Fulmer blew it this time

JACK8254

When we were trying to hire a guy for Jones, I really didnt want leach or Schiano because of the baggage of each. So when Fulmer A HOF coach with a NC Ring said that we needed a SEC guy who coached in the SEC I had no reason to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. After all , Smart at Ga. was doing well , they were winning SEC East crowns . Pruitt , who Fulmer said could recruit welland had an eye for talent in the rough, was the man to save us. I can tolerate his bad

grammar and rambling

\
like a 80 year old cause, by Gosh, we are gonna win again, be in the topten, make Ga & Bama respect us again ( take a bite outta their Azz) etc. etc. None of what Fulmer said has been true. The first 2 qbs he signs are nice kids who will never play in the SEC. So, now in year 3 we are retrogressing each week. Whether it happens this year or next, we will fire the incompetent Pruitt and begin our sad ritual once again. Paying a bunch of guys not to coach, making fools of ourselves with a tragic-comic search and hire another marginal coach > We will say the top-shelf guys wont come here when we really mean is we wont pay them well enough to come here. UT and Knoxville are better than most jobs out there. Pay them and they will come and get us out of this hellish cycle we"ve been in for 15 years. PLEASE- you are killing the football program with your ineptness.

Agreed, Fulmer has lost touch the the game that evolved into SEC football, the premier college football conference in America, he got lazy in after getting upset in the 2001 championship, he could not compete year in and year out in an upgraded SEC 2002-2008, with two losing seasons in the conference, his obsolescence was confirmed when no other major programs enlisted his services and his coaching career ended in 2008. Why anyone thought Fulmer could do the AD job is beyond me and the only thing sadder than where we are now is Fulmer trying to hire a head coach after Pruitt departs for the NFL. The athletic department will bleed red ink for two more years, given the loss this year and next and the inability to restore the fan following at the end of the 2022 season.

Last edited:
The best indicator of future success is past success.If this don't work out after two more years quit going for the home hire and get a proven coach.

Reactions: 08Vol
Serious question. Whatever happened to all of the hype and popularity around David Blackburn as a potential AD? I realize he is no longer at UT Chattanooga and is now at Middle Tennessee. I just recall so much discussion about bringing him back to Knoxville as AD. Did something happen while he was at UTC?

Fulmer is clearly overmatched at AD. Hiring Pruitt was risky and underwhelming at best. When you look at Pruitt’s results in his first 2 seasons, giving him a raise and contract extension was simply idiotic.

Estimates are the Athletics Dept. operates at a $40M deficit this year.

Thanks to Fulmer, we are stuck with Pruitt for a while, but we can certainly afford to fire Fulmer. At the very least, don’t renew his contract when it expires, Dec. 31, 2021.

Serious question. Whatever happened to all of the hype and popularity around David Blackburn as a potential AD? I realize he is no longer at UT Chattanooga and is now at Middle Tennessee. I just recall so much discussion about bringing him back to Knoxville as AD. Did something happen while he was at UTC?

now you are getting to the heart of the situation. Blackburn was not only much more qualified than Fulmer but he wanted the job. But he didn’t get it. Why? Simple. The BOT and the university do not give two ****s about the football program. Instead of hiring a proven AD with a good track record, they thought a former coach would be better suited.

And look how that has worked out. Until we get the Haslams and whomever hires the ADs out, there is little hope for TN ever really being relevant in CF.

Burnt bridges at UTC with his openness pursuing the UT but had burnt the ones ahead of him with prominent UT boosters. Nowhere to go but the bottom.

Reactions: Cormock Mac
Three years ago while the search was underway I posted about how 18-19 of the top 25 teams the prior 3 seasons had former offensive coordinators/offensive minded people coaching them. It's only gotten to be more of an offensive game since then. So of course Fulmer nixes Leach, the co-architect of the offense everyone wants to emulate these days from college to the NFL, and hires a defensive coordinator who never had to do anything but ride 5 stars that other people recruited.

It shows up in our sucky record and terrible offense under Pruitt.

now you are getting to the heart of the situation. Blackburn was not only much more qualified than Fulmer but he wanted the job. But he didn’t get it. Why? Simple. The BOT and the university do not give two ****s about the football program. Instead of hiring a proven AD with a good track record, they thought a former coach would be better suited.

And look how that has worked out. Until we get the Haslams and whomever hires the ADs out, there is little hope for TN ever really being relevant in CF.
The Fulmer hire was a smack against the Haslams. Blackburn was my first preference but I’d quibble with how “proven” he was.

Three years ago while the search was underway I posted about how 18-19 of the top 25 teams the prior 3 seasons had former offensive coordinators/offensive minded people coaching them. It's only gotten to be more of an offensive game since then. So of course Fulmer nixes Leach, the co-architect of the offense everyone wants to emulate these days from college to the NFL, and hires a defensive coordinator who never had to do anything but ride 5 stars that other people recruited.

It shows up in our sucky record and terrible offense under Pruitt.
Mississippi State is 2-4 and barely beat Vanderbilt. Maybe somebody who’s heard of defense?

Mississippi State is 2-4 and barely beat Vanderbilt. Maybe somebody who’s heard of defense?

He's halfway into year one in a year where he got limited practice with a team built to run 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. His offense is all over football these days, there's no denying it.

The hilarious irony of your post is that Miss State is ranked higher defensively across the board than we are. They are 4th in the SEC in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed.

He's halfway into year one in a year where he got limited practice with a team built to run 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. His offense is all over football these days, there's no denying it.

The hilarious irony of your post is that Miss State is ranked higher defensively across the board than we are. They are 4th in the SEC in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed.
Rankings. Get back to me after they play UGA. He had the returning rushing leader in the SEC and couldn’t find a role for him. He’s a 1 trick pony go long mutha trucker coach. No short or long term success to be had in the SEC. If Fulmer failed it wasn’t because of Leach.

Fulmers hiring track record is very poor. Remember that he gave Holly an extension and then fired her and followed that up with hiring an unproven coach and nearly broke his arm patting himself on the back for it. We keep doing the same stupid things and expect different results.
Kept Barnes so he’s already bested Dickey in the basketball department.

Rankings. Get back to me after they play UGA. He had the returning rushing leader in the SEC and couldn’t find a role for him. He’s a 1 trick pony go long mutha trucker coach. No short or long term success to be had in the SEC. If Fulmer failed it wasn’t because of Leach.

They've played Alabama, A&M, and LSU. all of whom field offenses that score more points per game and produce more yards per game than Georgia. They gave up fewer points to Alabama than we did, fewer points to Kentucky than we did, and fewer points to Arkansas than we did.

That "one trick pony" has 140 career wins and is producing better defense than our defensive guru in year one vs year 3.

In 3-4 years Leach will be averaging 30-35ppg there and MSU will have success far above their historical average and it will probably be on par with what Mullen was able to produce there, if not better.

They've played Alabama, A&M, and LSU. all of whom field offenses that score more points per game and produce more yards per game than Georgia. They gave up fewer points to Alabama than we did, fewer points to Kentucky than we did, and fewer points to Arkansas than we did.

That "one trick pony" has 140 career wins and is producing better defense than our defensive guru in year one vs year 3.

In 3-4 years Leach will be averaging 30-35ppg there and MSU will have success far above their historical average and it will probably be on par with what Mullen was able to produce there, if not better.
We’ll revisit. Thinking we’ll see his Washington State arc since he can’t recruit for shizz.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Well the rules are tailored to the offensive side of the ball these days. You have to be able to score points in this era of College football. Your skill guys make or break you now.

Starting at QB. Get the wrong one and keep playing him it might get you fired. It is mind boggling they keep going back to the dry well. This is a tale as old as time. At least pump some energy into the offense. Almost nothing works consistently except for a long ball. At least we could have an excuse with a young guy but to look this bad with a 5th year senior, I don't understand.

VN Store

Back