G.o.a.t

it's a short list of qb's that can be in this conversation and each of them have some things on their resume that are "only"....Brady is the only QB to go to 6 super bowls.....Montana and Bradshaw are the only ones to go undefeated. Manning is the only one to lead more than 1 team to multiple Super Bowls and win multiple Super Bowls.

it's a short list and just like before last night, you won't ever be able to have this conversation w/out Montana, Brady and Manning being mentioned at the top of the list.

Pretty much. I think people that seem to get all bent out of shape about it and assert their guy is DEFINITELY the GOAT are funny. Being in the short list is an extremely high honor, and people should be satisfied enough with that.

Reactions: 2 people
Stats rarely tell the whole story. You're argument could be setting Vol Nation for much disappointment because if Tom Brady stays healthy, he has a good shot at many of Peyton's records. In fact, with seven victories next season he takes over the all-time wins total.

Yet, IMHO, Brady isn't close to Peyton in all-around accomplishment. He wasn't a great college qb, and he's had the fortune to play for a defensive genius in the NFL who knows how to skirt the rules with the best. Simply consider, this year's Peyton team is the first with a Top Five defense. Brady has rarely played with a team with a D "not" ranked near the top.

Go Vols!

Nonsense. Brady is a hell of a QB regardless of where he'd have wound up and (good grief) his college play doesn't change that. That his path collided with Hoodie is just luck of the draw.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, statistically he is. I mean, he pretty much owns all the records now, plus he has 4 SB appearances and not one but two SB wins! Plus he's the only QB in history to win the SB with two different teams! Granted, there are QB's who have more SB wins but other than that, the stats belong to Peyton. I don't see how it's even an argument really. Plus throw in the intangibles like work ethic, his humility, his attitude, etc. Peyton represents all that is good about the NFL.

And...he likes chocolate ice cream and puppies.

Montana wasn't "very average" with the Chiefs; he made the Pro Bowl, led KC to their first division title in 22 years, had 2 come from behind playoff victories and made the AFC Championship, and led them to a Wild Card in 1994, then retired.

...and he beat the 1994 49ers which is one of the all-time great teams

Nonsense. Brady is a hell of a QB regardless of where he'd have wound up and (good grief) his college play doesn't change that. That his path collided with Hoodie is just luck of the draw.

Brady beat Bama in a bowl game so I don't totally hate him

Reactions: 1 person
it's a short list of qb's that can be in this conversation and each of them have some things on their resume that are "only"....Brady is the only QB to go to 6 super bowls.....Montana and Bradshaw are the only ones to go undefeated. Manning is the only one to lead more than 1 team to multiple Super Bowls and win multiple Super Bowls.

it's a short list and just like before last night, you won't ever be able to have this conversation w/out Montana, Brady and Manning being mentioned at the top of the list.

Aikman was 3-0 in the SB. I look at it like Young was better than Aikman, Manning was better than Brady, Fouts and Staubach were better than Bradshaw but Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman had teams that were better.

Picture from the Denver airport.

YLcA74j.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Can't help you if you don't see Brady having a huge advantage having the top coach and the best owner/organization for his entire 16 years.

Belichick is obviously great, but you may want to look at his record without Tom Brady.

Maybe Tom leaves the pats and takes an 8-8 team to 2 SBs in 3 years. I doubt it, though.

No, he just took a 5-11 team that was off to an 0-2 start and won 3 Super Bowls in four years.

Reactions: 2 people
Aikman was 3-0 in the SB. I look at it like Young was better than Aikman, Manning was better than Brady, Fouts and Staubach were better than Bradshaw but Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman had teams that were better.
Aikman is never in the conversation for GOAT. because he's not.

you have a very short list of qb's that fit.

Montana, Brady, Elway and Manning i think are the Mt Rushmore.

then you have a log jam of really good elite qb's like Aikman, Bradshaw, Starr, Unitas, Staubach, Favre, Marino etc....

again it's subjective. i'm right. you're' right. we're all right in our own minds.

I doubt there will be consensus as to who the GOAT is. What I do know is there are 3 names in the discussion and Peyton's one of them (Montana and Brady as well).

What an honor to be in that group. What an honor that he was a Vol. Congrats, Peyton.

I def think Peyton is the greatest of all time, he revolutionized the QB position.

I doubt there will be consensus as to who the GOAT is. What I do know is there are 3 names in the discussion and Peyton's one of them (Montana and Brady as well).

What an honor to be in that group. What an honor that he was a Vol. Congrats, Peyton.

And there shouldn't be. It's a moving target, and it's not like the game is ending.

Aikman is never in the conversation for GOAT. because he's not.

you have a very short list of qb's that fit.

Montana, Brady, Elway and Manning i think are the Mt Rushmore.

then you have a log jam of really good elite qb's like Aikman, Bradshaw, Starr, Unitas, Staubach, Favre, Marino etc....

again it's subjective. i'm right. you're' right. we're all right in our own minds.

I agree about Aikman but during the height of the 49ers and Cowboys rivalry in the early and mid 90's there were many that pointed to Aikman as better than Steve because Steve hadn't won a Superbowl. I like Elway but I think Favre and Marino were better. I never understood how the Dolphins could never build a team around Marino.

Belichick is obviously great, but you may want to look at his record without Tom Brady.

He took the Browns to a playoff win (ironically over the Pats) just before the owner decided to leave town. I wouldn't say he was an abject failure.

No, he just took a 5-11 team that was off to an 0-2 start and won 3 Super Bowls in four years.

Much like Manning this year, Brady wasn't asked to do much in those first 3 Super Bowl runs.

I'm not saying he was Trent Dilfer or anything but he certainly wasn't putting the team on his back and willing them to victory. I'm also not saying they could have done it with just any QB.

The thing Brady does best is buy in to the system and get others to do the same. He's a great leader.

No doubt at all.

Greatest QB of all time... quite possibly, a matter of opinion. Greatest ambassador of the game and UT football... absolutely. Greatest pro football player of all time... Jerry Rice, hands down.

Last edited:
He took the Browns to a playoff win (ironically over the Pats) just before the owner decided to leave town. I wouldn't say he was an abject failure.

Much like Manning this year, Brady wasn't asked to do much in those first 3 Super Bowl runs.

I'm not saying he was Trent Dilfer or anything but he certainly wasn't putting the team on his back and willing them to victory. I'm also not saying they could have done it with just any QB.

The thing Brady does best is buy in to the system and get others to do the same. He's a great leader.

I agree to an extent, but I think there is a difference between Brady during the first Super Bowl run and Brady going for the second and third Super Bowls. He was a highly effective quarterback and very clutch.

VN Store

Back