• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

G.o.a.t

Stats rarely tell the whole story. You're argument could be setting Vol Nation for much disappointment because if Tom Brady stays healthy, he has a good shot at many of Peyton's records. In fact, with seven victories next season he takes over the all-time wins total.

Yet, IMHO, Brady isn't close to Peyton in all-around accomplishment. He wasn't a great college qb, and he's had the fortune to play for a defensive genius in the NFL who knows how to skirt the rules with the best. Simply consider, this year's Peyton team is the first with a Top Five defense. Brady has rarely played with a team with a D "not" ranked near the top.

Go Vols!

Win he go into the hall as a Bronco or Colt?
Hard decisions . Took both to the super bowl 2x

I certainly don't know but, if it were me ... a Bronco. The Colts turned their back on him after all he had done. Elway and the Broncos believed.

More importantly, he'll retire as a Volunteer!

GOAT? Absolutely.

Stats say otherwise. They debated this the other day on ESPN. Peyton leads Brady in about every stat except superbowl wins. Peyton Manning = GOAT. Say what you want but stats and records don't lie.

Well given the fact that he has played three more seasons than Brady, shouldn't he have better stats? And it doesn't matter, Joe Cool is the GOAT.

Reactions: 2 people
Stats say otherwise. They debated this the other day on ESPN. Peyton leads Brady in about every stat except superbowl wins. Peyton Manning = GOAT. Say what you want but stats and records don't lie.

I love Manning, but if I needed to pick one quarterback to win me a Super Bowl, I would be lying if I said I would take Manning over Brady.

I love Manning, but if I needed to pick one quarterback to win me a Super Bowl, I would be lying if I said I would take Manning over Brady.

I think the stats do back that up:

Peyton: 3 TD, 5 INT in 4 Super Bowls
Brady: 13 TD, 4 INT in 6 Super Bowls

But..how can you not include Montana in this discussion?

Montana: 11 TD, 0 INT in 4 Super Bowls

I guess you could argue that Montana had Rice, while Peyton and Brady didn't have that level of WR.

Reactions: 1 person
Who's the best? It will always be a matter of opinion but ask yourself this - who would you rather go drink a beer with? if anyone says Tom Brady turn in your man card now.

I think the stats do back that up:

Peyton: 3 TD, 5 INT in 4 Super Bowls
Brady: 13 TD, 4 INT in 6 Super Bowls

But..how can you not include Montana in this discussion?

Montana: 11 TD, 0 INT in 4 Super Bowls

I guess you could argue that Montana had Rice, while Peyton and Brady didn't have that level of WR.

Montana won two Super Bowls before Jerry Rice ever played a down for San Francisco, so that argument doesn't hold much water.

Reactions: 3 people

Parcells,"Your are who your #s say you are."

Peyton has better #s than Brady = GOAT

Parcells,"Your are who your #s say you are."

Peyton has better #s than Brady = GOAT

So if Tom Brady plays three or four more seasons and breaks most of Peyton's records, will you say he is the GOAT?

Tom Brady, with 194 total wins, will blow by this record and set it so high no one will ever break it. And this is coming from a Tom Brady hater.

Tom Brady, with 194 total wins, will blow by this record and set it so high no one will ever break it. And this is coming from a Tom Brady hater.

That's not the record he needs to break. He needs to break the total TDs, yards, and 4000+ yards/season records. Those are the QB definiing records - total number of wins is similar to SB's which is more of a team record than individual.
Also, I think Drew Breeze is more likely than Brady to ultimately have all the individual records. He is ahead of Brady in yards and tied for TD's, but if I remember correctly he is a year or two younger than Brady.

GOAT is always a fun arguing point. Most would agree Jordan is the GOAT in the NBA, but there are still people out there who would say Chamberlain, Russell, or even a Bryant.

GOAT QB is really tough. I'd tend to say there are several that could lay claim to that...Montana, Brady, Manning, even a Favre and Elway, but Manning certainly is one of the GOAT. Statistically, no one can take away what he's done. He's also done it with two different teams. Brady can't say that. Montana can't say that. You put Montana on the Chiefs and he looks very average while Young steps in and wins a Super Bowl at SF. Brady has always had great defenses and a lot of stability with the Patriots. Elway did it in the twilight of his career when he had an amazing defense.

Well, statistically he is. I mean, he pretty much owns all the records now, plus he has 4 SB appearances and not one but two SB wins! Plus he's the only QB in history to win the SB with two different teams! Granted, there are QB's who have more SB wins but other than that, the stats belong to Peyton. I don't see how it's even an argument really. Plus throw in the intangibles like work ethic, his humility, his attitude, etc. Peyton represents all that is good about the NFL.

Probably because you're a Manning fan. To say there is no argument is pretty silly. Of course there is an argument.

GOAT is always a fun arguing point. Most would agree Jordan is the GOAT in the NBA, but there are still people out there who would say Chamberlain, Russell, or even a Bryant.

GOAT QB is really tough. I'd tend to say there are several that could lay claim to that...Montana, Brady, Manning, even a Favre and Elway, but Manning certainly is one of the GOAT. Statistically, no one can take away what he's done. He's also done it with two different teams. Brady can't say that. Montana can't say that. You put Montana on the Chiefs and he looks very average while Young steps in and wins a Super Bowl at SF. Brady has always had great defenses and a lot of stability with the Patriots. Elway did it in the twilight of his career when he had an amazing defense.

Montana wasn't "very average" with the Chiefs; he made the Pro Bowl, led KC to their first division title in 22 years, had 2 come from behind playoff victories and made the AFC Championship, and led them to a Wild Card in 1994, then retired.

it's a short list of qb's that can be in this conversation and each of them have some things on their resume that are "only"....Brady is the only QB to go to 6 super bowls.....Montana and Bradshaw are the only ones to go undefeated. Manning is the only one to lead more than 1 team to multiple Super Bowls and win multiple Super Bowls.

it's a short list and just like before last night, you won't ever be able to have this conversation w/out Montana, Brady and Manning being mentioned at the top of the list.

VN Store

Back