Fulmer’s Legacy at Tennessee

exactly. He and Majors both were the most successful coaches we have had since Neyland and both had their faults and their successes but people act overly emotional about them without reason and then blame everyone else for the mediocrity we have had since they both were fired
Dickey

The University that I've given 6 figures to over the years is in a major financial crunch in the athletic department and a failed multimillionaire who wrecked the football program is getting to walk away from it while pretending to be a saint and getting paid for it in a circumstance where one would normally not be paid for it.

Now that I've explained that, why do you care that I care?
In the world of college football, what is normal? If he was fired he would be owed a buyout. Just like Curry.

At this point, just the way the chips fell? I am almost certain this "original moron" you speak of had the backing of more than himself, or Phil would not be exiting gracefully. Don't claim your harsh opinion as truth. It is asinine.
My opinion is based upon a lot of truth.

In the world of college football, what is normal? If he was fired he would be owed a buyout. Just like Curry.

But they didn't say he was fired. They said he retired. Normally when you retire, even in sports, you don't get paid your contract buyout. I'm sick of them wasting money. Especially in a year where they have a major shortfall anyway. I figured the one solace of allowing Phil to retire was that he wouldn't be siphoning any more money off the Athletics budget. Instead he's getting over a million dollars for failing spectacularly and then quitting.

He did hold it together in 98. That was great for certain. His run from 95 thru 98 was
also very good, but not stellar and that's it. He had a real nice run that gets over-stated.

He didn't recruit Peyton Manning. Watch the ESPN Biopic: Manning. David Cutcliffe inked him.
And, he backed into the '07 SEC CG after Florida and Georgia lost twice. Cutlciffe bailed him out
in '06 and they did not progress in '07. But, they won the bowl game in '07 to get to 10.

He had 2 conference titles. He couldn't beat Spurrier when it counted, and lost to him when it
didn't matter (05, 08), 5-9 all-time. Got jack hammered in '98 Orange Bowl by Osborne, started
then losing to Saban at LSU right off the bat, then onto Richt and then Meyer. That's about it for
him. Oh, this fiasco of course with Pruitt. He's no saint.

In a way, it's as dodgy as the Majors-Fulmer debacle. 50-50 at best. Like it or not, that's the facts.

45-5 is not "stellar" haha, ok

Brutus’ legacy is he left our program in shambles TWICE, this time much worse! People, fans included, need to quit giving him a pass and hold him accountable. He hired the damn Bammer then proved to be utterly incompetent at being an AD! Total disgrace!

Brutus’ legacy is he left our program in shambles TWICE, this time much worse! People, fans included, need to quit giving him a pass and hold him accountable. He hired the damn Bammer then proved to be utterly incompetent at being an AD! Total disgrace!
He’s almost out the door, let it go, nothing is accomplished now by bashing Fulmer. I am sure he realizes he took a job and failed. His legacy is tarnished forever and he realizes that.

I feel you. Today it’s about winning and money. Who can get instant gratification the fastest to the hungry wolves. With the amount of many that is able to be thrown at coaches today is disturbing but this is where we are now.

I can say this. Prepare to be real damn committed to the next HC here. No one will take this job without a massive $$,$$$,$$$ buyout and a contract for 7 years minimum. Probably will also get paid a minimum of $6,000,000 a season too...the cost of Fulmer’s poor judgement.

I have to give it to the man. He hired himself 2 coaches right out of a job back to back. Clawson over Mike DeBord who would have had us competing right away with our Pro-Style built roster. Then picking Pruitt over Steele.

So after us lining up to get whacked by the NCAA you still think we should discount character and integrity?

I agree that the next coach will have us over a barrel and can get great guarantees, but he might also require minimal buyouts if he elects to go. That was the bad mix with Kiffin..... no character and small buyout. But we won't be able to hold a gun on him and demand stuff in our favor in the contract. You better be able to trust them..

Had the best run of UT football in my lifetime. This AD stint won't change what people thought of him as a coach. Made a bad hire with Pruitt. Misjudged his worth. Bama makes average coaches look good with all the talent there. They also turn a blind eye to the extra stuff that goes on down there to get all those 5 star pine riders. Keeping them eligible is a full time job as well i bet.

Last edited:
Really don't think anybody that knows very much about the details considers the way Majors was removed to be destroying Tennessee football.
Phil Fulmer took advantage of a legendary coach who was ill and needed heart surgery. John Majors did come back to soon and lose to 3 teams after Fuller had beaten GA, FL. Then Fulmer stabs Currie in the back for the AD job after Currie beat him out fair and square. Now Fuller is leaving while UT is dead in the water again. EVERYTIME Fuller leaves with millions coming in compensation. UT has done a lot for Phil.

Reactions: vol05 and MAD
Phil Fulmer took advantage of a legendary coach who was ill and needed heart surgery. John Majors did come back to soon and lose to 3 teams after Fuller had beaten GA, FL. Then Fulmer stabs Currie in the back for the AD job after Currie beat him out fair and square. Now Fuller is leaving while UT is dead in the water again. EVERYTIME Fuller leaves with millions coming in compensation. UT has done a lot for Phil.

Took advantage of Majors... so he wasn't supposed to serve as interim HC as Majors asked while he had heart surgery?

Majors cost that team a NC by coming back too soon.

Majors ran his mouth in public and ticked off boosters along with Dickey. He did it too himself.

Took advantage of Majors... so he wasn't supposed to serve as interim HC as Majors asked while he had heart surgery?

Majors cost that team a NC by coming back too soon.

Majors ran his mouth in public and ticked off boosters along with Dickey. He did it too himself.
Phil being the Interim was a given, pulling strings with faculty & boosters who were wanting Majors gone was not his job. Yes, Phil took us to different heights, but Majors had spent 16 years of building a great foundation while leading Tenn to 3 SEC titles and left Phil a great team to build on. Phil is a great coach but never just applied for a position at UT. Each time he came in the back door, first with Majors illness and next with Currie on the west coast. Oh yea, cost us a Natty is stretching it, an SEC east , yes, (first one).

Reactions: MAD and vol05
I believe Fulmer is as much to blame for the program being burned to the ground as Pruitt. If Pruitt was orchestrating a massive and sloppy illegal recruiting campaign, the AD should have known about it. (Certainly other SEC coaches knew about it, Stoops being one of them.) If Pruitt wasn't aware of what was happening, then Fulmer should have helped mentor him about running a clean and successful program. If Fulmer himself was aware of what was going on, then he is very lucky the university didn't fire him for cause, too.

Reactions: Volnuck and MAD
Phil being the Interim was a given, pulling strings with faculty & boosters who were wanting Majors gone was not his job. Yes, Phil took us to different heights, but Majors had spent 16 years of building a great foundation while leading Tenn to 3 SEC titles and left Phil a great team to build on. Phil is a great coach but never just applied for a position at UT. Each time he came in the back door, first with Majors illness and next with Currie on the west coast. Oh yea, cost us a Natty is stretching it, an SEC east , yes, (first one).

Johnny lost to bad Arkansas and scar team. Phil had already beaten top 15 Georgia and no.4 Florida. All we had to do was beat Bama and the NC was ours. I like both coaches. I'm not on one side of this. I don't know ever detail but Johnny brought it on himself.

Johnny cost TN a couple Natty's himself. He was pooch kicking with HEATH SHULER.. his time had come. Dickey was not the type of guy you can manipulate and he kept boosters in line from all accounts. I trust that in the end Dickey made the best decision for the program and history has proven it was the correct call. If Phil made it clear he wanted it... well, I don't blame him. He had options too.

Reactions: volcop1

VN Store

Back