'20 GA ATH Arik Gilbert (LSU commit)

I doubt Kirby would’ve had the same success here. He went to an already loaded team so he didn’t have to really build there. Not to mention anyone halfway decent as a recruiter should easily be able to pull Top 10 classes there. I think there are good coaches that could’ve gone there and won a title within the last 6 seasons. He’s basically Mark Richt 2.0 with a national title appearance. Richt also had to battle against much better Florida and Tennessee teams.

I think Smart has done a pretty good job in his first 5 seasons as a head coach. He brought some organizational skills that have been helpful and he has a good understanding of defense. I understand how football message boards work, always criticize your rival's coach. But beating out an established dynasty like Alabama is never easy, and LSU weighed in with one of the all time great offensive teams in 2019 to boot. IMO, the biggest mistake Smart has made so far was promoting from within when Chaney left, and he didn't waste any time changing that after one after one season of James Coley. Maybe he'll never win a championship at UGA, probably not just based on probabilities, but I haven't seen anything yet to rule it out (finding the right QB would help).

Taking Gilbert, however, is not a game changer IMO, and maybe even a mistake. I don't like to make definitive statements about a player's talent, but I'll be shocked if Gilbert is a useful substitute for what George Pickens can do when healthy (which is what some people are assuming), and his ability to be a team player is in doubt. Of the two players Georgia got today, I think Kendrick has a better chance to help in 2021, assuming both of them are eligible and still around when the season starts.

We already had Kirby as a head coach here, he went 3-7 and got fired for paying players

We had a HC that consistently recruited in the top 5, is 4-1 in bowl games, won the East 3 times in a row, won the SEC once, played for a NC, has only lost 9 conference games in 5 years and has a 52-14 overall record?

Wow he got fired?

I’d love to be a better football team and not lose many games.

Kirby has benefited from taking over a great situation and making it a little bit better. He’s a terrible in game coach but gets his rep from recruiting a plethora of five and high four stars onto the roster. He hasn’t met expectations and only has one playoff appearance to show for all the talent he’s accrued. Him being our coach wouldn’t solve our problems.

Both things can be true.

You make some good points. But saying Kirby Smart sucks as a HC is simply lazy.

Reactions: VolByLaw
We had a HC that consistently recruited in the top 5, is 4-1 in bowl games, won the East 3 times in a row, won the SEC once, played for a NC, has only lost 9 conference games in 5 years and has a 52-14 overall record?

Wow he got fired?
What Tennessee fan puts THIS much effort into defending a rival coach lol

What Tennessee fan puts THIS much effort into defending a rival coach lol

One that thinks TN fans need to look outside their little bubbles and realize a good coach when one is presented. I mean for crying out loud dude you compared one of the worst coaches the SEC has ever seen to Kirby Smart.

Just another meaningless addition that should cause some friction based on how much who was paid what. Although I am sure GA will do a better job than LSU of making sure he stays eligible considering Pickens, and their hard work there. Did help us figure out who are the actual Tennessee fans though.

Kirby Smart....I fart in his general direction.

R1b5e1aa5905581c637f2864b11c5b9c7

Now all you dawg fans can go away, or I will taunt you a second time.

Kirby sucks? Lol. If he coached here and had the success he has had at UGA, you would be saying he is great.

Saying Kirby Smart sucks and 1980, is just a way for Vol fans to ease the pain of getting donkey stomped by UGA every year.

I would take Kirby Smart as a HC here in a spot second.

Bro, Smart literally walked into the best situation.

You’re acting like he had to start from scratch.

He’s in a state where elite talent is produced every year. I hope to goodness he’d able to recruit there.

Bro, Smart literally walked into the best situation.

You’re acting like he had to start from scratch.

He’s in a state where elite talent is produced every year. I hope to goodness he’d able to recruit there.
Heupel inherited an undefeated team then went 12-1, 10-3 and 6-4 in Florida and we defend that. I'm not dogging Heupel but let's be consistent. Smart inherited a good program and it has not regressed. The guy is a good football coach and UGA will be a problem until he leaves or they get caught cheating.

Heupel inherited an undefeated team then went 12-1, 10-3 and 6-4 in Florida and we defend that. I'm not dogging Heupel but let's be consistent. Smart inherited a good program and it has not regressed. The guy is a good football coach and UGA will be a problem until he leaves or they get caught cheating.

There’s better coaches out there that produce more with less.

Give somebody like Matt Campbell Kirby’s talent and they’re a legit threat for a National Championship every year.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
Give somebody like Matt Campbell Kirby’s talent and they’re a legit threat for a National Championship every year.
Imo Smart is as much of a threat as anyone could be with Saban around. Realistically it’s Saban’s league and has been for a while. It goes Saban, massive drop off to Dabo, and then those hoping to break through (Riley, Smart, Day, and Kelly). This seems like a if not now then when kind of year for Smart and Riley with Bama losing all those WR’s and breaking in a new QB. Even with all the turnover at Bama I’d still put money on them.

They're a legit threat to win the national championship every year now. If you have a team talent composite ranking of 2 and you finish 4th is that really under performing? Bama has had #1 recruiting class 9 of the last 12 years, but Saban has only won 6 national championships in that time. Is he underperforming? I live for they day they get caught cheating but Kirby is a Top 10 coach easy.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
They're a legit threat to win the national championship every year now. If you have a team talent composite ranking of 2 and you finish 4th is that really under performing? Bama has had #1 recruiting class 9 of the last 12 years, but Saban has only won 6 national championships in that time. Is he underperforming? I live for they day they get caught cheating but Kirby is a Top 10 coach easy.

Smart isn’t a good day in-game coach.

He has the talent to compete with Saban but can’t get it done.

Again, it’s easy to say he’s a “great coach” when he took over a 10 win program with elite talent in his backyard.

Bama wasn’t a threat before Nick Saban got there. He built that program into a winning machine.

Okay. He struggled a bit with freshman classes at LSU.

There is more to it than grades though. To play this year, there has to be or will have to be waivers. I'm still not sure how he gets playing this year even with a waiver, not sure I have heard of an academic waiver. He isn't eligible at LSU and he doesn't meet the requirements for a transfer to UGA.

Kirby sucks? Lol. If he coached here and had the success he has had at UGA, you would be saying he is great.

Saying Kirby Smart sucks and 1980, is just a way for Vol fans to ease the pain of getting donkey stomped by UGA every year.

I would take Kirby Smart as a HC here in a spot second.
Our Admin lacks the competency for someone as dirty as Kirby to succeed here.... i.e. Jeremy Pruitt

I guarantee he was attempting to run the show like Saban and Kirby do, but the fact is we are to far behind them in that game

So basically we got some talent like the Bammers or UGA's of the world but the results from that talent never came, and the tactics ultimately go on to cost JP his job

Only way UT gets back now is through legit coaches that develop talent, not a glorified bagman with a bowl cut that can't win the big game.

VN Store

Back