

Final, 9-3

Floor of 7 wins, ceiling of 10 wins.

Good luck this year. I hope you beat the gators, but lose to UGA and close out with 10 wins.

Last edited:
I am a GA alumni and fan.

giphy.gif

Hello all, I lurk around the message boards of many teams. It helps me get better news and alternative perspectives on the recruiting trail, fans thoughts, etc. I love college football and I try to look at it from all angles

I am a GA alumni and fan. I am also a little bored this evening and felt like laying out a few thoughts for you all.

I truly think that UT finishes 2nd or 3rd this year in the east. Yes, I do think that UGA finishes first. I think that UT has the weapons to upset some people. Many other teams will undergo a lot of rebuilding over the next season while UT has virtually no turnover of players from 2018 to 2019. Given lack of turnover of players, a better offensive coordinator, and a second year with the coaching staff implementing their systems then one would only think there would be improvement, right??

I do not think many would disagree that UT should pick up an additional 2 wins over last season with the potential of picking up an additional 4 wins from last year.

UF is losing 4 out of 5 of their starting offensive lineman from 2018. They lose their leaders on defense as well. They do not yet have the depth to truly stack the team back up

Kentucky has 12 starters leaving their team and 3 of them should be drafted in the first 3 rounds

Missouri has 10 starters leaving their team and 2 should be drafted in the first 3 rounds

GA State -W
BYU -W
Chat -W
UF - L (I think this will be a close loss and I give Florida the edge only because UT is playing away)
UGA - L (given the bye week, pruitt and kirbys hostility, playing at UT and Chaney trying to prove himself.... I could see this going bad for us. I think that UT leads for some of the game, but GA has more talent and more depth on the field which helps them close it out in the 4th quarter)
MS State - W
Alabama - L
USCjr. - W
UAB - W
KY - W
Missouri - W
Vanderbilt-W

Final, 9-3

Good luck this year. I hope you beat the gators, but lose to UGA and close out with 10 wins.
I give you your third like, and if you post stuff like this, you are welcome anytime as far as I'm concerned. I wish I could be as optimistic as you about our next season.

Tbh it's kinda hard for me to keep up with teams other than the Vols during the offseason. I appreciate when fans from other teams give us the low-down, for better or worse. Of course I want us to win more than we did last year, but man beating the Gators and UGA would be sweet this year.

Thanks for the post. To hell with Georgia! Go Vols!

Reactions: savannahfan
I don't think we win 9, but I'll take any remotely intelligent offseason college football posts I can get ;)

My current view is that we'll take a step forward on offense. Our O-line was one of the worst in the nation last season. It'll improve this year, but that might mean going from "worst in the nation" to "average" or "slightly-below-average". Our WR corp is top 10 in the country, we have some good RBs, and JG is severely underrated as a QB, but the O-line probably still hampers us for another season. And if JG gets injured, look out below, because it's a big drop-off at QB right now with two Freshmen behind JG.

D-line depth is going to be a major issue this year. We lose our top 4 D-linemen from last season. We already had issues with D-line depth last season. You could see it particularly in the South Carolina game where Muschamp eventually just decided to run at us nearly every play until it wore us down. While I think we'll improve at DB and LB, the D-line is probably going to hold the D back this season.

Mizzou loses a lot of talent, but gains Kelly Bryant, and they are always tough to beat on the road. Hopefully we beat Vandy this year, as that was easily the most embarrassing loss from last year. But it's going to be difficult to beat South Carolina and Miss State. Miss State, in particular, is a better team right now. And BYU isn't a gimme. But we could pull off an upset or two.

7 wins would be reasonable. 8+ wins would be an achievement.

Last edited:
don't blame GAFAN for coming on this site...we do have the best one so, don't be too hard on someone who is not so lucky, like us, and have a beautiful Big Orange day...;)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: SolidRockGolf

GA State -W
BYU -W
Chat -W
MS State - W
Alabama - L
USCjr. - W
UAB - W
KY - W
Missouri - W
Vanderbilt-W

Final, 9-3

Well, I'm gonna spread the money around and bet UGA as a hedge but take the Vols at 5 to 1 to get to ATL for the championship.

GA State -W
BYU -W
Chat -W
MS State - W
Alabama - L
USCjr. - W
UAB - W
KY - W
Missouri - W
Vanderbilt-W

Final, 9-3

Appreciate the sentiment and a lot of the reasoning. But your post is the ultimate optimistic, best case scenario post, and if you’re a Tennessee fan, you know better than to go that route, it’s been proven to be fool’s gold over the last 10-15 dreadful seasons.

I think Tennessee’s ceiling is 7 wins this year, that Florida, Georgia, Alabama, likely Miss State are certain, ironclad losses. If Tennessee doesn’t play much better and with great focus, that either BYU or, more likely, UAB, will beat them in Neyland. I think we beat Kentucky as they come back to earth to being the .500 program that they are. I think SCar is a tossup/lean towards SCar, and that Tennessee will lose 1 of Vandy and Missouri. We’ll surely beat our other 2 poor OOC opponents. Just how it is until Pruitt, who was responsible for a school-record 6 losses by 25 points or more last year (Jones only lost 3 such games in 2017’s awful season), proves otherwise.

Reactions: savannahfan
I don't think we win 9, but I'll take any remotely intelligent offseason college football posts I can get ;)

My current view is that we'll take a step forward on offense. Our O-line was one of the worst in the nation last season. It'll improve this year, but that might mean going from "worst in the nation" to "average" or "slight-below-average". Our WR corp is top 10 in the country, we have some great RBs, and JG is severely underrated as a QB, but the O-line probably still hampers us for another season. And if JG gets injured, look out below, because it's a big drop-off at QB right now with two Freshmen behind JG.

D-line depth is going to be a major issue this year. We lose our top 4 D-linemen from last season. We already had issues with D-line depth last season. You could see it particularly in the South Carolina game where Muschamp eventually just decided to run at us nearly every play until it wore us down. While I think we'll improve at DB and LB, the D-line is probably going to hold the D back this season.

Mizzou loses a lot of talent, but gains Kelly Bryant, and they are always tough to beat on the road. Hopefully we beat Vandy this year, as that was easily the most embarrassing loss from last year. But it's going to be difficult to beat South Carolina and Miss State. Miss State, in particular, is a better team right now. And BYU isn't a gimme. But we could pull off an upset or two.

7 wins would be reasonable. 8+ wins would be an achievement.

1. Agree that we should take a step forward on offense. The worst OL in the country last surely will get a little bit better, especially with 2 of the top OL prospects in the country coming in to help and our returning guys getting another year in the program and weight room. Then add a major upgrade to OC in Chaney, and we should see a better, more dynamic offense.

2. Can’t agree that our WR corps is top 10 in the country. Top in the conference, yeah, even top half, but that’s about it imo. JJ is solid and reliable, although limited. Callaway flashes at times and disappears at others times, so he’s really inconsistent. Palmer just hasn’t done much of anything outside of 4-5 good catches last year, 2 of which came in one game vs Auburn. All 3 of those guys struggle with separation although Palmer has shown, at times, he can get behind a defense....just not nearly enough.

3. Great running backs? Can’t agree there. Hurley, Kamara, Fournette, Chubb, Guice were “great” SEC running backs. I can make a strong, intelligent argument that the best college running back in the state of Tennessee doesn’t play in Knoxville, he resides in Nashville...Ke’Shawn Vaughn. Chandler is very good, runs hard, catches the ball well....but he struggles making people miss in the open field and doesn’t pass protect very well. Banks has potential, runs extremely hard, but we all know about his fumbling issues and he doesn’t have enough speed and wiggle to make him great. Jordan runs hard but is at best an average SEC RB. I’m really excited to see what Eric Gray does here, but he hasn’t played yet.

4. Agree with you about JG and the overall QB situation.

5. Don’t know how anyone could possible argue with your takes regarding our DL and our schedule matchups....I think you’re 100% spot on.

Georgia Fan, first I hope that your responders here exhibit at least half the civility you did posting here. I find it interesting your prediction is so close to one I made here a while back. The difference was, I had us beating Florida and losing to some team we shouldn't. Personally, I think if UT fans have patience, Pruitt will cause some rumbling to be heard from Rockytop this year as the sleeping giant begins to stir from its slumber. Then in 2020, we start making a bit of noise. The giant sits up, drowsy eyes struggle to stay open, the head shakes off the remaining sleepiness, it scratches its arse and wonders what time it is. By 2021, we'll be fully back. the giant gets up, dressed, not exactly in a nice mood at what its realizes has happened to it. At this point, the SEC begins to realize you just don't quarrel with the Quintronic Man.

1554819891248.png

Last edited:
Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back