Fun Science Facts

The comment was more directed at the thought of 'you never touch your hands together, that it's electrons touching. It's a distinction without a difference.

It should have been, "you never touch your hands together, it is merely electrons in your hands repelling one another".

It's not a 'fun' fact, but interesting. A large amount of the damage from a nuclear weapon doesn't come from the initial blast, but from fires after the fact. The bright light is so intense that flash fires immediately start in the line of sight for miles. These are small fires but basically emanate from the blast site in a circular fashion. As the fires burn they heat the air around them which rises. This air is replaced by fresh air pulled along the ground toward the center of the circle - bringing fresh oxygen with it. The winds reach very high speeds ultimately leading to a fire storm within an hour or so. This is similar in principle to the fire storm in Dresden during WWII. It is this fire storm that creates much of The eventual destruction because it reaches greater distances than the initial blast.

If you ever spill gas on your hands at the pump, just turn the heat on in your car and stick your fingers in front of the vent. The high volatility of the gas will cause it to rapidly evaporate in the warm air that is blowing by.

It's not a 'fun' fact, but interesting. A large amount of the damage from a nuclear weapon doesn't come from the initial blast, but from fires after the fact. The bright light is so intense that flash fires immediately start in the line of sight for miles. These are small fires but basically emanate from the blast site in a circular fashion. As the fires burn they heat the air around them which rises. This air is replaced by fresh air pulled along the ground toward the center of the circle - bringing fresh oxygen with it. The winds reach very high speeds ultimately leading to a fire storm within an hour or so. This is similar in principle to the fire storm in Dresden during WWII. It is this fire storm that creates much of The eventual destruction because it reaches greater distances than the initial blast.

Kurt Vonnegut's portrayal of the Dresden firebombing in Slaughterhouse V is haunting.

Reactions: 1 person
It is merely an illusion (start you off looking one way and then switch perspective on you).

You can look at it either via the hotel's perspective or the girl's perspective.

Girls perspective:

They paid $10 each for the hotel. Additionally, they each receive $1 from the hotel as a rebate. So, for each girl:

$10 - $1= $9

All of them:

$9 x 3 = $27 or $30 - $3 = $27

The $27 is not an illusion. The girls paid that to the hotel.

From the hotel's perspective:

The girls paid $30 initially. The rate was only $25. Thus, the actual rate per girl for the hotel room was really $25/3 = $8.33. The extra $5 was returned. $25 + $2 + $1 + $1 + $1 = $30.

The crux of the illusion is when they compare the amount of what the girls think they paid for the hotel ($27) to the initial amount of money they gave to the hotel ($30). Think is the key word. They are running off the assumption of the $30 rate; not the actual $25 rate. If they compared what they paid to the hotel ($27) with what the actual rate is ($25), they they would get the $2 in the bell hop's pocket.

After all this mumbo jumbo you still cant deny that they each have 10 dollars invested initially which equals 30 bucks. After each gets a dollar back, they have 9 dollars invested which equals 27 bucks. Its a fact that cant be disputed.

After all this mumbo jumbo you still cant deny that they each have 10 dollars invested initially which equals 30 bucks. After each gets a dollar back, they have 9 dollars invested which equals 27 bucks. Its a fact that cant be disputed.

And what's the problem with that?

They have $27 invested. $25 to the hotel and $2 to the bell hop.

Before they gave the hotel $30. None of that money disappeared. It isn't there $27 investment plus the bel hops $2 profit that should be added. Those are different sides of the balance sheet.

It should be:

Original Payment - Refund = Hotel Profit + Bell Hop Profit

30 - 3 = 25 + 2

Or said another way, money didn't disappear. There were $30 initially. In the end, the girls have $3 of it, the hotel $25, and the bell hop $2.

Since PKT posted about this theory earlier in the thread I've been researching it and it caused my mind to be blown. Forgive my ignorance (this is well above my pay-grade) but am I right in believing that we are not really "alive" so to speak? Are we simply "re-uploaded" to another simulated reality and my other question would be what happens when this simulation eventually ends? Thanks for posting about it, pretty interesting.

Since PKT posted about this theory earlier in the thread I've been researching it and it caused my mind to be blown. Forgive my ignorance (this is well above my pay-grade) but am I right in believing that we are not really "alive" so to speak? Are we simply "re-uploaded" to another simulated reality and my other question would be what happens when this simulation eventually ends? Thanks for posting about it, pretty interesting.

Pretty sure you guys are mixing up Solipsism and Holographic Principle. They have nothing in common. Holographic Principle does not say that reality is not real at all. There is no "simulation."

Pretty sure you guys are mixing up Solipsism and Holographic Principle. They have nothing in common. Holographic Principle does not say that reality is not real at all. There is no "simulation."

Basically what Thrasher said. The Holographic Principle does not state that reality is a possible simulation. It just says our apparent (deceptive) 3d reality is actually a projection of 2d data.

I'll see if I can post a general interest fact or two.

Warm water can freeze faster than cold water.

It's the Mpemba effect. We say "Not always" because science has no damn clue why it happens or what the parameters are, just like how water actually expands when it freezes instead of getting smaller like most things do.

My textbook explains it like this

There exists a set of initial parameters, and a pair of temperatures, such that given two bodies of water identical in these parameters, and differing only in initial uniform temperatures, the hot one will freeze sooner

VN Store

Back