Fulmer blew it this time

basketball was a complete after thought when Dickey was in charge with school and fan base. Doug Dickey built one of the most impressive football factories I have ever seen.
One of the most impressive you have ever seen? As far as talent is concerned I would tend to agree with you. It's pretty darn good, but you and many others here tend to overinflate our greatness. With the exception of a few years, we were out of the national championship picture after the third game of the year. We were really good, but our top ten status by wins is inflated due to the longevity of the program

Reactions: a vol n tears
When we were trying to hire a guy for Jones, I really didnt want leach or Schiano because of the baggage of each. So when Fulmer A HOF coach with a NC Ring said that we needed a SEC guy who coached in the SEC I had no reason to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. After all , Smart at Ga. was doing well , they were winning SEC East crowns . Pruitt , who Fulmer said could recruit welland had an eye for talent in the rough, was the man to save us. I can tolerate his bad

grammar and rambling

\
like a 80 year old cause, by Gosh, we are gonna win again, be in the topten, make Ga & Bama respect us again ( take a bite outta their Azz) etc. etc. None of what Fulmer said has been true. The first 2 qbs he signs are nice kids who will never play in the SEC. So, now in year 3 we are retrogressing each week. Whether it happens this year or next, we will fire the incompetent Pruitt and begin our sad ritual once again. Paying a bunch of guys not to coach, making fools of ourselves with a tragic-comic search and hire another marginal coach > We will say the top-shelf guys wont come here when we really mean is we wont pay them well enough to come here. UT and Knoxville are better than most jobs out there. Pay them and they will come and get us out of this hellish cycle we"ve been in for 15 years. PLEASE- you are killing the football program with your ineptness.
What happened after winning 8-9 in a row? . All rat poison.

Burnt bridges at UTC with his openness pursuing the UT but had burnt the ones ahead of him with prominent UT boosters. Nowhere to go but the bottom.
I find it hard to believe Middle Tennessee State is below UTC. He was at the bottom already no where to go but up!

I’m referring to the talent. At one point UT was a pipeline to the NFL. It was a football factory, and should have won more than it did.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
He's halfway into year one in a year where he got limited practice with a team built to run 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. His offense is all over football these days, there's no denying it.

The hilarious irony of your post is that Miss State is ranked higher defensively across the board than we are. They are 4th in the SEC in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed.

Agree. Give Leach 3 years to get his guys on the roster and they will be a force

Schiano apparently was aware boys were being abused at PSU, was fired for being a terrible human being and coach at Tampa and Rutgers is currently 1-3 in the pathetic Big Ten. I will pass on Schiano......

The assertion that Schiano knew about the abuse came from 3rd hand knowledge, something that would never hold up to any kind of serious questioning, etc. My issue was more that I just didn’t think he was that great of a coach. He has a sub .500 record as a head coach, and he’s worthy of the keys to a premier SEC program??

Schiano apparently was aware boys were being abused at PSU, was fired for being a terrible human being and coach at Tampa and Rutgers is currently 1-3 in the pathetic Big Ten. I will pass on Schiano......
Not true. I would take him over Pruitt and beat your ass with Pruitt all day long and twice on Sunday

The assertion that Schiano knew about the abuse came from 3rd hand knowledge, something that would never hold up to any kind of serious questioning, etc. My issue was more that I just didn’t think he was that great of a coach. He has a sub .500 record as a head coach, and he’s worthy of the keys to a premier SEC program??
It was from a fellow coach who was the only one to speak out.

Reactions: T_Vol376
At this point, it's going to take far more than a great coach to bring us back into the fold of top contenders. We're a dumpster fire, and outside of Vandy, we're the easiest win for any SEC team that finds us on their schedule.

True, but without a great coach, we will never regain a program that will challenge in the east. It's the foundation for everything else. We are living through a roster that has some talent with no real hope of running with most teams in the SEC thanks to a bad coaching staff.

Believe it or not, good coaching beats good players. Good coaching gets the most out of a team. Good players are only as good as the coach can teach and plan. Good HCs are rare. Notice why the same teams stay on top for long periods of time. Stoops at Ok was always dangerous even though he rearely had top 5-10 recruiting classes. He was excellent at being a HC. He could take the current team and go 8-2 at a minimum.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Fulmers hiring track record is very poor. Remember that he gave Holly an extension and then fired her and followed that up with hiring an unproven coach and nearly broke his arm patting himself on the back for it. We keep doing the same stupid things and expect different results.

Got to totally disagree with you on his choice for women’s basketball Coach. This is Kellie’s 2nd year, and her first full recruiting class arrives next year. Before the NCAA Championships were cancelled last year, Coach Kellie was one of only eleven Coaches to take teams from 3 schools, to the NCAA tournament. Tennessee would have been her 4th school to do this with, being even more rare. Coach Kellie was named Coach of the Year from 2 different conferences, and was named the 2019 Kay Yow National Coach of the Year.

I agree hiring Pruitt is a horrible mistake, and I hope the next football Coach is a guru on Offense. I believe Coach Kellie will be great!

Reactions: tnktm
What happened after winning 8-9 in a row? . All rat poison.

I don't think we were ever that good. You could aee it in the play. What you would've hoped is wins bring out a confidence that we could compete with anyone. It didn't happen.

I never thought Pruitt was the answer. Even during the 8 game win streak the team was not improving. Howeve, name one excellent HC, guaranteed to be worth 7 - $8M a year, that Tenn ( or any school could hire). Great HC do not leave great jobs. They just get bigger raises. Has Jimbo been worth $7.5M so far, is Harbough worth 8-$9M per year, is Chip Kelly worth millions, does Gruden look like he would be worth multi millions, is Gundy worth $7M per year, is the guy at Texas worth $7M. I could go on. All of the above guys were coaches the fans drooled for. Truthfully, schools have to go with unproven coaches. Proven coaches do not leave unless they have done something to tarnish the program. Some unproven coaches can handle running a big program, some grow into it if given time, and most move on. Tenn doesn’t wait and see, so they send them packing and try to catch lightning in a bottle. I don’t know the answer.
I think it’s more about fit in some cases as well. I mean you have your coaches like Saban and Meyer that will be successful anywhere just about. Then you have coaches like Orgeron which are the right fit at the right time for a place.

it was a different era with different rules, way less media attention, and no internet. add in that Johnny was coming off a national championship when he came here. people had a reason to believe. Hard to say who the equivalent would be today, but if somehow we did bring in Urban Meyer I imagine the patience level would be higher than for someone with Pruitt's resume.
Well, that's basically what I was getting at. We gave Johnny forever and we never would have had the success we had back then had it taken that long today. Pruitt may not be the guy, but Texas A&M isn't going to win the West till Saban is gone, and Jimbo will be long gone by then too. UF had way more talent than us and there was no doubt that Mullen would succeed quickly there. UGA fired Richt not because they didn't have talent, but because he wasn't taking it to the next level, so Smart walked into a better situation than even Saban did at Bama, but Bama is gonna be Bama. They really never were anywhere near as bad for as long as we've been. We can't afford it, it's a weird year, and who knows, maybe if we stick with someone for 9 years, things will turn around. They ain't turning around switching coaches every 3 to 5 years.

Reactions: tnktm

VN Store

Back