Fuente To Baylor?

I never liked Beamer he's pretty much an a-hole but his players liked him. He let them get away with just about anything.
Beamer deserves a lot of credit for building that program from nothing, but for about the last 15 or so years of his tenure he was overrated.

Reactions: hog88
Why do people think that Fuente is so good. There are a lot of rumblings here in Va about him not being that guy that would carry on what Frank Beamer built. They are very average since he took over and he ran off a lot of players. Also hear of more kids wanting out. Since the Baylor story broke there has been no mention of VT trying to keep him? I find that very interesting. Because if he was loved by the fan base you better believe that they'd be making it known!
He's not well liked in the community. The community in general is pretty small, when Beamer was at Tech he was very approachable and accessible. Fuente has that get away from me, you're beneath me attitude and that doesn't bode well in SWVA just as it wouldn't in East Tennessee. As much as I dislike VT you couldn't help but to respect Beamer and what he meant to SWVA. It would be nothing for him to attend local high school games during bye weeks, Salem Red Sox games in the summer and he just came across as your average every day guy.

The Beamer model was a good one.
1. Recruit instate kids you want
2. Ignore star ratings
3. Teach them your system
4. Get them in the weight room
5. Redshirt Jr. year, they are a grown a$$ man and ready to play football.

I remember when Va Tech and Baylor were both doormats...Not really relevant to this topic, just figured I'd show how much of an old fart I am.

Reactions: VolnJC
I remember when Va Tech and Baylor were both doormats...Not really relevant to this topic, just figured I'd show how much of an old fart I am.

I sold cokes in Lane Stadium a couple seasons, I never had to go past the first 10-15 rows of seats unless WVU or UVA was in town.

Reactions: kayakonthefly
Beamer deserves a lot of credit for building that program from nothing, but for about the last 15 or so years of his tenure he was overrated.

Last 15 years? That's a stretch!

In the 8 year span from 2004 - 11, he won 4 ACC championships, 6 division titles, had 10+ win seasons every year, went to 5 BCS bowls, and had 4 top 10 finishes. Not a lot of head coaches in the country had anything close to that track record, and most the ones that did coached at places a hell of a lot better than Virginia Tech.

Beamer's last 4 years were so-so, I'll give you that, but from 1995 - 2011, there's virtually no coach in the country that could match what he did, with the resources he had.

The fact that Fuente is struggling so much at VT is even more of a testament to what Beamer achieved.

Last edited:
I sold cokes in Lane Stadium a couple seasons, I never had to go past the first 10-15 rows of seats unless WVU or UVA was in town.
I remember when Winn-Dixie would give you 2 free tickets for every $100.00 in groceries you bought. There would be tickets all over the parking lot

Reactions: hog88
I remember when Winn-Dixie would give you 2 free tickets for every $100.00 in groceries you bought. There would be tickets all over the parking lot

If you just hung around one of the gates someone always had an extra ticket they'd give away.

Fuente has made it known and publicly stated that there is NO talent in the 804 and has even snubbed the 757!!!! Go look at there recruits from the 2020 class and see how many kids from VA are there. While your at it go check out UVA as well. I can count on 1 hand how many kids they both have recruited from Virginia. Pretty sad!!

Fuente has made it known and publicly stated that there is NO talent in the 804 and has even snubbed the 757!!!! Go look at there recruits from the 2020 class and see how many kids from VA are there. While your at it go check out UVA as well. I can count on 1 hand how many kids they both have recruited from Virginia. Pretty sad!!
Penn State has been snagging a lot of the good Virginia kids too.

We've obviously taken a couple recently in D. Taylor and JHunter.

Reactions: P810sDaMan18
Last 15 years? That's a stretch!

In the 8 year span from 2004 - 11, he won 4 ACC championships, 6 division titles, had 10+ win seasons every year, went to 5 BCS bowls, and had 4 top 10 finishes. Not a lot of head coaches in the country had anything close to that track record, and most the ones that did coached at places a hell of a lot better than Virginia Tech.

Beamer's last 4 years were so-so, I'll give you that, but from 1995 - 2011, there's virtually no coach in the country that could match what he did, with the resources he had.

The fact that Fuente is struggling so much at VT is even more of a testament to what Beamer achieved.
In those ACC championship years, he feasted on a weak ACC (sound familiar, except he wasn't going on to win national titles like Dabo).

In those ACC championship years, he feasted on a weak ACC (sound familiar, except he wasn't going on to win national titles like Dabo).

So what?

He was still better than 11 other ACC coaches. And many of those coaches had better programs / better recruiting access / more resources than him. Those programs included Miami, Florida State, and Clemson. He finished 13-12 against Miami in his career; that alone is a testament to how good he was.

Virginia Tech / VPI was a historically mediocre program before Beamer came along. If it weren't for Beamer, VT would be in the AAC right now, considered on the same level as Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, and Marshall. He literally changed the entire trajectory of that program.

If anything, Beamer is one of the most underrated coaches of all-time. Go back to 1987 when VT hired him, no one thought VT would go to a national title game, or routinely finish in the top 10 in the country. And he largely did it with recruiting classes ranked around 30'ish.

Reactions: knox73
If anything, Beamer is one of the most underrated coaches of all-time. Go back to 1987 when VT hired him, no one thought VT would go to a national title game, or routinely finish in the top 10 in the country.
Which is why I said that the act of him building VT from nothing is really impressive. Once he made that title game in 1999, a lot of people thought in the years after that he always had teams capable enough of getting back to it again or even winning a title. Those teams weren't quite at that level. Like that 2007 team...they went 11-3 and won the ACC. They were also thrashed by the eventual title-winning team by 41 points in the regular season and lost the bowl game to an upstart Kansas team. Those teams were good, but not elite like they were advertised as.

He deserves mountains of credit for getting them "there." Once he got them "there," they pretty frequently weren't as good as people said they were.

Last edited:
0037367-weoy-640x360.jpg

Press Release: Dave Aranda Named Baylor Football Head Coach

WACO, Texas – A 2020 National Champion and 24-year coaching veteran, Dave Aranda has been named the 28th head coach in Baylor Football history, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack B. Rhoades, IV, announced Thursday.

“Today is an exciting day for Baylor," Rhoades said. “Dave is a special person who loves football and his student-athletes, is highly intellectual, and is a great mission fit for both Baylor Athletics and the University at large.

View attachment 254736

Press Release: Dave Aranda Named Baylor Football Head Coach

WACO, Texas – A 2020 National Champion and 24-year coaching veteran, Dave Aranda has been named the 28th head coach in Baylor Football history, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack B. Rhoades, IV, announced Thursday.

“Today is an exciting day for Baylor," Rhoades said. “Dave is a special person who loves football and his student-athletes, is highly intellectual, and is a great mission fit for both Baylor Athletics and the University at large.
Well, let's see if he can salvage this recruiting class. I still foresee you getting beat on Oct 3.

Well, let's see if he can salvage this recruiting class. I still foresee you getting beat on Oct 3.
Aranda is bringing Bill Busch with him from LSU as DC. They have recruited the heck out of Southeast Texas. Hopefully they can get some of that talent to Baylor along with Louisiana recruits.

It will be interesting to see how many LSU defensive players, if any, follow them to Waco.

VN Store

Back