Formula 1 Thread

I didn’t catch the Dutch Grand Prix last year, but I will this year. Is it just me or does Zandvoort look like an entirely bland track?

I didn’t catch the Dutch Grand Prix last year, but I will this year. Is it just me or does Zandvoort look like an entirely bland track?

It’s a really cool track because it has banking that rivals a Nascar course in the 1st, 4th and final corners. It’s narrow and the main straight is short. It may not produce great racing, but as a track it’s pretty unique.

Reactions: manmojack
It’s a really cool track because it has banking that rivals a Nascar course in the 1st, 4th and final corners. It’s narrow and the main straight is short. It may not produce great racing, but as a track it’s pretty unique.
There are two things I cannot stand. People intolerant of other people, and the Dutch.

Reactions: n_huffhines
This year the rules or “formula” changed tremendously. Mercedes missed their mark initially on the design of the car and just didn’t have the pace. As fun coupon VOL mentioned, they are closing the gap well.

As for Lewis, they had him trying out experimental setups in most practice sessions so they can figure out the car’s issues. That compromised his race weekends, for the betterment of the team.

Now they’ve stopped needing him to test the wild experiments and he’s showing peak form in races.

Wasn't there something with the car porpoising where it was giving Hamilton minor concussions early in the year? Maybe that's an exaggeration, but whatever it was had to be ****ing with his performance.

Wasn't there something with the car porpoising where it was giving Hamilton minor concussions early in the year? Maybe that's an exaggeration, but whatever it was had to be ****ing with his performance.

Yeah, earlier in the year they had a big problem with the car bouncing. The biggest issue Lewis cited was back pain, this was especially bad at Baku.

Apparently the team had Lewis test a lot of different stuff earlier in the year that compromised his outright pace, but helped aid the team from a data standpoint. In the second half of the year looked like the Hamilton we’re used to.

Hopefully next year’s car will be better.

Reactions: C/O and n_huffhines
I think RBR are going to be on another planet like they were in the 2nd half of 2022.

It looks like Mercedes may be a bit lost with their car. Too early to say, only 2 hours into a 23 race season.

It was easy when I was young and I just pulled for a team. You didn’t mind a tough season. Pulling for a driver, where you realize they only have a few solid years left, it’s painful.

Could be a very long season. Even though I don’t like him, it was cool to see Alonso run well. I would love to see him race against Max in some form. I hate the way Max races wheel to wheel, so hopefully Alonso will put him in the dirt.

Could be a very long season. Even though I don’t like him, it was cool to see Alonso run well. I would love to see him race against Max in some form. I hate the way Max races wheel to wheel, so hopefully Alonso will put him in the dirt.

Will be interesting to see if AM can keep this car up for the full season for Alonso. Of course -everyone needs to watch out for Lance possibly putting them in the dirt ;)

McLaren is a cluster F at the moment and that might not get righted this season.

Good to see Williams get in the points with Albon.

Just first race, but Ferrari's problems might run deeper than just Binotto being on the wall....

I was pulling for Haas - but, that never materialized.

Reactions: n_huffhines
What did you think about today's race??
Not the most exciting fight for 1st, but being the 1st race of the year I still liked it.

It's only the 1st race, but McLaren's mechanical problems seem ominous. Hopefully it's nothing and we can see what the potential of their car is.

I find myself pulling for Haas and Williams somewhat. I'd like a competitive field and hate seeing teams routinely on the bottom doing nothing.

Having Fernando with a capable car should make things interesting. Everyone would probably just assume Red Bull, Ferrari, and Mercedes would control the top 6, but perhaps not.

I might of posted this before but this just goes to show you how far a step back the new cars are in terms of pure speed due to regulations.

I might of posted this before but this just goes to show you how far a step back the new cars are in terms of pure speed due to regulations.

The amount of rules and regs on todays cars would make the average fans head explode. I do miss the older cars.

The 2017-20 cars were super fast as well. Broke the qualifying record at monza and a few others. They did have the benefit of not having to run race level fuel like they did in 04.

Feels like Red Bull is just going to run away with this thing. Verstappen starting in 15th position was only meaningful to Perez. It was silly how easy it was for him to get to #2. They look like we should pencil them in for 1 and 2 every week, and then Aston Martin, Mercedes, and Ferrari look like they will be having a blood bath for the 3rd and 4th place every week.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
The 2017-20 cars were super fast as well. Broke the qualifying record at monza and a few others. They did have the benefit of not having to run race level fuel like they did in 04.

Was this the motor that was burning significant amounts of oil as fuel? I could be misremembering. Anyways the new cars suck.

Was this the motor that was burning significant amounts of oil as fuel? I could be misremembering. Anyways the new cars suck.

I can’t remember if it was specifically that car, but I remember oil burn bring mentioned as a trick with a couple of engine manufacturers.

I can’t remember if it was specifically that car, but I remember oil burn bring mentioned as a trick with a couple of engine manufacturers.

I just remember Mercedes coming out with video saying they had reached 50% energy production from their combustion engine. Proceed to the end of the year and the FIA / F1 put a limit on oil consumption, leading to my believe they never reached 50%.

VN Store

Back