For New/Infrequent Posters – The Rules Thread

Agreed! I don’t want to scroll through the gameday thread and 3/4 posts are telling me that this team won’t make the postseason. We all know this team is struggling right now, we all can see it. I had reasonable expectations coming into this season though.
GBO!!
A lot of us had reasonable expectations and expected a fall off. A lot of those angry ones did not have reasonable expectations and will full on deny that when they're called out on it.

I just don't understand it. I've never consistently read game threads of any other teams I have followed but this and even last year is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone feels the need to go on a message board for their team, I understand if you are a troll from another team but that is rarely the case here, and trash their team's players and coaches. The only thing I can figure out is there are guys, like us, sitting at home watching the game who have no one to talk to or vent to and say on here what they would say to their buddy in private. I will admit that in private conversations with my other two sons I have expressed frustrations about certain plays. BUT I would never do it on social media and not just because I am a parent. I would not do it about my son's former HS team that I still go watch. Why would I take the time to do it for a team I supposedly pull for. And when you guys say this is the best of the boards it makes it harder to be a UT fan because I know I could not handle any worse than this. But that is what it was like from UT fans in person when we lived there. I could not understand how you could gripe and complain so much about a team you supported with your time and money. Guys would say I just have so much invested, but you choose to invest it so why not support it thick or thin. Maybe that is why marriages fail so often is because we as people are not willing to stay with someone good or bad, rich or poor, sick or healthy. Can I get an amen?;) Sorry. I started preaching.
I see a problem with sports fandom in general, not just social media and certainly not just Vol fans. What makes it ok to lose all civility when you walk into a sports stadium? I'm all in on creating an electric environment but that can be created without the taunting and vulgarities.

Preacherman, when I was younger I would get extremely upset at a Vol loss in any sport, to the point that it would ruin my whole week. As I’ve gotten older and have things that mean more to me(kids) I have become 1000x more chill.
I still get upset and frustrated but not to the extent I once did. Please don’t take my post the wrong way, I bleed orange and will until the day they put me in the ground and don’t think I don’t care anymore and don’t realize the blood, sweat and tears that these athletes put into sport AND school, because I do and I realize that they “want it” a whole lot more than I do and that’s one reason I don’t take it so personal any longer.
1, I’m more mature now(at least I like to think so, my wife’s opinion may differ)
2, I have other things to focus time and energy on(kids)
3, these essentially are kids, they just happen to be in grown men(and women) bodies a lot of times and I think people tend to forget that.
I’ve backed off from posting a lot because it gets old reading through the nonsense, and I don’t mean the W.T.OB and mad4vols kind of nonsense!😁
I would never be offended by that. I'm actually the opposite. A loss by my son's team should eat them up but not me. I don't have any investment other than through him in it. I can't hit or catch or throw or pitch or make a lineup or substitute or call a BUNT or any of that. when I coached HS ball, a loss ate at me until the next game because I had a part in it. I can just support my son in every way I know how when he does good or bad. I keep reminding him that no matter what he does on the baseball field, it does not affect his value in my eyes. I realize that I am just a fan, who happens to be a player's father. But being a fan means that I am just a fan, not a player, not a coach, have not invested millions in this team (maybe over the years but I'm not going to go back and figure that up or I might cry). I do have a lot of orange clothing, other than deer hunting clothing, and a lot of Vollie Fingers stuff. But I'm still just a fan and cannot do anything to determine the outcome of a game so why would I get worked up over a loss other than hurt for my son. I feel the same way about other teams I pull for. I may hurt a little that day but don't live in that hurt.
On a side note, it is strange for me right now because Kirby is doing well, can change tomorrow, but his team is not. I am excited for him but hurt for his team's struggles. I have always said that most team sports are just individual sports played in conjunction with other players for the same outcome, a win. You can only do what you can do. I teach that to all of the guys and gals I do lessons for. You can only throw strikes but can't control whether it is caught when it is hit. You can only catch and throw but can't control what those around you do. You can just hit the ball but can't control whether it is caught or not. So as a fan, I can only control very little, actually hardly anything, so I have to live out what I teach.

I just don't understand it. I've never consistently read game threads of any other teams I have followed but this and even last year is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone feels the need to go on a message board for their team, I understand if you are a troll from another team but that is rarely the case here, and trash their team's players and coaches. The only thing I can figure out is there are guys, like us, sitting at home watching the game who have no one to talk to or vent to and say on here what they would say to their buddy in private. I will admit that in private conversations with my other two sons I have expressed frustrations about certain plays. BUT I would never do it on social media and not just because I am a parent. I would not do it about my son's former HS team that I still go watch. Why would I take the time to do it for a team I supposedly pull for. And when you guys say this is the best of the boards it makes it harder to be a UT fan because I know I could not handle any worse than this. But that is what it was like from UT fans in person when we lived there. I could not understand how you could gripe and complain so much about a team you supported with your time and money. Guys would say I just have so much invested, but you choose to invest it so why not support it thick or thin. Maybe that is why marriages fail so often is because we as people are not willing to stay with someone good or bad, rich or poor, sick or healthy. Can I get an amen?;) Sorry. I started preaching.
Amen brother!

I would never be offended by that. I'm actually the opposite. A loss by my son's team should eat them up but not me. I don't have any investment other than through him in it. I can't hit or catch or throw or pitch or make a lineup or substitute or call a BUNT or any of that. when I coached HS ball, a loss ate at me until the next game because I had a part in it. I can just support my son in every way I know how when he does good or bad. I keep reminding him that no matter what he does on the baseball field, it does not affect his value in my eyes. I realize that I am just a fan, who happens to be a player's father. But being a fan means that I am just a fan, not a player, not a coach, have not invested millions in this team (maybe over the years but I'm not going to go back and figure that up or I might cry). I do have a lot of orange clothing, other than deer hunting clothing, and a lot of Vollie Fingers stuff. But I'm still just a fan and cannot do anything to determine the outcome of a game so why would I get worked up over a loss other than hurt for my son. I feel the same way about other teams I pull for. I may hurt a little that day but don't live in that hurt.
On a side note, it is strange for me right now because Kirby is doing well, can change tomorrow, but his team is not. I am excited for him but hurt for his team's struggles. I have always said that most team sports are just individual sports played in conjunction with other players for the same outcome, a win. You can only do what you can do. I teach that to all of the guys and gals I do lessons for. You can only throw strikes but can't control whether it is caught when it is hit. You can only catch and throw but can't control what those around you do. You can just hit the ball but can't control whether it is caught or not. So as a fan, I can only control very little, actually hardly anything, so I have to live out what I teach.
It’s not life and death; it’s a game.

I don’t understand why some people regularly like to troll other fan bases on social media. There are probably better ways to use your time. You won’t be on the top forever, nor will you be on the bottom forever.

Act like your mother raised you.

Probably the guy that you are upset with or are yelling at (no matter the uniform they wear) is probably a decent human being who you would like if you knew them. That’s why Stache Talk has been great in letting listeners know the Tennessee guys.

It’s not life and death; it’s a game.

I don’t understand why some people regularly like to troll other fan bases on social media. There are probably better ways to use your time. You won’t be on the top forever, nor will you be on the bottom forever.

Act like your mother raised you.

Probably the guy that you are upset with or are yelling at (no matter the uniform they wear) is probably a decent human being who you would like if you knew them. That’s why Stache Talk has been great in letting listeners know the Tennessee guys.
amen

Reactions: @1RBFjr
1682662885155.gif

VN Store

Back