Fulmer blew it this time

When we were trying to hire a guy for Jones, I really didnt want leach or Schiano because of the baggage of each. So when Fulmer A HOF coach with a NC Ring said that we needed a SEC guy who coached in the SEC I had no reason to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. After all , Smart at Ga. was doing well , they were winning SEC East crowns . Pruitt , who Fulmer said could recruit welland had an eye for talent in the rough, was the man to save us. I can tolerate his bad

grammar and rambling

\
like a 80 year old cause, by Gosh, we are gonna win again, be in the topten, make Ga & Bama respect us again ( take a bite outta their Azz) etc. etc. None of what Fulmer said has been true. The first 2 qbs he signs are nice kids who will never play in the SEC. So, now in year 3 we are retrogressing each week. Whether it happens this year or next, we will fire the incompetent Pruitt and begin our sad ritual once again. Paying a bunch of guys not to coach, making fools of ourselves with a tragic-comic search and hire another marginal coach > We will say the top-shelf guys wont come here when we really mean is we wont pay them well enough to come here. UT and Knoxville are better than most jobs out there. Pay them and they will come and get us out of this hellish cycle we"ve been in for 15 years. PLEASE- you are killing the football program with your ineptness.
Fulmer made the right hire in Pruitt.

I don’t blame Fulmer for the hire of Pruitt. His options were limited and it wasn’t a terrible gamble given Pruitt’s pedigree. I do however fault Fulmer for the extension and the contract details. As much as pruitt is in over his head as a head coach, Fulmer is moreso in over his head as an AD.
This all day.

Serious question. Whatever happened to all of the hype and popularity around David Blackburn as a potential AD? I realize he is no longer at UT Chattanooga and is now at Middle Tennessee. I just recall so much discussion about bringing him back to Knoxville as AD. Did something happen while he was at UTC?
Once his candidacy heated up, a lot of rumors about a personal problem started leaking. I never heard him address it, so I don't know whether those rumors were accurate. There was another rumor that a certain mega-booster who happens to be Fulmer's biggest backer claimed that Blackburn brushed him off at an event and it somehow morphed into a vendetta.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
When we were trying to hire a guy for Jones, I really didnt want leach or Schiano because of the baggage of each. So when Fulmer A HOF coach with a NC Ring said that we needed a SEC guy who coached in the SEC I had no reason to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. After all , Smart at Ga. was doing well , they were winning SEC East crowns . Pruitt , who Fulmer said could recruit welland had an eye for talent in the rough, was the man to save us. I can tolerate his bad

grammar and rambling

\
like a 80 year old cause, by Gosh, we are gonna win again, be in the topten, make Ga & Bama respect us again ( take a bite outta their Azz) etc. etc. None of what Fulmer said has been true. The first 2 qbs he signs are nice kids who will never play in the SEC. So, now in year 3 we are retrogressing each week. Whether it happens this year or next, we will fire the incompetent Pruitt and begin our sad ritual once again. Paying a bunch of guys not to coach, making fools of ourselves with a tragic-comic search and hire another marginal coach > We will say the top-shelf guys wont come here when we really mean is we wont pay them well enough to come here. UT and Knoxville are better than most jobs out there. Pay them and they will come and get us out of this hellish cycle we"ve been in for 15 years. PLEASE- you are killing the football program with your ineptness.
I am absolutely amazed at how short the memories are around this sight. What you're advocating is the same crap that got us started down this steep and precipitous path downward that we have enjoyed for 15 years. Let's get through this wasted year and then sit back and reconsider our options.

I am absolutely amazed at how short the memories are around this sight. What you're advocating is the same crap that got us started down this steep and precipitous path downward that we have enjoyed for 15 years. Let's get through this wasted year and then sit back and reconsider our options.
Fulmer started us on this path with his laziness, followed by his concessions to the egg heads that sacrificed UTAD's autonomy in order to buy Fulmer a couple more lackluster years on the job. Fulmer took over a program that was on third base, then he crossed home plate and he deserves our appreciation for that but he never built jack shite and he presided over the erosion of the program to levels way below what he inherited. It was foolish to think he knows how to fix things.

Dickey had a no brainer hire of Johnny Majors and then helped Fulmer back stab Majors.
Not defending Pruitt, but this board would be talking about how Johnny was washed up and out of his league here. He won the SEC in year 9! No way we wait 9 years to start winning.

Not defending Pruitt, but this board would be talking about how Johnny was washed up and out of his league here. He won the SEC in year 9! No way we wait 9 years to start winning.
it was a different era with different rules, way less media attention, and no internet. add in that Johnny was coming off a national championship when he came here. people had a reason to believe. Hard to say who the equivalent would be today, but if somehow we did bring in Urban Meyer I imagine the patience level would be higher than for someone with Pruitt's resume.

Fulmer started us on this path with his laziness, followed by his concessions to the egg heads that sacrificed UTAD's autonomy in order to buy Fulmer a couple more lackluster years on the job. Fulmer took over a program that was on third base, then he crossed home plate and he deserves our appreciation for that but he never built jack shite and he presided over the erosion of the program to levels way below what he inherited. It was foolish to think he knows how to fix things.
Thanks goodness we all have opinions, otherwise we'd all get backed up, oh wait that's the other part of the adage. Nevermind.

Dickey was another unproven hire who totally destroyed the basketball program with rank incompetence. We have a long history of ineptneas.

basketball was a complete after thought when Dickey was in charge with school and fan base. Doug Dickey built one of the most impressive football factories I have ever seen.

Aside from 98 and several good/great seasons in the 90’s, hasn’t Fulmer blown it at every point since? It’s hard to imagine he’s still a major shot-caller in Tennessee football. The game passed him by 20 years ago and he isn’t catching up.

Agreed, Fulmer has lost touch the the game that evolved into SEC football, the premier college football conference in America, he got lazy in after getting upset in the 2001 championship, he could not compete year in and year out in an upgraded SEC 2002-2008, with two losing seasons in the conference, he obsolescence was confirmed when no other major programs enlisted his services and his coaching career ended in 2008. Why anyone thought Fulmer could do the AD job is beyond me and the only thing sadder than where we are now is Fulmer trying to hire a head coach after Pruitt departs for the NFL. The athletic department will bleed red ink for two more years, given the loss this year and next and the inability to restore the fan following at the end of the 2022 season.
Pruitt's only options in the NFL would be as a position coach, if that. He might not make it past the first interview. Your assumptions are laughable

Truth. Fulmer had next-to-no options. Our problems are well above Fulmer. Look to the BOT. There is where our problems have come

That’s not totally true. Fulmer had two choices that would have taken the job in a heartbeat.

Kiffin or Freeze would have been out the door on the way to Knoxville as soon as they hung up the phone.

I’m afraid that Fulmer’s pride will limit us as it did when he was coaching and he would either not admit or recognize that the game had passed him by.

Last edited:
This wasn't a popular take when Pruitt was hired but many on here like to point out that Pruitt was a part of 5 National Champions. Don't forget, the one at FSU took a last minute TD after AU went 75 yards to take the lead. Then, in 2016, Bama was leading when Clemson took over with about 2 minutes to go. Clemson won on a last second TD.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
This wasn't a popular take when Pruitt was hired but many on here like to point out that Pruitt was a part of 5 National Champions. Don't forget, the one at FSU took a last minute TD after AU went 75 yards to take the lead. Then, in 2016, Bama was leading when Clemson took over with about 2 minutes to go. Clemson won on a last second TD.
Dont think ive ever heard anyone successfully knock a Nat saying. 'but they only....'

people tried that ish with '98 Nat. Look at the crystal football, it is what it is.

Like if someone goes to Medical School and barely passes. Bbbbut...stiiilll a Doc.

Start with Fulmer and clean house or remain at the bottom.
I still don't understand why after the 08 season he has had any favoritism up there on the HILL.... They should've never left him around that program again. I believe Pruitt would be a killer D.C. hire but for head coaching material he is not. It just blows my mind why they won't call Urban Meyer and offer him the job. But still the AD up there needs replaced to

Reactions: dlravol2

VN Store

Back