Fulmer v. Brown (8 years from now)

you people do realize that this is the same mack brown that up until a year ago couldn't win a big game.

Well, as I was reading another thread that was rehashing for the millionth time whether Fulmer should be evaluated today on his 1) significant career achievements at UT, or 2) disappointing results over the past 5-8 years, it occurred to me that Mack Brown at Texas is in a very similar position as Fulmer was in Knoxville in 1999. I would be interested to know, if we knew what brown would do in his next 7 years, how would he be evaluated?

So, look into the future, and see that:

Texas finishes this year at 11-3 with a BCS loss

2007 is disappointing, culminating with an 8-4 record and a loss in the Cotton Bowl

2008 Texas is knocked out of the National Title game with an upset loss in the Big 12 CG. They route their Cotton Bowl opponent to finish in the top 5.

2009 Another disappointing season, going 8-5 with an embarrassing loss in a 2nd tier bowl.

2010 A 10-win season and a tie for their division crown, but fate drops them to a 2nd tier bowl again, where they lose.

2011 They win their division, but lose the CG. They again route their Cotton Bowl opponent.

2012 After lofty preseason rankings in the top 5, Texas implodes and goes 5-6.

2013 An improved team from the previous year, the Horns drop 3 conference games and are looking at a mid-level bowl game again.

In 2014, how do you evaluate Brown? Does he get the boot, or do they build a statue to him in Austin?

I would like to hear what the Volnation has to say.

You forgot to add that Mack Brown gets a pay raise/extension right before losing the bowl game at the end of 2010 season...

Counting this year, Carr will have 5 BCS bowls.
Not including this year, 5 Big 10 championships too. A few second place finishes. Carr is winning a lot more championships at the moment.

Also, Carr has a winning record against every singler team he has faced at least 3 times, except Notre Dame who he is .500 against. I think that is pretty impressive.

Carr's lost his last 4 bowl games also

Another poster hit the nail on the head. Mack is not the best X's and O's coach. He delegates authority. If, for example, we cannot run the ball next year (for those who didn't see it, our running game was worse than the Vols'.) Greg Davis will be gone. He's not necessarily quick to pull the trigger on his coaches, but he is smart enough to realize a problem and fix it. In '99, we had horrible special teams play. It got fixed. We had horrible offensive line play a couple of years ago and he axed the O-line coach. It has been better as of late -- save the rushing attack this year.

Bottom line is that Mack works as the "CEO" of TX football. Problems are eventually fixed one way or another. He wouldn't last more than two years with 4 or 5+ losses in a season.

By the way, congrats on your recruiting class. It looks like TN may be well on its way back to the top of the SEC with some of the players I saw in today's Army All-American game.

VN Store

Back