Fromm possibly entering draft

I actually think Fromm has what it takes from a mental and game management standpoint. He was just hamstrung by bad play calling this year.
I also heard he did not have confidence in the receivers. They did drop several balls in the first drive against LSU which cost them points likely a touchdown.

2020 Football Transfer Portal

Neither are in the transfer portal, so you're either misinformed or UGA is violating rules.
Love just declared for the draft.
Report: Utah State quarterback Jordan Love contemplating a grad transfer
QB Love leaving Utah State to enter NFL draft
Both followed Coley on Twitter, so that was where the names came from I guess. Not hard to get around the no direct contact though. Have heard most will have family/friends contact to gauge interest. Main point is that Fromm might be gone and there’s not much behind him.

Last edited:
Plus a lack of WR's
Lack of WR's this year due to dismissals and injury. Didn't really put up eye popping numbers with Ridley, Hardman, Holloman, and Nauta either though. He's had accuracy problems for a while. His stock may have taken a dip, but it could seriously nose dive if he comes back and shows no improvement. Also think the friction between Fromm and Coley can't be ignored.

Hearing Fromm is leaning towards entering the draft. Apparently there were issues between he and Coley due to Coley being vocal about favoring Fields and the relationship never got any better. Only real backup behind Fromm is Stetson Bennett. Dwan Mathis likely won't be able to play football again due to the brain cyst he had removed in the preseason. UGA in contact with Jordan Love and D'eriq King.
Hilarious that they didn't think Fields "fit their system," but now they want D'eriq King. King is way more of a scrambling QB than Fields is.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Hilarious that they didn't think Fields "fit their system," but now they want D'eriq King. King is way more of a scrambling QB than Fields is.
I think they wanted wanted Fields to wait his turn then change the offense for him. Apparently Chaney and Smart wanted to ride it out with Fromm since they were so close the year before and Coley was vocal about preferring Fields, which isn't surprising given the fact he recruited him. One thing that's obvious to everyone but Smart is that bully ball doesn't work any more. In today's college football you need to open up the offense. It took 2 first round NFL backs returning for their senior season to make Smart/Chaney's offense playoff worthy. Realistically, how often does that happen? If Kirby doesn't update the offense, he'll be similar to Les Miles at LSU.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Fromm had plenty of JG moments down the stretch. Especially the USCe game.
Was nowhere near as good this year as last year, both on a statistical basis and "eye test." Fewer yards per attempt, worse completion percentage, worse TD/INT ratio. I know he's got the bowl game left, but he isn't going to close those gaps to last year in one game.

Reactions: Atlanta917
Was nowhere near as good this year as last year, both on a statistical basis and "eye test." Fewer yards per attempt, worse completion percentage, worse TD/INT ratio. I know he's got the bowl game left, but he isn't going to close those gaps to last year in one game.
Scary thing for UGA is they have nothing behind him. Stetson Bennett is a backup at best and Dwan Mathis most likely won't play football again due to health concerns. Since UGA appears to be actively looking for a grad transfer it seems like Fromm is leaving. Maybe Smart and Coley can get King to listen, but they'd be lying to themselves if they think UGA's a more appealing offer than OU/LSU. Though if King did go to OU I'd expect Rattler to transfer and he'd have immediate eligibility since he just redshirted. UGA boards have said they're pushing for CJ Stroud and Robby Ashford now as well.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I think they wanted wanted Fields to wait his turn then change the offense for him. Apparently Chaney and Smart wanted to ride it out with Fromm since they were so close the year before and Coley was vocal about preferring Fields, which isn't surprising given the fact he recruited him. One thing that's obvious to everyone but Smart is that bully ball doesn't work any more. In today's college football you need to open up the offense. It took 2 first round NFL backs returning for their senior season to make Smart/Chaney's offense playoff worthy. Realistically, how often does that happen? If Kirby doesn't update the offense, he'll be similar to Les Miles at LSU.
Until further notice, Kirby is in the "coordinator, not a coach" category.

I made this comment in another thread, but Kirby made a postgame comment after the South Carolina game that I thought was really telling. The very first thing he said to the media was that the difference in the game was that their defense didn't force enough turnovers to bring the turnover margin back to more of a balance. The problem, in his mind, wasn't that the offense turned it over too much, but that his defense didn't get enough in response. That's perfectly fine to think that as a DC, in fact, that's exactly how you should think as a DC. But as a HC, I thought it was a really shortsighted and frankly stupid way to look at that particular game.

Scary thing for UGA is they have nothing behind him. Stetson Bennett is a backup at best and Dwan Mathis most likely won't play football again due to health concerns. Since UGA appears to be actively looking for a grad transfer it seems like Fromm is leaving. Maybe Smart and Coley can get King to listen, but they'd be lying to themselves if they think UGA's a more appealing offer than OU/LSU. Though if King did go to OU I'd expect Rattler to transfer and he'd have immediate eligibility since he just redshirted. UGA boards have said they're pushing for CJ Stroud and Robby Ashford now as well.
Dawgs think they can flip one of them? According to 247 Stroud is 100% to Ohio St and Ashford is leaning very heavily towards Ole Miss, and if not Ole Miss then Auburn. Georgia doesn't even appear on either of their radars supposedly.

Until further notice, Kirby is in the "coordinator, not a coach" category.

I made this comment in another thread, but Kirby made a postgame comment after the South Carolina game that I thought was really telling. The very first thing he said to the media was that the difference in the game was that their defense didn't force enough turnovers to bring the turnover margin back to more of a balance. The problem, in his mind, wasn't that the offense turned it over too much, but that his defense didn't get enough in response. That's perfectly fine to think that as a DC, in fact, that's exactly how you should think as a DC. But as a HC, I thought it was a really shortsighted and frankly stupid way to look at that particular game.
Jury is definitely still out on Smart. Only a fourth year HC, so lot of football left to be played. I have no clue if this is accurate or not, but my opinion is that he's stubborn and wants to follow the Bama model. Kirby could be successful if he took the CEO approach and just recruited and helped with defense. He needs to be hands off with the offense and accept that football isn't the same as it was during his tenure at Bama. Maybe he is hands off with the offense and I'm wrong. I don't think I'm wrong about bully ball not working more. If Saban moved away from it, that's all I need to know. Ed Orgeron has shown how successful a CEO coach can be that recruits well and finds the right coordinators. Certainly possible for Smart to do the same if he can swallow his pride and admit changes need to be made.

Dawgs think they can flip one of them? According to 247 Stroud is 100% to Ohio St and Ashford is leaning very heavily towards Ole Miss, and if not Ole Miss then Auburn. Georgia doesn't even appear on either of their radars supposedly.
Ashford decomitted from Ole Miss. Have heard UGA and UT have reached out, but don't know the extent and if the interest is mutual. Stroud is a long shot, possibly just throwing out a hail mary on the possibility Fromm leaves. Neither is likely, but never know with recruiting. Mathis never visited UGA and committed over the phone to Smart, so I guess anything is possible. UGA will regret never spinning the tires on Bailey.

Jury is definitely still out on Smart. Only a fourth year HC, so lot of football left to be played. I have no clue if this is accurate or not, but my opinion is that he's stubborn and wants to follow the Bama model. Kirby could be successful if he took the CEO approach and just recruited and helped with defense. He needs to be hands off with the offense and accept that football isn't the same as it was during his tenure at Bama. Maybe he is hands off with the offense and I'm wrong. I don't think I'm wrong about bully ball not working more. If Saban moved away from it, that's all I need to know. Ed Orgeron has shown how successful a CEO coach can be that recruits well and finds the right coordinators. Certainly possible for Smart to do the same if he can swallow his pride and admit changes need to be made.
What's interesting is that the "Bama model" is actually having a philosophy that evolves with the game, not being set in your ways. If it was up to Saban, I think he'd absolutely prefer to win every game by running a 4-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense and leaning on his defense. And he did do that earlier in his career. But as the game changed, Saban changed too.

He recruited a mobile QB (Hurts) and brought in Kiffin to run a more dynamic, explosive offense with some spread/read option principles. Then he got Tua and started slinging it all over the field, putting up gargantuan passing numbers. Starting about 6-7 years ago he started recruiting smaller but faster LBs to defend better against these fast-paced spread offenses almost everybody runs now. If Kirby think he's being like Saban by continuing to run the offense the way he runs it, then I think he actually has a false notion of who Saban actually is.

It absolutely is possible that he evolves and delegates, especially on offense. If Coach O can do it, then surely Kirby can.

Reactions: Atlanta917
What's interesting is that the "Bama model" is actually having a philosophy that evolves with the game, not being set in your ways. If it was up to Saban, I think he'd absolutely prefer to win every game by running a 4-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense and leaning on his defense. And he did do that earlier in his career. But as the game changed, Saban changed too.

He recruited a mobile QB (Hurts) and brought in Kiffin to run a more dynamic, explosive offense with some spread/read option principles. Then he got Tua and started slinging it all over the field, putting up gargantuan passing numbers. Starting about 6-7 years ago he started recruiting smaller but faster LBs to defend better against these fast-paced spread offenses almost everybody runs now. If Kirby think he's being like Saban by continuing to run the offense the way he runs it, then I think he actually has a false notion of who Saban actually is.

It absolutely is possible that he evolves and delegates, especially on offense. If Coach O can do it, then surely Kirby can.
Saban’s willingness to pull Jalen for tua and Smarts unwillingness to do the same with fields definitely shows a difference in philosophy. Either that or just lack of experience.

Agreed, will Tua ever play again? Only time will tell. One things for, he lost a lot on money with that injury.

I'll be interested to see if his brother decides to stay at Bama. If he does, it would lead me to assume Tua insisted on playing. If he transfers, it would raise doubts about Sabans comments and explanations.

VN Store

Back