Funny Story of How Jay Cutler Ended Up at Vandy

Not only that, but said he didn't know where Nashville was. I was thinking the same as you.

This part was the kicker for me. Not knowing where Vanderbilt is at is one thing; it's a private school and it's not obvious from the name where it's at if you're unfamiliar with it. But how do you not know where Nashville is at? His high school was only 160 miles from Nashville; that's like living in Knoxville and not knowing where Atlanta or Charlotte are at.

Last edited:
Not only that, but said he didn't know where Nashville was. I was thinking the same as you.

Adding to that, who still had dial up internet in 2002? Bunch of savages up there in Indiana I guess.

Anyway, I always liked Cutler. Seemed like a good dude who just danced to the beat of his own drummer and didn't really care what anyone thought about it.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Not saying Vandy should be seriously well known like Notre Dame or anything, but geez if he didn't know Vandy was in Nashville how could he have been smart enough to even get into Vandy ?
My first thought as well. Maybe he was one of those really book smart kids - good at test taking but couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag.

Adding to that, who still had dial up internet in 2002? Bunch of savages up there in Indiana I guess.

Anyway, I always liked Cutler. Seemed like a good dude who just danced to the beat of his own drummer and didn't really care what anyone thought about it.

In 2002? A lot of people.

Reactions: UTwild82 and Aesius
"I'm like 'where the hell is Nashville?' "

This is just stupid. Its either made up or he's way too dumb to have been able to go to Vandy without cheating on academics. I say its made up. Its the state-freaking-capital. And it aint that far from Indiana. Its not like this is a kid from Idaho wondering where Raleigh is.

The idea that so many of y’all think kids are geography buffs is hilarious. I’d love to see y’all on a state capital quiz without google in front of you

The idea that so many of y’all think kids are geography buffs is hilarious. I’d love to see y’all on a state capital quiz without google in front of you
Jay Cutler is from Santa Claus, IN and went to high school in Lincoln City, a small town in southern Indiana. Knowing where Nashville is, a large capital city which is 2.5 hours and 160 miles away from where he was born and had lived his entire life up until that point, would hardly have made him a geography buff. If he was from the west coast or something, I suppose I could understand not knowing where it was, even though Nashville is a decent-sized city and the capital of a state. It isn't some backwater town.

That's mind-blowing he didn't know where Nashville was, or seemingly had never heard of it. Especially considering he was strong enough academically to get into Vandy. That's like a kid who was born and lived in Dalton, GA not knowing where Nashville is.

Jay Cutler is from Santa Claus, IN and went to high school in Lincoln City, a small town in southern Indiana. Knowing where Nashville is, a large capital city which is 2.5 hours and 160 miles away from where he was born and had lived his entire life up until that point, would hardly have made him a geography buff. If he was from the west coast or something, I suppose I could understand not knowing where it was, even though Nashville is a decent-sized city and the capital of a state. It isn't some backwater town.
That's mind-blowing he didn't know where Nashville was, or seemingly had never heard of it. Especially considering he was strong enough academically to get into Vandy. That's like a kid who was born and lived in Dalton, GA not knowing where Nashville is.

out of all posters, I'd put the most money on you failing the geography quiz. Unless you like country music, no kid cares whatsoever about where Nashville is, or the capital of Tennessee if it's two states away.

out of all posters, I'd put the most money on you failing the geography quiz. Unless you like country music, no kid cares whatsoever about where Nashville is, or the capital of Tennessee if it's two states away.
You'd lose a boatload of money.

Not caring about it, and never hearing of it are totally different. I don't give a damn about Tallahasse, FL but I know it's the captial of Florida and I've heard of it. Even if I didn't know it was the capital, I've heard of it.

If it had been MTSU I could buy he'd never heard of Murfreesboro, but Nashville? And this was what, 2001? The Titans had played in the Super Bowl 2 years earlier. A football guy didn't know that, even if he wasn't a big NFL fan?

Not caring about it, and never hearing of it are totally different. I don't give a damn about Tallahasse, FL but I know it's the captial of Florida and I've heard of it. Even if I didn't know it was the capital, I've heard of it.

If it had been MTSU I could buy he'd never heard of Murfreesboro, but Nashville? And this was what, 2001? The Titans had played in the Super Bowl 2 years earlier. A football guy didn't know that, even if he wasn't a big NFL fan?
Tennessee isn’t Florida for starters. And most people couldn’t tell you Tallahassee was the capital anyway

You seem to be greatly missing the point of all this.
Actually, I just haven’t brought it up, and neither has anyone else. The real story here is that even though a lot in this post are making fun of Vandy for not even knowing who Cutler was, no one else was heavily recruiting him at qb either. So it’s not just a Vandy thing

But more to your point, most high school kids are likely really disappointed to learn Tallahassee is really just South Georgia, far from the “Florida” they’re expecting

VN Store

Back