Future Coach

Wtf is wrong with our fanbase? Let’s hire an assistant that has never been a head coach? I love English, but goodness we should shoot higher. We are a Top 3 team in the SEC and a Top 20 program, Top 3 national attendance the last couple years and regularly Top 10.

Texas A&M hired Buzz Williams, Arkansas hired previous head coach who had won a lot at a high level MM in Eric Musselman and Alabama hired one of the hot young names who had won at the MM level...but we should settle for a guy never to be a HC?

Wtf is wrong with our fanbase? Let’s hire an assistant that has never been a head coach? I love English, but goodness we should shoot higher. We are a Top 3 team in the SEC and a Top 20 program, Top 3 national attendance the last couple years and regularly Top 10.

Texas A&M hired Buzz Williams, Arkansas hired previous head coach who had won a lot at a high level MM in Eric Musselman and Alabama hired one of the hot young names who had won at the MM level...but we should settle for a guy never to be a HC?
Took "most" of the words right out of my mouth. While all these names mentioned are probably good young coaches our program is WAY past that now. We SHOULD be able to hire a well seasoned proven head coach when the time comes. For some reason our BasketVols don't get the respect they deserve and I'm with you BTO.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

Yep and mizzu shouldn’t hire him yet either. He needs a mid major job first

Schwartz and English both could be special though. I wouldn't be against taking a chance on either one.

We've also gone the route of mildly successful coaches at lower levels and have done alright. The bigger problem has possibly been with their bosses rather than them. KO and BP were up and comer Sweet 16 coaches. Their bosses were really bad.

Devoe was okay... actually very good initially. I think that Cuonzo could have grown into a decent coach here, but things didn't line up well for him.

Buzz and Houston just weren't head coach material. Donnie was crooked and in too deep by the time he landed in Knoxville. The higher level coaches (and programs) in the SEC also pretty much figured him out around January after the lower level coaches were schooled by him through December.

Jerry is what you end up with when the AD doesn't give a crap about basketball and is an obnoxious jerk. But ADs do need to be somewhat jerkish and not allow the NCAA to abuse us.

If Barnes was to stay mentally sharp for many years into retirement, he could be a great resource to help Schwartz, English, or even Oliver. TN hasn't had a good coaching transition in the modern era. Mears might have been capable of that, but he was across the state still working at Martin. Devoe, Houston, Jerry, Buzz, Bruce, and Donnie... all fired. KO and Cuonzo both quit in angry huffs. We need The Deacon to be our best performing former coach ever.

Not interested in doing “alright” and 2 P5 jobs later Counzo still isn’t a good coach.

I don't think that Cuonzo is as bad of a coach as it appears. He's like Devoe in some ways. Heavily focused on defense and not necessarily well suited for modern players. Maybe emphasizes discipline, but he's recruited big names that don't necessarily fit his vision. He is more on Buzz's level with the Xs and Os though. Some of his deficiencies could have been addressed with the right assistants. Cuonzo's biggest hinderance at UT was the ghost of Bruce lurking around. The fans didn't embrace him immediately after Pearl and he did not handle it well. He lost credibility with every job change. Had he brought the talent to TN like he did at Cal and Missouri he could have been quite successful as the UTHC. He's a good guy that was far too different from Bruce in philosophy, style, and personality.

I could have sworn Forbes was 60 currently, but it turns out I’m wrong. I stand corrected. Still don’t want him as our next coach.
I don’t think that’s likely to happen at UT. I wish it was. Traditionally, we don’t have coaches that stay that long. I think the blue blood jobs would likely take a coach that was successful here for multiple years from us, ie Ucla

Wouldn’t you rather have a guy who has been sitting along side Barnes for 5 years being groomed who is already familiar with the program, recruits, and system?
Could be a moot point. English gets a job at a MM for a couple years, does great, then comes back home. BTO get out of the box a little bit 😂

Getting proven, winning HCs in basketball is just like football. You have to go assistant or MM. A HC in most any sport at a P5 school, and is pretty good, is not leaving for another school, unless, there is something going on in the background (Jimbo from Fl St)

When Coach Barnes decides to retire, the Tennessee job will be a very coveted position that UT can choose among almost any coach in the country excluding Duke, Kansas, etc.

I could see CRB coaching another decade before retiring as long as he has good health.

When Coach Barnes decides to retire, the Tennessee job will be a very coveted position that UT can choose among almost any coach in the country excluding Duke, Kansas, etc.

I could see CRB coaching another decade before retiring as long as he has good health.
1589503195259.gif

Exactly what I've been saying.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

Not so sure about that, but we shouldn't be settling for an assistant who has never been a head coach at any level, either.

Not so sure about that, but we shouldn't be settling for an assistant who has never been a head coach at any level, either.
Our AD isn’t afraid to do that. Jermey Pruitt is turning out to look like a great hire. It’s not settling, it’s more about potential.

Our AD isn’t afraid to do that. Jermey Pruitt is turning out to look like a great hire. It’s not settling, it’s more about potential.
Ok, but let's not act as if Jeremy Pruitt was our top choice. That's a little disingenuous. He fell into our laps following a disastrous search, and still hasn't won anything of significance, yet. I have all the hope in the world that he eventually does get us back, bit we settled for him because of his potential. The Tennessee basketball team should be in an infinitely better position to attract a more experienced candidate when Barnes hangs it up.

Ok, but let's not act as if Jeremy Pruitt was our top choice. That's a little disingenuous. He fell into our laps following a disastrous search, and still hasn't won anything of significance, yet. I have all the hope in the world that he eventually does get us back, bit we settled for him because of his potential. The Tennessee basketball team should be in an infinitely better position to attract a more experienced candidate when Barnes hangs it up.
Well said.

Reactions: cncchris33
Another thought, it’s not like Barnes was highly sought after Texas canned him. We were lucky to hire him AND keep him this past year imo with the success he has had.

Barnes will hopefully have us in a much better position when he leaves to make a good hire, but it won’t be a big name like some are insinuating on here.

Reactions: a vol n tears
Another thought, it’s not like Barnes was highly sought after Texas canned him. We were lucky to hire him AND keep him this past year imo with the success he has had.

Barnes will hopefully have us in a much better position when he leaves to make a good hire, but it won’t be a big name like some are insinuating on here.
Tennessee will be a much bigger name than it was when Rick Barnes was hired and Tennessee shouldn't be an on the job training program for no-name Mid Major Head Coaches!

VN Store

Back