Frank Martin message to VOL fans

Frank Martin needs to run a home for wayward boys after SC cans him. Seems like the type guy who could help young folks who have gotten off track to find their way back

Martin is not referring to any outside noise, especially from message boards and social media. Coaches, no matter how successful, pay very little attention to what a bunch of “experts” think. This endorsement from Frank was totally because of the love and respect he has for Barnes.

Or it might be that they’re very close friends and have been for years.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I’ve always liked Frank Martin. He and Rick Barnes have a great relationship and they genuinely respect each other.

I'm not advocating for him, but if he is available and expressed interest, and we had an open spot, there's no way you turn away someone with a F4 on his resumé, his head coaching experience, and connections.

Sorry I would. I say again "we don't need another defensive minded coach". If we need anything it's a recruiter who can and will bring in SHOOTERS. Now if Barnes can teach a bunch of shooters defense by himself, then Martin might be a good idea. But first you need shooters this day and time.

USC should absolutely consider firing him.

1 tournament appearance in 9 years at a P6 school is absolutely unacceptable.

That SC team is just awful. He seems a nice guy and perhaps a decent coach but you have to have players - he needed a great recruiter or two on staff - I don't think he will be there long term either.

Sorry I would. I say again "we don't need another defensive minded coach". If we need anything it's a recruiter who can and will bring in SHOOTERS. Now if Barnes can teach a bunch of shooters defense by himself, then Martin might be a good idea. But first you need shooters this day and time.
I know the options aren't exclusively Frank Martin or Justin Gainey and Rod Clark, but I am, so far, wholly unimpressed with those two new additions. I'd replace either one with Martin in a vacuum.

Now, outside of a vacuum, considering all options who may be available, Martin might not be the absolute best choice for what our team needs, but we could do a lot worse. He brings name recognition and experience to a staff who is currently short on it, I'm afraid. I love Schwartz and believe he is criminally underrated as an assistant. The other two, I'm not so sure on.

K State made the tournament 4 out of 5 years under Martin, and advanced in the tournament all 4 trips, including an Elite Eight. How on earth can you argue losing him was good for them?

South Carolina has made only 9 tournaments in its entire history. It’s a total garbage program. They should build him a statue for getting them a Final Four.
It’s not a good program but they are majorly off from where they should be even without tourney appearances. I could definitely see next year being his last if he doesn’t get it turned around.

If Barnes was to retire in a year or two, Martin would be a nice addition as a #2 to Schwartz. But I don’t think think Martin would stick around for several years as an assistant. Maybe one year max if a really good job doesn’t open up this year. He’ll get picked up by somebody after USC shows him the door. There are 325+ head coaching positions.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Barnes and Martin and tight as Dick's hat band. Barnes has repeatedly paid homage to Martin and the style of defense he coaches at SC. Everyone knows that. Not sure he would be hired on here if SC decided to cut bait after this year.

People forget that they coached in the B12 at the same time. They mention K State but not the connection of a coaching relationship that dates back at least that far.

VN Store

Back