Fulmer blew it this time

When we were trying to hire a guy for Jones, I really didnt want leach or Schiano because of the baggage of each. So when Fulmer A HOF coach with a NC Ring said that we needed a SEC guy who coached in the SEC I had no reason to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. After all , Smart at Ga. was doing well , they were winning SEC East crowns . Pruitt , who Fulmer said could recruit welland had an eye for talent in the rough, was the man to save us. I can tolerate his bad

grammar and rambling

\
like a 80 year old cause, by Gosh, we are gonna win again, be in the topten, make Ga & Bama respect us again ( take a bite outta their Azz) etc. etc. None of what Fulmer said has been true. The first 2 qbs he signs are nice kids who will never play in the SEC. So, now in year 3 we are retrogressing each week. Whether it happens this year or next, we will fire the incompetent Pruitt and begin our sad ritual once again. Paying a bunch of guys not to coach, making fools of ourselves with a tragic-comic search and hire another marginal coach > We will say the top-shelf guys wont come here when we really mean is we wont pay them well enough to come here. UT and Knoxville are better than most jobs out there. Pay them and they will come and get us out of this hellish cycle we"ve been in for 15 years. PLEASE- you are killing the football program with your ineptness.
no one wanted this job, short memory. that wasnt fulmers fault. he played damage control.

Reactions: USF grad in TN
At this point, it's going to take far more than a great coach to bring us back into the fold of top contenders. We're a dumpster fire, and outside of Vandy, we're the easiest win for any SEC team that finds us on their schedule.

If we had a great coach we'd be competing for the East in year 3. It's what great coaches do.

If we had a great coach we'd be competing for the East in year 3. It's what great coaches do.
I can't help but feel some other aspect would screw us. The administration, the losing mindset that comes with TN football lately, the SEC, the NCAA... It just seems as if we're cursed, and even a good coach would have a harder time here than somewhere of similar potential.

I can't help but feel some other aspect would screw us. The administration, the losing mindset that comes with TN football lately, the SEC, the NCAA... It just seems as if we're cursed, and even a good coach would have a harder time here than somewhere of similar quality.

If Butch Jones hadn't been so terrible on the field, we'd have won 11+ games just a few years ago. We are in the exception the last 15 years, not the long term norm of Tennessee football. If we actually hired a someone who was competent for a change we'd be fine.

If Butch Jones hadn't been so terrible on the field, we'd have won 11+ games just a few years ago. We are in the exception the last 15 years, not the long term norm of Tennessee football. If we actually hired a someone who was competent for a change we'd be fine.

I miss having your optimism. I hope that one day it comes back.

Reactions: tntar heel
My question is what does UT expect to do about the state of the program? What is the plan? What is it that the fans can look forward to? With the current staff and management there is nothing there.
No plan. Just drift along in mediocrity until the fans quit going to games. Only when they get severely hit in the pocketbook, will anything change.

IF we had a good QB, that would go a long ways...Would make the overall team better and have them playing with some confidence. We certainly don't have that now...

Reactions: cgrish
I don't fault Fulmer for taking a gamble on Pruitt. People seem to forget how embarrassing and disastrous the coaching search was. From being turned down by tons of coaches to being a constant joke to the national media, I was just happy UT hired someone.

now you are getting to the heart of the situation. Blackburn was not only much more qualified than Fulmer but he wanted the job. But he didn’t get it. Why? Simple. The BOT and the university do not give two ****s about the football program. Instead of hiring a proven AD with a good track record, they thought a former coach would be better suited.

And look how that has worked out. Until we get the Haslams and whomever hires the ADs out, there is little hope for TN ever really being relevant in CF.

This is all completely false.

I don't fault Fulmer for taking a gamble on Pruitt. People seem to forget how embarrassing and disastrous the coaching search was. From being turned down by tons of coaches to being a constant joke to the national media, I was just happy UT hired someone.

Truth. Fulmer had next-to-no options. Our problems are well above Fulmer. Look to the BOT. There is where our problems have come

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

The biggest problem with it all is that Fulmer is like Kiffin and Dooley. None of them were qualified to be at their positions at TN.

Reactions: onevol74
I don’t blame Fulmer for the hire of Pruitt. His options were limited and it wasn’t a terrible gamble given Pruitt’s pedigree. I do however fault Fulmer for the extension and the contract details. As much as pruitt is in over his head as a head coach, Fulmer is moreso in over his head as an AD.

I never thought Pruitt was the answer. Even during the 8 game win streak the team was not improving. Howeve, name one excellent HC, guaranteed to be worth 7 - $8M a year, that Tenn ( or any school could hire). Great HC do not leave great jobs. They just get bigger raises. Has Jimbo been worth $7.5M so far, is Harbough worth 8-$9M per year, is Chip Kelly worth millions, does Gruden look like he would be worth multi millions, is Gundy worth $7M per year, is the guy at Texas worth $7M. I could go on. All of the above guys were coaches the fans drooled for. Truthfully, schools have to go with unproven coaches. Proven coaches do not leave unless they have done something to tarnish the program. Some unproven coaches can handle running a big program, some grow into it if given time, and most move on. Tenn doesn’t wait and see, so they send them packing and try to catch lightning in a bottle. I don’t know the answer.

no one wanted this job, short memory. that wasnt fulmers fault. he played damage control.

Money isn’t and has never been the issue. We have made public offers to Gundy that would have drawn anyone to UT....Except it doesn’t and I can’t tell you why that is.

VN Store

Back