Friendly MSU bulldog looking to attend UT game with wife

It may be a little farther than you were hoping, but Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is less than an hour away and there's always reasonable hotel deals there. You can take Chapman Highway and it's a straight shot.

You can't go wrong with any place at Market Square (food, shopping, whatever). I've been going to games since I was 6 (early 30s here) and my wife and I just discovered it a couple of years ago. Can't believe what we were missing.

I usually park in a lot at the corner of 17th Street and Western Avenue. 20 bucks and a bit of a walk, but it's easy access back to I-40. We've also parked behind World's Fair Park. Again, a long walk, but easy to find your way back and get out.

And you shouldn't have tons of problems with fans. Like somebody said before, avoid frat row and you're good. You'll get invited to join at least one tailgate. The hospitality here is unreal. Nothing like it anywhere else in the SEC.

Hope you enjoy the trip, other than the final score.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It may be a little farther than you were hoping, but Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is less than an hour away and there's always reasonable hotel deals there. You can take Chapman Highway and it's a straight shot.

You can't go wrong with any place at Market Square (food, shopping, whatever). I've been going to games since I was 6 (early 30s here) and my wife and I just discovered it a couple of years ago. Can't believe what we were missing.

I usually park in a lot at the corner of 17th Street and Western Avenue. 20 bucks and a bit of a walk, but it's easy access back to I-40. We've also parked behind World's Fair Park. Again, a long walk, but easy to find your way back and get out.

And you shouldn't have tons of problems with fans. Like somebody said before, avoid frat row and you're good. You'll get invited to join at least one tailgate. The hospitality here is unreal. Nothing like it anywhere else in the SEC.

Hope you enjoy the trip, other than the final score.

Hey, if you like visiting Market Square on game days, you should consider parking at Locust Street Garage. $20 and you're a block from Market Square. Usually some great tailgating on the top level as well with a great view of the University.

You got lots of good advice already. So I'll try to compliment what you have. Brazilian steak house for Friday lunch. It will be 2 hours of pick you favorite meat.
Pigeon Forge has lots to do ... the Fly away is pretty cool, Alpine Coaster is really cool, Go cart riding and wrecking, etc .. so if you are looking to shop and do stuff .... There are several air bnb in Maryville that are reasonable if we are only talking housing.
Calhoun on the river (yeah I know it was mentioned) ... would be my recommended before game place to eat ... but you have to get there early!!!! Otherwise you are gonna miss out.
Finally, welcome to favorite places. Hope the 2 of you make some memories and make a few new friends.
My apologies for the few jerks with the smart mouths.

I will be tailgating at the UT federal credit union, by the East TN children’s hospital. Anyone is welcome to join.

Check back in a day or two before the game and let us know where you are going to hang out and park. We always tailgate and you will be welcome.

If you can get up to East Tennessee a little early, go on up to Pigeon Forge or maybe even Gatlinburg. Prices for hotels will be about the same as close to Knoxville.

You will see recommendations to check in the Merchants Dr. and Strawberry Plains area. Merchants is a 10 minute drive in to campus. Most of the downtown hotels will be double to triple the rate with a 2 night minimum.

Reactions: tbh
If you don't get to East TN very often, may want to make a weekend out of it and stay in Gatlinburg for the weekend including that Friday night. Drive over for the game, it's not that far. See the Smokies while over there, always a great place for a weekend respite.

If you end up staying around Merchants Drive, hop over to Litton's in Fountain City (short drive) for some good diner food (the burgers are where it's at) and an excellent assortment of pie and cake slices for dessert. If y'all like good beer, Schulz Brau just off Central is a great craft brewery with a really nice indoor and outdoor space too.

I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. It is just off campus so close to restaurants and bars on Cumberland also have a shuttle to Market Square. May be somewhat pricier than other options but worth it in my opinion. If you consider it better book it now if not already too late. Have fun and enjoy.

I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. It is just off campus so close to restaurants and bars on Cumberland also have a shuttle to Market Square. May be somewhat pricier than other options but worth it in my opinion. If you consider it better book it now if not already too late. Have fun and enjoy.

Lots of good advice. I will try not to duplicate.

1. If you plan on eating downtown on Friday (or pretty much anywhere else for that matter), I recommend getting a reservation somewhere on OpenTable.

2. If you have time, Dollywood is a very nice theme park.

3. If you decide to stay in west Knoxville, shuttle buses run to the game from Farragut High School. They drop you off and pick you up a block from the stadium, and traffic cops prioritize keeping the buses moving. It sucks having to fight traffic and find a parking spot a mile and half from the stadium, especially if you don't know the area and all the one way streets (they even block off certain routes on gameday). This takes care of that. Then again, so does staying somewhere downtown. Football Shuttle | Knoxville Area Transit, TN

You absolutely cannot visit Knoxville without eating at Gus's Goodtime Deli. Right across from UT Bookstore down at the bottom of the side street. Do anything else you want. But, have one meal there. Hit it for lunch, then some of the other suggestions for dinners. The Reuben is a classic. Anything and everybody UT will be autographed and hanging on the walls. Ye Olde Steakhouse is a bit out Chapman Highway, but is a great local joint for God knows how long. 50 plus years.

Hey Volnation, hope all is well.

My wife and I are planning to attend the MSU/UT game in the Fall. This will be our first trip to Neyland/Knoxville and we are looking for recommendations on where to stay for the weekend/what to do Friday night and Saturday night after the game/ things to see, so i thought what better place to find out than from actual UT alums/fans. We're both in our late 20's so place to stay doesn't have to be really nice, but also would prefer something better than a fraternity pledge basement haha.

Would also love to come by someone's tent and check out a true UT tailgate.

Heard nothing but great things about Knoxville, and looking forward to hearing yalls recommendations.
Copper cellar has the best burger in town

Reactions: quadlee21

VN Store

Back