Fun Science Facts

Instead of trying to debate philosophy why don't you acknowledge my original retort, or Insuneri's. It's a mathematical FACT that there are more stars than sand.

I don't "hate" God crap, it's just annoying and doesn't belong in a science thread. It's philosophical at best.

Uh ok. I acknowledge your retort. You seem to be better versed on the subject than I am so I will take your word for it. I was just saying earlier that it would be very hard to count the grains of sand. But if you think it's legit than it's probably legit. I don't know much on the subject.

I wasn't debating philosophy, just following up on your statement that it's been said that the human brain cannot comprehend the sheer size of the universe.

So how about you put your sword away?

Uh ok. I acknowledge your retort. You seem to be better versed on the subject than I am so I will take your word for it. I was just saying earlier that it would be very hard to count the grains of sand. But if you think it's legit than it's probably legit. I don't know much on the subject.

I wasn't debating philosophy, just following up on your statement that it's been said that the human brain cannot comprehend the sheer size of the universe.

So how about you put your sword away?

As I mentioned earlier, you can't put an exact number on such large quantities, but you can calculate an acurate margin of error...the math is actually quite simple. It was a question on one of my astronomy exams. But yes, no more non-science debating, per title of thread.

Love this kind of thought.

Scientist: Quantum physics can prove there's an afterlife | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

I think its a take on the theory about All the universe being like binary data on a hard drive.... Information.

Technically its the theory of biocentrism.

Lanza said that biocentrism explains that the universe only exists because of an individual's consciousness of it - essentially life and biology are central to reality, which in turn creates the universe; the universe itself does not create life.

Technically its the theory of biocentrism.

Lanza said that biocentrism explains that the universe only exists because of an individual's consciousness of it - essentially life and biology are central to reality, which in turn creates the universe; the universe itself does not create life.

Ever heard of schrodinger's paradox?

The Physics Behind Schrödinger's Cat Paradox

This one must be dear to Ron Mexico's heart

Dunning–Kruger effect

David Dunning and Justin Kruger published the study "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments". Basically, dumb/ignorant people are over confident in their abilities/knowledge while talented/knowledgeable people have more self-doubt/underestimate their ability.

I must be a genius then because personally I don't think I can go anything right most of the time.

Three girls rented a hotel room for 30 dollars. They were excited because it only cost them 10 bucks each. Once the bell hop came back down after dropping off their bags the manager called him into his office and said " we charged those girls too much so here's 5 dollars, go give it back to them". On the way back up to their room the bell hop thought to himself that it would be hard to split 5 dollars between 3 girls so he put 2 dollars in his pocket. He gave the girls back 3 dollars and they split it 1 dollar a piece. They were excited and started bragging that they got such a nice room for only 9 dollars each for a total of 27 dollars. The bell hop felt bad for taking the 2 dollars so he gave it back to them right before he left. All the money is now accounted for but it only adds up to 29 dollars. What happened to the other dollar?

Last edited:
Three girls rented a hotel room for 30 dollars. They were excited because it only cost them 10 bucks each. Once the bell hop came back down after dropping off their bags the manager called him into his office and said " we charged those girls too much so here's 5 dollars, go give it back to them". On the way back up to their room the bell hop thought to himself that it would be hard to split 5 dollars between 3 girls so he put 2 dollars in his pocket. He gave the girls back 3 dollars and they split it 1 dollar a piece. They were excited and started bragging that they got such a nice room for only 9 dollars each for a total of 27 dollars. The bell hop felt bad for taking the 2 dollars so he gave it back to them right before he left. All the money is now back in their possession but it only adds up to 29 dollars now. What happened to the other dollar?

You lost me at "three".

Three girls rented a hotel room for 30 dollars. They were excited because it only cost them 10 bucks each. Once the bell hop came back down after dropping off their bags the manager called him into his office and said " we charged those girls too much so here's 5 dollars, go give it back to them". On the way back up to their room the bell hop thought toy himself that it would be hard to split 5 dollars between 3 girls so he put 2 dollars in his pocket. He gave the girls back 3 dollars and they split it 1 dollar a piece. They were excited and started bragging that they got such a nice room for only 9 dollars each for a total of 27 dollars. The bell hop felt bad for taking the 2 dollars so he gave it back to them right before he left. All the money is now accounted for but it only adds up to 29 dollars. What happened to the other dollar?

30 - 5 + 3 = 28 not 27

I've seen this before but the answer escapes me and I refuse to look it up.

They didn't pay $9 exactly. If you start with 25 and work back it's 25 + 2 + 3 = 30

They paid 10 each at first. After each got a dollar back, they each have 9 dollars invested. That's 27 dollars plus the 2 dollars from the bell hop.

They paid 10 each at first. After each got a dollar back, they each have 9 dollars invested. That's 27 dollars plus the 2 dollars from the bell hop.

When each got their dollars back, that's 26, 27, and 28. (25 +3) Then there's 2 left over.

9 x 3 = 27 plus 2 dollars from bell hop still equals 29.

It's just odd, you'd think it would work out.

It is merely an illusion (start you off looking one way and then switch perspective on you).

You can look at it either via the hotel's perspective or the girl's perspective.

Girls perspective:

They paid $10 each for the hotel. Additionally, they each receive $1 from the hotel as a rebate. So, for each girl:

$10 - $1= $9

All of them:

$9 x 3 = $27 or $30 - $3 = $27

The $27 is not an illusion. The girls paid that to the hotel.

From the hotel's perspective:

The girls paid $30 initially. The rate was only $25. Thus, the actual rate per girl for the hotel room was really $25/3 = $8.33. The extra $5 was returned. $25 + $2 + $1 + $1 + $1 = $30.

The crux of the illusion is when they compare the amount of what the girls think they paid for the hotel ($27) to the initial amount of money they gave to the hotel ($30). Think is the key word. They are running off the assumption of the $30 rate; not the actual $25 rate. If they compared what they paid to the hotel ($27) with what the actual rate is ($25), they they would get the $2 in the bell hop's pocket.

The electrons are no less a part of your hand than their nuclei or the molecules they make up.

I think what he was getting at is that the atoms aren't solid material. At the nuclear level, it's really just the valence shells repelling each other. It keeps your right hand from moving through your left when you rub them together.

I think what he was getting at is that the atoms aren't solid material. At the nuclear level, it's really just the valence shells repelling each other. It keeps your right hand from moving through your left when you rub them together.

The comment was more directed at the thought of 'you never touch your hands together, that it's electrons touching. It's a distinction without a difference.

VN Store

Back