Fulmer's Silence ?

With Fulmer's ego, wouldn't surprise me if he let's Pruitt ride out the year and then makes himself the coach . . . he's a notorious back stabber.

Reactions: onevol74
A.D. Fulmer knows this fan base is being led by a group of posters that think they know the answers to all the questions....No sense trying to calm those that don't want to be calmed....

He'll hang in there with Pruitt, even if Fulmer gets fired again.

Either way it pans out, Fulmer is an hard head son of a gun...

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Unlike the fans, Fulmer is not stupid enough to make some statement every time things are unpleasant. Fortunately, Fulmer knows to stay the heck out of things so he doesnt undermine the coach he hand picked and let him do his job. I am just hoping it all turns out by the end of Y3 like Fulmer hoped.

He hasn't spoken because is there no serious consideration of even exploring making a change right now by people that matter. It is only stupid message board chatter at best. Him speaking about anything legitimizes the conversation. Also, if he says it now, he would have to come out and repeat the same support every week for the next month because we are going to get steamrolled the next few games and the questions will be "how about now? Still support him?"

Very stupid PR move to say anything.

Fulmer in tough spot. Needs to show support publicly while emphasizing need to improve. The more visible he is, the more folks latch onto narrative of Fulmer wanting to take over coaching (never gonna happen)...or that he's meddling. He also needs to have the entire crew in for a fireside chat...fear is a powerful motivator. But, I do believe Fulmer will be VERY patient w/ Pruitt for three reasons:

He felt he was rushed out, and is sensitive to doing the same, and probably discussed how long it will take to rebuild during interview.
He personally chose Pruitt.
The best option if you feel Pruitt up to the job is to weather the storm and concentrate on getting better, for brighter days ahead.

All this being said with a disclaimer ...if they are playing the back half of the season like they played 3 of the first four games, with continued regression and no improvement, I think you have to cut bait quickly and move on.

Fulmer's silence abut Tennessee's season so far is quite quizzical to me. As a former successful coach who is now AD, I am sure he knows what a good coach looks like. He sees Pruitt on daily basis, sees what Pruitt is doing, sees his daily calls etc. If anyone, Fulmer should know whether Pruitt can get it done by now. That is why it is surprising that Fulmer hasn't come out in support of Pruitt. He could come out and say 'this place was a mess when we got here. I know Pruitt will right this ship, we just need time'. Something like that could calm the fan base down a lot and also not hurt recruiting. Fulmer knows that Tennessee fan base, he knows how impatient and passionate we are.

So could it be that he knows Pruitt is over his head and is waiting for opportune time to make a move (end of season or October) or he is still running around getting support from his bosses to make his next move ??

I really dont think if Fulmer thought Pruitt was the right guy, he would have kept quiet so long. He would have definitely come out and said something to calm the fans down.
I expect Fulmer to replace Pruitt after the Alabama game.

He hasn't spoken because is there no serious consideration of even exploring making a change right now by people that matter. It is only stupid message board chatter at best. Him speaking about anything legitimizes the conversation. Also, if he says it now, he would have to come out and repeat the same support every week for the next month because we are going to get steamrolled the next few games and the questions will be "how about now? Still support him?"

Very stupid PR move to say anything.
Phil will be walking out shortly after a coaching change is made

I’m as pro Pruitt as they get. This being Fulmers pick it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has tunnel vision and has blocked everything out. Furthermore I can damn sure see him clapping as soon as Pruitt enters a room

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
There is nothing Phil can say that will help. So he may as well just keep his mouth shut. Time will tell if Pruitt’s the man. It would be nice to know what the master plan is. Are we still looking for and developing players or have we moved on to trying to become a better team.

Couple of things I thing a lot of folks are missing:

Who was the OC when Dooley kept rolling Simms out there to take the beating before bringing in Bray? Chaney.

Who was the HC when golden boy QB Peyton Manning was waiting in the wings like Harrison Bailey is now? Fulmer.

I think we're seeing a replay of the past (at least in terms of how players are being handled right now)....

Reactions: kcvols1
I expect Fulmer to replace Pruitt after the Alabama game.

After Georgia State, Fulmer should have appeared with Pruitt and said that they both know and feel that result is unacceptable. They both should have apologized to the fans and begged for our forgiveness and patience to turn it around.

I suspect that CPF is still taking straw polls. IMHO, he would probably like to come out with a statement of support. But doing so without making sure the big supporters are behind him could make the support hollow and jeopardize Fulmer further. Fulmer is already in this. He chose Pruitt. He invested a lot of political capital when he did. It is GREATLY to Fulmer's advantage for Pruitt to somehow survive.

One of the things you guys may not have thought about is that Pruitt's failure could end Fulmer AND bring a return of the old power structure that got the program into this mess in the first place.

Alabama will beat Tennessee by 40+ points no matter who coaches the team that Saturday

The entire coaching staffs could switch places that Saturday and our coaches on the Alabubba side would lay 40+ points on Saban and Co on our sideline. What do you think Pruitt and Ansley could do with bama's D roster? Chaney with their O? That says much of what you need to know.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Michigan fans want Harbaugh fired.

I think Phil loves UT. I also think he has an ego. I wonder if he really really wants a coach that will win 150+ games at UT? Will his ego prevent him from hiring the guy who could get us to, and keep us at, the level of top schools like Clemson, bama, uga, etc.? Or will he allow UT to remain mediocre and thereby preserve his own legacy as coach?

To me his legacy would be dramatically increased if he were to hire the guy who did just that. He would be a legend as coach AND as AD. And, by the same token, his legacy would be forever tarnished if he doesn't find the right coach.

I'm not sure how long Fulmer plans on being the AD but I think Fulmer will retire and leave the unpleasantness of firing Pruitt up to the next AD.

I’m as pro Pruitt as they get. This being Fulmers pick it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has tunnel vision and has blocked everything out. Furthermore I can damn sure see him clapping as soon as Pruitt enters a room

That's likely. After all, the majority of what he did as the program slid into mediocrity in the 2000s was waddle back and forth on the sideline, with that pained expression he gets, clapping after every Randy Sanders-designed bubble screen failed to pick up a first down.......

Last edited:
That's likely. After all, the majority of what he did as the program slid into mediocrity in the 200s was waddle back and forth on the sideline, with that pained expression he gets, clapping after every Randy Sanders-designed bubble screen failed to pick up a first down.......

And that’s one thing I never understood

Why TF clap after bad things happen

VN Store

Back