Friendly MSU bulldog looking to attend UT game with wife

FriendlyMSUBulldog

Hey Volnation, hope all is well.

My wife and I are planning to attend the MSU/UT game in the Fall. This will be our first trip to Neyland/Knoxville and we are looking for recommendations on where to stay for the weekend/what to do Friday night and Saturday night after the game/ things to see, so i thought what better place to find out than from actual UT alums/fans. We're both in our late 20's so place to stay doesn't have to be really nice, but also would prefer something better than a fraternity pledge basement haha.

Would also love to come by someone's tent and check out a true UT tailgate.

Heard nothing but great things about Knoxville, and looking forward to hearing yalls recommendations.

I don’t know about a place to stay but there are plenty of good places to eat. Market Square is the exciting place to be Friday and Saturday nights, has good restaurants and shops and sometimes live music, and you can walk there from the stadium. Gus’s Good Times Deli and Calhoun’s are the two places you’ll hear suggested a lot to eat but that’s for good reason, they’re excellent. Hope you enjoy Knoxville!

The Hyatt downtown is a great place to stay, walking distance to all of the good local bars and eateries. The walk to the stadium is a bit long (2.5 miles give or take a bit), but you also have a trolly that leaves from market square (a short walk from the hotel and home of some great brunch places).

It will likely be on the expensive end of hotels, but for a weekend stay where you’ll want places to eat and drink it really can’t be beat.

So once you reach your 30s, you’re gonna need a really nice place to stay? Lol

I recommend you visit the UT Bookstore just outside the stadium before you leave.

My wife and I are planning to attend the MSU/UT game in the Fall. This will be our first trip to Neyland/Knoxville and we are looking for recommendations on where to stay for the weekend/what to do Friday night and Saturday night after the game/ things to see, so i thought what better place to find out than from actual UT alums/fans. We're both in our late 20's so place to stay doesn't have to be really nice, but also would prefer something better than a fraternity pledge basement haha.

Heard nothing but great things about Knoxville, and looking forward to hearing yalls recommendations.

Lots to do out in west Knoxville. Rooster's Sports Bar and Grill is a local hang-out with live music. 3 star hotels at $100 per night compared to $250 closer to downtown. Market Square (garage parking for $20 and a .90 mile walk to the stadium through World's Fair Park) and Gay Street Saturday morning would be fun. Most everybody will welcome you to their tailgate.

Hey Buddy!

How are your wife and my kids doing?

Recommendation: leave the cowbells at home. My wife is a bulldog/MSU grad and plans on having two in each hand haha.

Seriously though, definitely go to Market Square Friday night. Wonder around campus on game day, bring a 12 pack to a tailgate, no one will turn you down. I've done this and have it done to me. Those usually turn out to be the best time.

Reactions: johnsonbrewer
As mentioned above, definitely check out Market Square friday night. Stock and Barrel is the place to eat there, amazing burgers. For Saturday, Fieldhouse Social is a great place to get lunch if the game is a late kick or dinner if it's an afternoon kick-off. Make sure you walk along the Tennessee River next to the stadium to see the great tailgates (Vol Navy) and make your way up to the Vol Walk about 2 1/2 hrs before kick-off. Have fun man. Knoxville in the fall is must see.

Also, maybe my favorite pregame tradition about an hour and half before kick-off, is when the band marches into the stadium and stops to play to "The Hill." There will be 5-6,000 thousand fans along the street(s) watching. "The Hill" is the oldest part of the university, of course built on a hill.

Reactions: FriendlyMSUBulldog
You won't find a "trashy" hotel that is within walking distance, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Go see the Vol Navy. Find a tail gate. Get wasted. I wouldn't worry about any of the on campus festivities so much. The Vol Walk is great and everything but I'm guessing you don't care so much to see our team enter the stadium.

Hey Buddy!

How are your wife and my kids doing?

I used to say that to my Nigerian grill cook back in the late 80's. He had 8 and all lived at home. Great guy with a good sense of humor. Goody is what he went by. One morning I asked him that and without delay he replied "when you gone start feeding dem mudder *******."

Recommendation: leave the cowbells at home. My wife is a bulldog/MSU grad and plans on having two in each hand haha.

Seriously though, definitely go to Market Square Friday night. Wonder around campus on game day, bring a 12 pack to a tailgate, no one will turn you down. I've done this and have it done to me. Those usually turn out to be the best time.
Or wander if you aren't a Philosophy major.

So once you reach your 30s, you’re gonna need a really nice place to stay? Lol

I recommend you visit the UT Bookstore just outside the stadium before you leave.
LOL, yeah I remember being on the UT Crew team back in the day, and when we went to regattas, we would sleep 8 to a room in the sleaziest places. Never thought twice about it then, but I would sleep under the stars now, before I set foot in one of those places today. Things change.

I’ve got you covered on the tailgate (I always try to host one visiting fan every year). I’m right between Neyland and the river, with a fantastic view. Be glad to have you. Email me at neylandpj@gmail

You're not going to find a hotel room downtown for under $300/night over MSU weekend and, personally, I think that's asking a little much for a hotel in Knoxville unless you pony up even more for the Oliver/Hyatt/Tennessean; the Hilton is a fine hotel and I'm a big fan of that Hampton Inn, but asking those prices is rather egregious. Here's a link to downtown hotels and their cost/night for that weekend.

If at all possible, however, I would recommend staying downtown. Most parts of Knoxville are great, but there's something to be said about being able to experience downtown, the Old City and campus within walking distance while being a $10 Uber away from the "cool" parts of North Knoxville (Happy Holler/Old North/4th and Gill). Here's a downtown Airbnb that totals out to $550 for two nights, which is excellent all things considered as you won't find any hotel nearly as nice for $275/night all-in (hard to beat a rooftop on Market Square, truly). Keep in mind that staying downtown will defray your transportation costs significantly, as it'll be cheaper to pay $7/night to park and walk nearly everywhere than Ubering from 20 miles away or driving yourself and hoping to find parking/figuring out how to make it home post-game.

If you decide that staying in West Knoxville is better, here's a list of hotel availability that weekend; I'd definitely go with Home2 and think it's a truly great option, though I still feel people your age would be better suited downtown than in Anywhere, USA for your first visit to Knoxville.

If I were you, I'd plan on checking in to wherever on Friday night and look to get dinner around downtown. Lonesome Dove is great if you're into pricey steak and wild game, while Cafe 4 is quality American cuisine in a setting that would surely appeal to your wife; if you want a more laid back Knoxville experience, Downtown Grill & Brewery has great food right next to Market Square and Barley's in the Old City is a classic for pizza and beer. There are plenty of bars in Market Square (Pres Pub for live music w/ a rooftop and smoking on the first floor, Scruffy City for a less-crowded brother to PresPub, Peter Kern's Library for cocktails at a "speakeasy"), general downtown (Sapphire for an "upscale" cocktail lounge with $3 PBR, Suttree's for some excellent draft beer selections, Clancy's for a (hopefully) quiet Irish pub) and the Old City (Southbound/Hanna's on the off chance you want a terrible club, Urban Bar for a wonderful smokey dive, Central Depot for just a great bar all-around) from which to choose, or you could go bowling at Maple Hall/see a show at the Tennessee Theatre or the Bijou. On Saturday, I think that you'd enjoy checking out one of the few remaining bars on The Strip right next to campus (Half Barrel, less-clubby Hanna's, Cool Beans, maybe even the Fort Sanders Yacht Club) before tailgating unless you can luck into getting a seat at Calhoun's on the River before heading over to campus. Win or lose, you'll definitely find something to do Saturday night either downtown or in one of the adjacent neighborhoods (there are plenty of breweries/small bars in the 4th and Gill/Happy Holler areas).

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Welcome State Fan! We have more in common than you think. We both hate Dan Mullen! Get to Calhoun’s on the river (Peyton Manning’s favorite restaurant) 5 hours before game time if you can. It’s an awesome experience for both food and beverage. It will have you in prime position to tailgate with both Vols and State Fans. You will get the full effects of The Vol Navy and be within walking distance of the stadium. There is a parking garage across the highway from it. There is a walkway across the highway. Things just tend to flow from there. After the game go to the strip. When you have too much to drink call a golf cart to take you back to your parking garage.

I don't know Knoxville all that well, so there's not much guidance I can give.
I only hope that, after the game, you'll feel the need to go to wherever fans of losing teams go to commiserate and drown their sorrows.

Reactions: Boogievol
Living an hours drive from Knoxville, I can't help you out, but if you Google things to do in Knoxville, you probably will get some good information. Welcome to Knoxville and don't get too upset when you have to go home slightly less happy than expected.

UT is unique!!!!!

This fan base welcomes other fan bases like no other. When my son started playing college football I let my season tickets and parking pass lapse but while tailgating alongside the Tennessee River in the Agriculture parking lot we always reached out to opposing fans to throw corn hole with us, eat, and just spend time before the game. Just isn't us but the majority of UT fans. We have a super fan base for the most part but their are bad apples in every fan base. Just stay away from fraternity row and you'll have a great time coming to Neyland. Best of luck but I hope you lose and lose bad hehe! Take care sir!

I like staying near Turkey Creek or off Merchants Drive, much cheaper and a cheap uber to anywhere. Friday night definitely market Square and Old City, Im in my 30s and love both especially old city. Sweet Ps downtown dive is fantastic local BBQ and beer, my favorite in town. I'll be having a tailgate in g10 garage right next to stadium feel free to come have a drink. If you want any other suggestions, advice, or even help feel free to email me.

Govolsaight@gmail.com

VN Store

Back