Fulmer is a legend

Very good post. If fulmer wants to pound the rock. I have never known it to be very effective with no fullback.

Actually, the last time I remember that phrase, "pound the rock," was in 2001. There is a nice poster of Travis Stephens holding a sledge hammer while standing over a large rock and that phrase is in large bold letters.

I support Fulmer too! The Vols are not top 5 caliber this year. Phil has done a good job. One bad year isn't terrible. Lots of schools would love to have 8 or 9 win seasons. Nothing wrong with 9 win seasons. The SEC is more competitive this season than in quite sometime. Florida and LSU are heads above everyone else in the SEC. Need the players to be able to have an AWESOME season. Of course the players have to give it everything too!
GO VOLS!

yeah numbers dont lie do they? one of the winningest coaches in college football and because we are combining last years streaky ending with this years slow start we come up with losing 6 of our last 8 or whatever you crazy stat junkies like to talk about
He was around '01. Since then his percentage has plummeted like a fish hawk diving for a trout.

All true. The point I was making was in response to whoever said that Majors was fired after years of mediocre seasons. A co-championship is still a championship, and let's not forget that we did beat Florida 45-3 in 1990. I don't consider 89 and 90 to be mediocre seasons. 91 and 92 yes, without a doubt. On the other hand, if this season stays true to form, this will be 6 mediocre seasons in a row for Fulmer, and 8 in 9 years.

So explain how a 9-2-2 season in 1990 is not mediocre, yet 9-3 seasons in 1991 and 1992 are mediocre?

I find it hard to call Fulmer a legend... Really hard.

Its real hard to call anybody a legend while they are an active coach. Usually that title is reserved for a coach after some career perspective is applied. Some coaches end on a high note, like Tom Osborne. Others note so much. Even Bear Bryant had a rough end, losing 6 games and tying another in his final 2 seasons. Not bad seasons, but subpar by his previous successes. But of course, don't forget Bear's back-to-back 6-5 seasons in 1969 and 1970. They were preceded by 8-3 and 8-2-1. As good as he was in the early 1960's, he was even better in the mid to late 1970's. He went on to dominate the SEC for a little over a decade, winning 9 SEC Championships and 3 national championships before he retired.

What if Bear had been fired after that 4 year stretch?: (8-2-1, 8-3, 6-5, 6-5-1)

Its real hard to call anybody a legend while they are an active coach. Usually that title is reserved for a coach after some career perspective is applied. Some coaches end on a high note, like Tom Osborne. Others note so much. Even Bear Bryant had a rough end, losing 6 games and tying another in his final 2 seasons. Not bad seasons, but subpar by his previous successes. But of course, don't forget Bear's back-to-back 6-5 seasons in 1969 and 1970. They were preceded by 8-3 and 8-2-1. As good as he was in the early 1960's, he was even better in the mid to late 1970's. He went on to dominate the SEC for a little over a decade, winning 9 SEC Championships and 3 national championships before he retired.

What if Bear had been fired after that 4 year stretch?: (8-2-1, 8-3, 6-5, 6-5-1)

There wouldn't be as many delusional Bammer fans in the world?? :dunno:

He turned that team around way too fast to get fired for that 4 year stretch... They were way awful before he took over.

And he had won three national championships and gone unbeaten 5 times. If Fulmer did that, I would never criticize him for a bad season.

Sorry, I thought thread was a joke, I just finished laughing when I realized the guy was serious.

We all want the same thing to compete for and win a SEC East every couple of years and a SEC Championship every 3-5 years and play for National Championships.

I personally would like to see Phil get us back to that level.

Finding a great head coach is an iffy proposition.

Gruden's name keeps popping up, is he the next Al Groh from the Jets to VA, or the next Pete Carroll at USC.

If you take other OC, DC's or head coaches, do you end up like Alabama, and go through coaches like Paris Hilton through boyfriends?

Either way, Mike Hamilton has a tough job.

We all want the same thing to compete for and win a SEC East every couple of years and a SEC Championship every 3-5 years and play for National Championships.

I personally would like to see Phil get us back to that level.

Finding a great head coach is an iffy proposition.

Gruden's name keeps popping up, is he the next Al Groh from the Jets to VA, or the next Pete Carroll at USC.

Going by the NFL records, he is the best of the three... That said, its hard to see Gruden getting UT to USC's level right now for a long period of time.

I support Fulmer too! The Vols are not top 5 caliber this year. Phil has done a good job. One bad year isn't terrible. Lots of schools would love to have 8 or 9 win seasons. Nothing wrong with 9 win seasons. The SEC is more competitive this season than in quite sometime. Florida and LSU are heads above everyone else in the SEC. Need the players to be able to have an AWESOME season. Of course the players have to give it everything too!
GO VOLS!

Fulmer padded his stats heavily in the 90's when there were very few good coaches in the SEC. In 2000's, the other SEC schools have made some very good coaching hires, and now Fulmer is middle of the pack in SEC coaches if you're extremely generous in your assessment of his coaching prowess.

Your comment about there being nothing wrong with 9 win seasons ultimately cuts to the heart of the matter. For those UT fans that are perfectly content with mediocrity, Fulmer continues to do a good job. For those of us that don't settle for mediocrity in our lives, Fulmer needs to go immediately. For a few of us, including me, his departure has been a long time in coming.

I like Fulmer as well and I think he knows that he is on the HOT SEAT as he should be. Yes, Fulmer is a legend...in the state of Tennessee, we need him to be a legend in the Nation.

Let me put this in perspective for you:
If Fulmer were to leave UT, how many "elite" programs would be standing in line to snatch him up?
.....Exactly, so why should he be coaching at UT?

VN Store

Back