Fulmer is a legend

What kills me is Fulmer not willing to open up the offense and show something different.Its been the same offense since he took over.He's like an old lady set in her ways and nobody is going to change it.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. The offense has made many evolutions since 1993. From a primarily running offense in 1993, to the pass happy offense from '94-'97, then to a bruising run game in '98 and'99. Then to a more balanced attacked in '00 and '01. Then the downfall of the productivity when the Vols have not been able to run effectively since. Only in 2004 with two 1,000 yard rushers... but even then each game was hit or miss if the Vols would be effective rushing. Now the Vols run a no-huddle offense with 3 and sometimes 4 wideouts. I don't think I've seen a fullback play at all in the first 3 games. In my opinion, the Vols have changed too much. Sign the big linemen that can run block, and just run over everybody like they did back when they had James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Aaron Hayden, and Mose Phillips or later on when they had Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, Jamal Lewis, and Shawn Bryson. Have you not noticed how many times in the past several seasons the Vols have done everything BUT run inside the 5-yard line?!?

I gotta disagree with you on this one. The offense has made many evolutions since 1993. From a primarily running offense in 1993, to the pass happy offense from '94-'97, then to a bruising run game in '98 and'99. Then to a more balanced attacked in '00 and '01. Then the downfall of the productivity when the Vols have not been able to run effectively since. Only in 2004 with two 1,000 yard rushers... but even then each game was hit or miss if the Vols would be effective rushing. Now the Vols run a no-huddle offense with 3 and sometimes 4 wideouts. I don't think I've seen a fullback play at all in the first 3 games. In my opinion, the Vols have changed too much. Sign the big linemen that can run block, and just run over everybody like they did back when they had James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Aaron Hayden, and Mose Phillips or later on when they had Travis Henry, Travis Stephens, Jamal Lewis, and Shawn Bryson. Have you not noticed how many times in the past several seasons the Vols have done everything BUT run inside the 5-yard line?!?
another very good post.

as people always say...in the '90's, Fulmer won with pure talent...now the caliber of talent in the SEC basically matches tennessee

I am just as disapointed about florida as anyone. But i for one love fulmer. And i just want to say that I fully support coach Fulmer in his job.If he has lost the desire or edge than he should go out on his own terms. I love how everyone wanting a coaching change thinks we are magically going to be a contender with someone new. Fulmer is a legend no matter how you want to look at it. And when he leaves he will be remembered positively throughtout the fan-base. People that say that Majors got a shady deal have a good point and I can understand where you come from. But other than that, what do you expect? This guy won a national title and put us on the elite level and we need to support him and the team and quit trying to act like we know how to coach or what to do.

responses like this is the reason tennessee will never be on top again. the man has lost his edge, he can no longer win at a consistant level in the sec. he has to go.

I am just as disapointed about florida as anyone. But i for one love fulmer. And i just want to say that I fully support coach Fulmer in his job.If he has lost the desire or edge than he should go out on his own terms. I love how everyone wanting a coaching change thinks we are magically going to be a contender with someone new. Fulmer is a legend no matter how you want to look at it. And when he leaves he will be remembered positively throughtout the fan-base. People that say that Majors got a shady deal have a good point and I can understand where you come from. But other than that, what do you expect? This guy won a national title and put us on the elite level and we need to support him and the team and quit trying to act like we know how to coach or what to do.
If he keeps up at the pace he is going, he will have a u-haul setting in his front yard soon. I think he should be remembered for his accomplishments. But if he wants to leave under good terms. He needs to figure out when its time.

Very good post. If fulmer wants to pound the rock. I have never known it to be very effective with no fullback.

many wouldve said the same thing for paterno in 2000 when p state went 5-7 then 5-6 and again in 03' 3-9 and 04' 4-7

Very good post. If fulmer wants to pound the rock. I have never known it to be very effective with no fullback.

surprised this is the first time FB mentioned in awhile. the extra TE has not shown any difference in the light of success.

didnt Majors win a National Championship too? He was let go after years of mediocre results. It is almost 10 years since our last national championship and being in contention every year. COACH FULMER has my utmost respect I love the guy for what he has done. But it is time to be put out to pasture and remember the good times instead of killing his legacy with this UnInspiring Effort.

Just as soon as I stop laughing, I'll post a response.

i think everyone will appreciate what he has done......but what is happening is every day he loses,"wrong things", he diminishes the "great things" of the past.

many wouldve said the same thing for paterno in 2000 when p state went 5-7 then 5-6 and again in 03' 3-9 and 04' 4-7

Right. Had I been a PSU fan, I would have been on that bandwagon.

I'm not. And the fact is that PSU won't see another shot at the BCS title while Jo Pa's still around.

They're happy in Happy Valley. Let 'em have it.

Knoxville is a very "p-o'd" town right now.

For what it's worth, PSU would probably dust the Vols (again) if they played tomorrow.

I assume you're ok with that.

I'm not.

i think your crazy... fulmer will go down as one of the best coaches in the last few decades if not more
Only at Tennessee - If CPF were to leave at the end of the season name 1 top 25 or NFL program that would hire him as head Coach........................not even Michigan:cray:

didnt Majors win a National Championship too? He was let go after years of mediocre results.
He won the National Title at Pittsburgh the year before he came to Tennessee. And he was let go two years after winning his second straight SEC championship.

Im sorry but this makes me sick
carrey.gif

He won the National Title at Pittsburgh the year before he came to Tennessee. And he was let go two years after winning his second straight SEC championship.

It should be pointed out that both of Tennessee's SEC champioships under Majors came after Florida had finished with a better conference record but were ineligible due to NCAA sanctions....'89 was a three way tie with Auburn and Alabama....Tennessee has only had three head coaches since 1970 while everyone else in the SEC has had at least four - less than 10% of Head Coaches hired into the SEC since 1930 have lasted at least 15 years at one school either by their own choice or their administration's...Each of the last two Tennessee Head Coaches have lasted 15 years - it all means that we have credibility when we make a change - nobody is going to beat up Tennessee for replacing Fulmer and it is time.

It should be pointed out that both of Tennessee's SEC champioships under Majors came after Florida had finished with a better conference record but were ineligible due to NCAA sanctions....'89 was a three way tie with Auburn and Alabama.....
All true. The point I was making was in response to whoever said that Majors was fired after years of mediocre seasons. A co-championship is still a championship, and let's not forget that we did beat Florida 45-3 in 1990. I don't consider 89 and 90 to be mediocre seasons. 91 and 92 yes, without a doubt. On the other hand, if this season stays true to form, this will be 6 mediocre seasons in a row for Fulmer, and 8 in 9 years.

VN Store

Back