Frank Martin message to VOL fans

Martin is not referring to any outside noise, especially from message boards and social media. Coaches, no matter how successful, pay very little attention to what a bunch of “experts” think. This endorsement from Frank was totally because of the love and respect he has for Barnes.

Coaches absolutely do care what the fans think. Look no further than Saban's press conference this year.

I've always liked Martin. I think he could've done better had he been at a different school. That one year SC made their deep run in the tourney was obviously unsustainable at USC. He's a class act coach and a damn good one, too.

I find Martin to be too abrasive for my taste. That's what got him fired at Kansas State.
But he is somewhat effective.

I too feel he is a good coach and good for the overall SEC position in the big picture. But GOOD LORD!! Do we need another guy to help Barnes coach and preach defense!! If SC just can't see him as their guy going forward, then I hope the best for him, but not on our staff.
I'm not advocating for him, but if he is available and expressed interest, and we had an open spot, there's no way you turn away someone with a F4 on his resumé, his head coaching experience, and connections.

Martin is not referring to any outside noise, especially from message boards and social media. Coaches, no matter how successful, pay very little attention to what a bunch of “experts” think. This endorsement from Frank was totally because of the love and respect he has for Barnes.
Correct. The idea that Frank Martin pays attention to fan reactions to Barnes performance is hilarious!

Reactions: BreatheUT
Coaches absolutely do care what the fans think. Look no further than Saban's press conference this year.
That was not my point. My point was that coaches spend little time worrying what fans think about coaching tactics.

Barnes and Martin are tight as Dick's hat band. Barnes has repeatedly paid homage to Martin and the style of defense he coaches at SC. Everyone knows that. Not sure he would be hired on here if SC decided to cut bait after this year.

Last edited:
K State didn’t fire him. He left because he hated working for John Currie.

Worked out for Kansas State. They’ve done much better than South Carolina the last decade (although the last couple years is gonna get Weber fired).

I'm not advocating for him, but if he is available and expressed interest, and we had an open spot, there's no way you turn away someone with a F4 on his resumé, his head coaching experience, and connections.

No thanks. If we are going to hire assistants like Martin, we need to hire an offensive minded guy. Defense isn’t the problem here.

Worked out for Kansas State. They’ve done much better than South Carolina the last decade (although the last couple years is gonna get Weber fired).
K State made the tournament 4 out of 5 years under Martin, and advanced in the tournament all 4 trips, including an Elite Eight. How on earth can you argue losing him was good for them?

South Carolina has made only 9 tournaments in its entire history. It’s a total garbage program. They should build him a statue for getting them a Final Four.

K State made the tournament 4 out of 5 years under Martin, and advanced in the tournament all 4 trips, including an Elite Eight. How on earth can you argue losing him was good for them?

South Carolina has made only 9 tournaments in its entire history. It’s a total garbage program. They should build him a statue for getting them a Final Four.

South Carolina isn’t a good program (though remember they played in ACC until 1992 and had to deal with UNC, Duke, Maryland etc. with the tourney not expanding to 64 till 1985 hence the low tourney numbers ) but there is absolutely no excuse to not have 4-5 NCAAT at a P6 school in 10 years. Unless your Scott Drew taking over Baylor, there is no excuse to be that bad at a P6 school. He made a final four and did nothing with it.

No thanks. If we are going to hire assistants like Martin, we need to hire an offensive minded guy. Defense isn’t the problem here.
Well sure, if the options were Frank Martin and the college basketball equivalent of Josh Heupel, it's clear what this team needs. I'm not saying we need to make a concerted effort to go get Frank Martin.

Reactions: berryvol
I find Martin to be too abrasive for my taste. That's what got him fired at Kansas State.
But he is somewhat effective.

He wasn't fired at KSU. He left there to take the USCe job. Ironically, he couldn't get along with his AD, who was John Currie. There were reports that Currie was doing things to make Martin miserable.

Edit: I was SGMVol'd. Didn't read further.

South Carolina isn’t a good program (though remember they played in ACC until 1992 and had to deal with UNC, Duke, Maryland etc. with the tourney not expanding to 64 till 1985 hence the low tourney numbers ) but there is absolutely no excuse to not have 4-5 NCAAT at a P6 school in 10 years. Unless your Scott Drew taking over Baylor, there is no excuse to be that bad at a P6 school. He made a final four and did nothing with it.

USCjr left the ACC in 1971, not 1992. They were an independent when they joined the SEC with Arkansas.

Reactions: feathersax
USCjr left the ACC in 1971, not 1992. They were an independent when they joined the SEC with Arkansas.

They were actually in the metro conference before joining the SEC in basketball. Didn’t realize USC was a football independent

F9042597-D1FC-49EA-9645-447CAAFB540B.gif

SC head coach message to VOL fans. Thought this was pretty cool.

And the fans think their behavior has little influence on recruits, players, coaches and programs? Seems better on here now that we got rid of cornbread lol

VN Store

Back