'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

I hate UGA but I hope JH is half as successful as Kirby has been. I agree Kirby is underachieving but he’s still been very successful

Kirby rides the talent hes given in most games but when in comes to crunch time he folds like a cheap lawn chair. Hes not elite, hes not great, hes a good coach who gets kids to campus.

Hes a John Calippari type.

It's a UGA fan, come on now. The day I can't tell one off is a sad day, need a break. Will be back to celebrate when the Vols win a baseball natty! Whoo!

I hate UGA but I hope JH is half as successful as Kirby has been. I agree Kirby is underachieving but he’s still been very successful
I guarantee you that if he had that talent, he would be. Kirby was very fortunate to walk into a top 10 team. He has improved the talent, but he has not improved the w/l record. Heup has to build this thing the hard way unfortunately.

I guarantee you that if he had that talent, he would be. Kirby was very fortunate to walk into a top 10 team. He has improved the talent, but he has not improved the w/l record. Heup has to build this thing the hard way unfortunately.
Sadly we will never know because he will never get that kind of talent.

Reactions: Catbone
There is more to it than grades though. To play this year, there has to be or will have to be waivers. I'm still not sure how he gets playing this year even with a waiver, not sure I have heard of an academic waiver. He isn't eligible at LSU and he doesn't meet the requirements for a transfer to UGA.
He’s good to go, took classes at GPC, spring and Maymester. He couldn’t have enrolled without being eligible first. The fall classes you mention were incompletes, not fail. I loved taking courses in May and summer, seemed easier and way less crowded.

Imo Smart is as much of a threat as anyone could be with Saban around. Realistically it’s Saban’s league and has been for a while. It goes Saban, massive drop off to Dabo, and then those hoping to break through (Riley, Smart, Day, and Kelly). This seems like a if not now then when kind of year for Smart and Riley with Bama losing all those WR’s and breaking in a new QB. Even with all the turnover at Bama I’d still put money on them.
As someone that dislikes Dabo with the heat of a thousand suns...

I'd disagree with the "huge drop off" to Dabo. In fact, there may not be much at all.

Consider that Dabo actually built something from almost nothing. A historically nothing program vs Bama. He recruited top 20/15 for years and still won championships. Jmo but that is (contextually) almost as impressive as what Saban has done at Bama.

Sadly we will never know because he will never get that kind of talent.
Not unless he wins. If he goes the Barnes/Vitello route he’ll be able to get whoever he wants. Look at Barnes. We’ve never recruited like this in basketball. We have recruited like Ga in football.

Kirby rides the talent hes given in most games but when in comes to crunch time he folds like a cheap lawn chair. Hes not elite, hes not great, hes a good coach who gets kids to campus.

Hes a John Calippari type.
He’s coaching mistakes have cost him one and honestly two championships

He’s good to go, took classes at GPC, spring and Maymester. He couldn’t have enrolled without being eligible first. The fall classes you mention were incompletes, not fail. I loved taking courses in May and summer, seemed easier and way less crowded.
Yeah, but obviously he’s not coming to play school. He’s proven that much. Can he maintain it.

I agree...and yet...it's hard to separate this from them getting into said positions to begin with.

Like people bashing Barnes for losing in March. Well...yes, but the high expectations and chances to win big (seccg and ncaa) were partly there to begin with due to him. And yes I get CRB and Kirby walked into wildly different situations...just an example of how a coach can both be praised and blamed for reaching great heights and yet falling short simultaneously.

I don't think it's crazy to say Kirby is a solid coach, but also has important shortcomings which he may never overcome. Just like Richt. They could do better...they could do worse too.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
I agree...and yet...it's hard to separate this from them getting into said positions to begin with.

Like people bashing Barnes for losing in March. Well...yes, but the high expectations and chances to win big (seccg and ncaa) were partly there to begin with due to him. And yes I get CRB and Kirby walked into wildly different situations...just an example of how a coach can both be praised and blamed for reaching great heights and yet falling short simultaneously.

I don't think it's crazy to say Kirby is a solid coach, but also has important shortcomings which he may never overcome. Just like Richt. They could do better...they could do worse too.
They’re lucky they didn’t do worse with replacing Richt.

Reactions: Devo182

Im not saying one is better than the other because both Alabama and Georgia are rich with talent but theres simply no excuse for him not to be in the title picture yearly. They have to much talent and almost zero turnover as far as coaches

Reactions: Orangeslice13
There is more to it than grades though. To play this year, there has to be or will have to be waivers. I'm still not sure how he gets playing this year even with a waiver, not sure I have heard of an academic waiver. He isn't eligible at LSU and he doesn't meet the requirements for a transfer to UGA.
You think that'll stop them? Kirby still has an in with the SEC commissioner. I expect AG will magically find his way into playing this year.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yeah, but obviously he’s not coming to play school. He’s proven that much. Can he maintain it.
That’s the million dollar question, hopefully every kid takes advantage of the educational opportunity they have in college.

Its been said before but if Richt didnt fall off there at the end they would have the same exact coach. The two records are very similar.

Almost identical, think Richt had one less loss at this juncture. Only difference being the juggernaut in Tuscaloosa now and Smart being in the NC game. But to be fair to Richt, he probably makes the playoffs in 02, 05, 07, and 12 if there had been playoffs. Richt wasn’t fired for his first 5 years, it was his last 10 when he got complacent.

He will have to break thru at some point I agree, but at this point, one of 3 coaches in the sport since he was hired to win 50+, win a league championship, appear in NC. You can guess the other two. Also first since Steve Spurrier in the 90s to win the division 3x in a row. His #s look very similar to the UT glory years of the 90s 95-97, I guess just needs a Tee Martin or Clint Stoerner to have a 98 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolByLaw
One that thinks TN fans need to look outside their little bubbles and realize a good coach when one is presented. I mean for crying out loud dude you compared one of the worst coaches the SEC has ever seen to Kirby Smart.
Kirby, Muschamp, Pruitt are all basically the same coach. Don’t care about records. They all walked into different situations. Kirby has a better talent pool right now than Saban ever has had. You can do basically nothing with what UGA has and go 10-2. Look at Muschamp.. goes into Florida post Meyer and goes to a sugar bowl... then he goes to a talentless school like SC and can’t win more than 6 games a year. Kirby at Tennessee would be a 6-6 coach. Defensive minded coaches simply don’t cut it in CFB anymore. If Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, even Lane Kiffin had the type of talent UGA has right now, their team would be considered one of the best in CFB history and they would murder everyone on their way to an easy 15-0 season. Bama included. Even Saban has completely changed his mentality. Until I see Kirby change his philosophy completely to go fully up tempo with a majority passing game, he’ll still be just another Saban assistant that got handed the best hand you possibly could.

Kirby, Muschamp, Pruitt are all basically the same coach. Don’t care about records. They all walked into different situations. Kirby has a better talent pool right now than Saban ever has had. You can do basically nothing with what UGA has and go 10-2. Look at Muschamp.. goes into Florida post Meyer and goes to a sugar bowl... then he goes to a talentless school like SC and can’t win more than 6 games a year. Kirby at Tennessee would be a 6-6 coach. Defensive minded coaches simply don’t cut it in CFB anymore. If Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, even Lane Kiffin had the type of talent UGA has right now, their team would be considered one of the best in CFB history and they would murder everyone on their way to an easy 15-0 season. Bama included. Even Saban has completely changed his mentality. Until I see Kirby change his philosophy completely to go fully up tempo with a majority passing game, he’ll still be just another Saban assistant that got handed the best hand you possibly could.
Don't know much about his OC Monken, but if they can't do it this year he may never do it. New QB at Florida, new QB at Bama, new staff and QB at TN, new QB at TX A&M, little experience at QB at LSU, new coach at Auburn.
The upper echelon of the SEC has lots of question marks. Kirby needs to win the SEC and be in the playoffs this year or his narrative may begin to change.

The only knock against the comparison between Richt vs Smart is that Richt never had them in a Championship game. Also, the last 5 years of Richt were pretty bad. Recruiting had fallen off big time. Yes, he did leave with 10 wins his last year but that 10th win came in the Belk Bowl. Not exactly what UGA wants to accomplish I'd guess.

Gonna be funny when Kirby inevitably comes up short with a top 3 roster in CFB. Theyll be ready to fire this guy by December. Seen this story 500 times and I Look forward to seeing it play out yet again. Cant wait to see him play 1994 style football despite having all those thoroughbreds on offense. They win the Summer National Title every single year.

VN Store

Back