Fulmer coach in waiting (article)

My husband is convinced they will Fire Pruitt and instate Fulmer as interim. I can’t remember what school did that recently...AD coaching after the head coach was fired....but I sure hope not

Very possible. Could have been part of the plan the whole time. Bring in a guy that he knew wouldn’t cut it, let him get embarrassed (especially knowing he’s a die-hard Bammer just as Phil is a die-hard Vol), take over for a few years for stability and then hand it over to Tee.

Preposterous. Just a bunch of people preying on Volunteer fans' frustrations by writing whatever controversial commentary they can come up with -- in this case, the AD is a former head coach so let's whip up a bunch of fluff about him taking over because it'll get clicks. And considering how far away Tennessee is from being a superior product, I submit that Adams and others like him will see more value in helping to pull Tennessee down, rather than lift it up. It's just business for them.

Tennessee would be set either way.

Pruitt is a HoF coach with a few NC under his belt and Coach Fulmer is already established as one the greatest of all time. We are lucky to have an embarrassment of riches.

Reactions: Frank Duncan
There was a reason AD Fulmer was dismissed. His effective time as a coach was up--just like nearly all coaches he had his time and it passed. Fulmer is not UT's future.

Pruitt may or may not be the answer but know one knows yet. UT brought him here without any experience (as HC) and now he is entitled to a fair chance. Check back next year and get off his back for now so he isn't second guessing everything he has to do. As of today, he has not been provided a fair opportunity to show whether or not he can be a head coach.

Very possible. Could have been part of the plan the whole time. Bring in a guy that he knew wouldn’t cut it, let him get embarrassed (especially knowing he’s a die-hard Bammer just as Phil is a die-hard Vol), take over for a few years for stability and then hand it over to Tee.

Mmmmm.......not trying to disagree with ya, but the only problem I have in all of this is if this is the plan then why is Fulmer dishing out record amounts of money for assistants and coaches and weight room remodeling etc. if he wants Pruitt to fail? Additionally, you cant tell me he didnt have a little hand in helping Chaney (who is a proven commodity) move back up here to Knoxville and/or bringing Tee over who is a proven recruiter and quite honestly has looked pretty good so far with the WR's. I just cant see him dishing out all kinds of positive help for Pruitt if he actually wants him to fail?........going with a no here for both he and a Tee takeover plot.

There is no way that happens. I would bet he doesn’t even want it. He won his trophy and now sits in a big spot at the university. Not to mention getting older and grandkids. Just, no.

Reactions: BenGrimm
The way to stop the carousel we’ve been on is this. If JP can’t turn it around this year, then fire FULMER. Hire a reputable AD with the understanding that if CJP can’t turn it around in the 3rd year then he/she can hire the head coach of their choosing. This lowers buyouts and gets Fuller out of the decision loop. The only way he should ever coach a down at UT again is if he names a successor that isn’t Tee Martin and coaches for his AD salary.

Reactions: vettefool

VN Store

Back