'17 GA DT Aubrey Solomon (NCAA IS A FAIR ORGANIZATION)

Pretty sure medical redshirt didn't get scrapped.
It hasn’t, and it’s different than medical exemption. Medical exemption means you keep your scholly but you are done playing sports. You no longer would count against the 85, but your career is over.

Reactions: Sleegro
So if the 30% medical redshirt is gone due to the new 4 game rule, then the medical 6th year exception is still possible with a regular redshirt. Again, all hypothetical because Gooden still has a redshirt available.

I'm not sure he'd have a case unless he missed next year too. 6th year eligibility has all its own criteria and is a bit vague. It also has to be voted on by a committee, so a bit subjective too.

1 criteria is missing "more than 1 season" due to things outside the player's control. More than 1 is a bit vague, but most seem to interpret it as missing 2 full years. Idk. And it's not just medical, there are other extenuating circumstances that are considered, including taking care of an ill family member, natural disasters, and extreme financial difficulty. Who knows how all that is interpreted?

So if the 30% medical redshirt is gone due to the new 4 game rule, then the medical 6th year exception is still possible with a regular redshirt. Again, all hypothetical because Gooden still has a redshirt available.
If your redshirt is not due to medical reasons, you’re not going to get that sixth year.

It hasn’t, and it’s different than medical exemption. Medical exemption means you keep your scholly but you are done playing sports. You no longer would count against the 85, but your career is over.
You mean medical retirement? Or is medical exemption the correct term?

The 30% medical redshirt isn’t gone. That 30% rule also comes with no games played past 50% of the season. The four game rule doesn’t include the 50% deal

It is there for other sports. It has no use for football any longer, though. You wouldn't ever go through filing a waiver when the rule automatically gives you your redshirt.

"Scrapped" was probably the wrong verbiage, let's just say it has no use any longer for football.

Fwiw they are also working on doing away with the first/second part of the season restriction for other sports, partly to give equitable flexibility to what football has been given. Though it has been tabled for the time being. The Football Oversight Committee took no position on it ofc, only saying it should be reviewed for its impact on other sports.

I don't think anyone is talking about a medical retirement...at least I hope not.

Sounds exactly like what we’ve been calling medical retirement. 🤨

It is there for other sports. It has no use for football any longer, though. You wouldn't ever go through filing a waiver when the rule automatically gives you your redshirt.

"Scrapped" was probably the wrong verbiage, let's just say it has no use any longer for football.

Fwiw they are also working on doing away with the first/second part of the season restriction for other sports, partly to give equitable flexibility to what football has been given. Though it has been tabled for the time being.
So if hypothetically this year a player redshirted after playing 4 games with no injury, then years later misses their senior season with an injury, could they file for a medical exemption 6th year. Since you say the 30% medical redshirt doesn't exist anymore then any redshirt senior who gets hurt could apply for the exemption to get a 6th year? Right?

So if hypothetically this year a player redshirted after playing 4 games with no injury, then years later misses their senior season with an injury, could they file for a medical exemption 6th year. Since you say the 30% medical redshirt doesn't exist anymore then any redshirt senior who gets hurt could apply for the exemption to get a 6th year? Right?
No

It says 1 criteria is missing more than one season not under their control. A regular redshirt is listed as under their control. He could apply and make some case citing other reasons, but if the only case is taking a regular voluntary redshirt, then injured one other season, I don't think it would go through. But it's somewhat about the case and interpretation. A bit like the transfer waivers but more strictly defined imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleegro
Though there is a rule adopted last year that is kind of odd to me, but it states if the redshirt decision was made by the staff in the player's initial year of eligibility and they go on to lose 1 additional year outside of their control, then they can be granted an extra year of eligibility just in this particular case. Basically their argument was a freshman being redshirted is probably having the redshirt forced upon them by the staff (outside of their control) which could then negatively impact how many seasons they ultimately get to play.

Maybe something to watch moving forward with freshman redshirts.

12.8.1.7.1 Waiver Criteria "The student-athlete did not use a season of intercollegiate competition in his or her initial year of full-time, collegiate enrollment due to an institutional decision to redshirt the student-athlete; the student-athlete was listed on the institution's squad list and was eligible for competition during the segment of the season that concludes with the NCAA championship; and the student-athlete was deprived of the opportunity to participate in intercollegiate competition in one other season due to circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete or institution "

Though there is a rule adopted last year that is kind of odd to me, but it states if the redshirt decision was made by the staff in the player's initial year of eligibility and they go on to lose 1 additional year outside of their control, then they can be granted an extra year of eligibility just in this particular case. Basically their argument was a freshman being redshirted is probably having the redshirt forced upon them by the staff (outside of their control) which could then negatively impact how many seasons they ultimately get to play.

12.8.1.7.1 Waiver Criteria "The student-athlete did not use a season of intercollegiate competition in his or her initial year of full-time, collegiate enrollment due to an institutional decision to redshirt the student-athlete; the student-athlete was listed on the institution's squad list and was eligible for competition during the segment of the season that concludes with the NCAA championship; and the student-athlete was deprived of the opportunity to participate in intercollegiate competition in one other season due to circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete or institution "
This is what I was asking about. Haha. So it is still possible.

Fwiw they are also working on doing away with the first/second part of the season restriction for other sports, partly to give equitable flexibility to what football has been given. Though it has been tabled for the time being. The Football Oversight Committee took no position on it ofc, only saying it should be reviewed for its impact on other sports.

The 50% thing is the issue with football. JJ wouldn’t have been able to get a medical last year

This is what I was asking about. Haha. So it is still possible.
Ahh ok. That rule is specifically only for 1st year guys, but yeah in that case I guess it works now. Took your question as just any general guy in a random year haha

Do you work for the NCAA?

I was talking about peterson

I think I originally read your post as saying JJ got a medical redshirt 🤣 sorry, was at a bar and did not bring my full DAT focus to the conversation.

Still not sure what you were trying to say. Prior to the 4-game rule he would have probably just sat out the whole season.

The first half/second half of the season just doesn't matter anymore at all in football, just in other sports.

VN Store

Back