Formula 1 Thread

Good weekend for the Ferraris. Alonso didn't seem to have the same speed as Massa, Hamilton, and Raikkonen.

That was quite a pass Heidfeld put on Alonso, too.

Sucked for Coulthard after driving all the way up to 8th or 9th from the back.

Its good though that the points are close. Last year Alonso I believe started off hot and it wasn't very interesting. This is better for the sport with Schumi gone.

The Ferrari cars were fastest in three out of the four days of testing in Barcelona for the upcoming Spanish GP. There was rain during the middle day of testing and for the last half of the fourth day.

autosport.com - F1 News: Raikkonen fastest at Barcelona
autosport.com - F1 News: Raikkonen fastest on wet second day
autosport.com - F1 News: Massa keeps Ferrari on top in Barcelona
autosport.com - F1 News: Coulthard fastest at rain-hit Barcelona

McLaren apparently spent the test developing a radical new wing that they will debut for the race weekend.

autosport.com - F1 News: McLaren to take new wing to Spanish GP

The new flap, which is mounted over the nose between the front wing endplates, delivered encouraging results during testing at Barcelona in Spain this week - and the team hope it will play a part in allowing them to beat Ferrari next weekend.

4 week breaks suck. Besides Talladega this weekend, the Spanish GP is the race I'm most looking forward to!

The Official Formula 1 Website

Course map and other information.
Slight change in the track from that map.

A chicane has been placed between the final two corners, previously both high-speed turns. Though the modification is mainly for safety purposes, the chicane is also designed to encourage more overtaking by bunching cars up ahead of the final turn.

Edit: They actually have the track map updated to show the chicane.

that's a pretty significant track change if it's going to add almost 5 seconds a lap. should be interesting to see if it really helps improve overtaking or not.

The McLarens led both of the Friday practice session, by a fairly significant margin in both instances. I've got to imagine the Ferraris aren't going to focus on mock qualifying runs until the Saturday morning practice prior to qualifying however.

Practice 1: The Official Formula 1 Website
Practice 2: The Official Formula 1 Website

The Renault cars jumped up to 2nd and 3rd in practice two. Even more evidence that Ferrari wasn't running on light fuel + softer tires for a qualifying run.

Look at Scott Speed up in 10th, even if it's a practice session!

F1 at night? Looks like a go as long as safety requirements are met...

Singapore will host a round of the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship, it was confirmed on Friday. The race, to be held on a new street circuit, will be the first night-time event in Formula One history.

Speed is saying race coverage/pre-race begins at 7:30EST.

It re-airs at 10EST Sunday night.

It's quite a change from NASCAR, being able to watch what cars and drivers can do without cautions bunching them back up every 50 laps. Make one mistake and you're done for the race. I love it.

The qualifying is even exciting. That airs live on Speed tomorrow morning at 8EST.

I use to watch F1 about 5 or 6 years ago and I really enjoyed it. It's just so hard to be up that early to watch it. I've never seen qualifying before, but reading the rules, it's probably entertaining.

The McLarens still fast during Saturday Practice. Are the Ferraris sandbagging just before qualifying? It is the BMWs right there with McLaren on the timesheet prior to qualifying. We shall soon see. :rock2:

Ferrari remains the only team to claim a pole position in 2007. Massa wins his third in a row followed closely by Alonso. Another tight qualifying session that came down to the final cars as Massa set the fastest time followed by Alonso who fell just .03 seconds short.

Ferrari and McLaren still with a stranglehold on the top four positions on the grid.

VN Store

Back