Formula 1 Thread

Yep, that too crossed my mind. After the one left, there are two rights after that, the second being turn four after a decent straight stretch, so that one is irrelevant by that point.

Still can't help but be impressed with Hamilton though. I found myself pulling for the McLarens throughout the weekend. Even when I didn't pay much attention to F1, you'd of course always hear about Schumacher/Ferrari winning all the time, so I subconsciously hoped someone would beat them. I guess that's extended to now where I'm pulling for Ferrari's main competition, heh.

Apparently all you can say about Schumacher and Ferrari is what David Hobbs said after the race, "If Michael Schumacher was driving for Ferrari today, they would've won."

David Hobbs is a smart man. when he talks, i listen.

Schumi never got beat like that at the post. there was no excuse for that.

Ferrari's recent domination comes from Schumacher. before that, they went in spurts.

"If Michael Schumacher was driving for Ferrari today, they would've won."[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. Ferrari engine had leak problems all weekend. Think this may have been reason for slower car. Schumi may have won the corner at the beginning but Mercedes just seemed like the faster car on Sunday.

Yeah, they kept referring to Raikkonen maybe not going as fast as he could due to engine problems. Did I understand them correctly over the weekend when they said each car must use the same engine for two consecutive races? I think that's what I heard.

It looked like Massa had a great car, he just got too far behind after messing around with Hamilton and eventually going off course.

I'll have to check the rules Tiddy. Right now have just gotten into watching again and haven't caught up on the changes.

Mindful of the massive cost of these ultra high-tech engines, the FIA introduced new regulations in 2005 limiting each car to one engine per two Grand Prix weekends, with ten-place grid penalties for those breaking the rule. From 2007 this regulation only applies on Saturdays and Sundays, allowing drivers to test alternative engines on Fridays.

The Official Formula 1 Website

Amazing what a little research on F1's website wll do. :)

If anyone has a Playstation 3 they have a Formula One game based on last year's teams out. The graphics and gameplay are AMAZING to say the least. For a console racer the feel you have for these cars cannot be beat. I started a career mode and you have to test drive for teams to make a team - and you start out testing for the scrub teams. After nearly 2 hours I FINALLY passed the Super Aguri test and they offered me the main ride of the two car effort.

I kicked the game down to Easy while I get used to it but kept all of the driving aids off to make the feel realistic - it just slows the AI down. In my 3rd race I qualified on the pole, it was at Australia. Anyway, I spun the tires on start and let Schumacher get inside of me into turn one. Just as in real F1 you cannot play bumper cars as I had realistic damage on. I went wide and it also allowed Alonso, Montoya, and 2 other cars to drive by me. I heard the announcers going berzerk saying there was a crash in turn 2, behind me. Once I hit the straight I saw that one of the Williams cars actually messed up and overcooked the car getting sideways and he got pounded by one of the scrub cars and parts and pieces flew everywhere bringing out the local yellow. Was cool to see the AI actually mess up by themselves.

Anyway, even on Easy the Aguri is so woefully underpowered it's not funny on the straights. I ran a 12 lap race with modified fuel/tire use to make it more realistic. I was on a one stop strategy and pitted on lap 6. By then I was running in 4th right behind Montoya. I came out in 5th, behind Fisi. For the next 5 laps I drove as hard as humanly possible, sometimes even making a good pass on him for him only to overtake me again going back down the straightaway or right into the turn at the end of the straight. We swapped spots at least 3 times, and believe me it was intense. Finally, with 2 laps to go I got him in the middle of the circuit and then was able to drive away. I thought, 4th, not too bad. Then I saw Montoya about 2 seconds ahead. I drove the last lap as flat out as I could, right on the edge. I passed him on the big left hander right before the finish line and got a podium. I know this is a game but I swear I was sweating, heart beat racing, and I had the greatest sense of fulfillment by just finishing 3rd than I've ever had winning another racing game. Now, I'm anxious for my 4th race tonight at San Marino.

Since you have to test the cars on 2 lap runs at a time to "gather data" for the team you have to log alot of laps but it's worth it to get used to the tracks.

This game is great - I wish the Nascar series could be 1/2 this good with the sense of realism. Be warned though, anyone that gets this game - after playing for a couple of hours in cockpit mode I got an incredible headache from the sense of speed of the game - it's that good.

San Marino is great race. The one race I did attend and saw almost no qualifying because we spent the whole day at a cafe drinking beers inside the track. MMm... the memories.

I bought a Formula One video a couple years back for the PS2, but I never really played it much until recently. Now I just do the test drive mode just to drive on some of the tracks. I wore out the Malaysian track this week so I could get familiar with the track that I was about to watch a race on. It's nice to actually have a mental image of the track and know what it somewhat looks like ebfore you watch the race there.

As for the game itself, I'm worthless without the driving aids. :lol: I finally tried it with the antilock brake system and traction control off... missed the first turn and once i got pointed in the right way I lost control upon acceleration thanks to the lack of TC. Driving aids, back on immediately.

why would you try and drive without TC when the real drivers don't even do it?

It was an option to turn it off and I ignorantly tried it. :lol:

The real drivers won't have it next year either, however.

The first practice for the Bahrain GP begins in less than two hours! :w00t:

Speed will be airing the second practice live Friday morning at 7EST. I know my clock will be set...

The first practice for the Bahrain GP begins in less than two hours! :w00t:

Speed will be airing the second practice live Friday morning at 7EST. I know my clock will be set...

Man, you are really getting into F1. Good for you.

no joke. i don't even think i'm that into it. what time is the race Saturday night/Sunday morning?

that may be one of those i set the alarm for, turn on, and watch in a semi-concious state of mind in bed.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna get up for it, but that practice this morning killed me. :lol:

It also re-airs at 10EST later Sunday night.

Raikkonen was way out in front of the field in that first session, but the top 11 were all within a second of each other in session two. Pretty incredible. Kubica put his BMW right up there between the Ferraris and McLarens. Kinda like to see how he'd fair if his car could last the whole race, looks like he's had a lot of speed the last couple weeks.

Qualifying was on live this morning again at 7EST... but I couldn't hack it again this morning. Thankfully it re-airs at 2:30EST this afternoon. :rock2:

VN Store

Back