For Memphis fans

at a certain point, isn't there an onus on the other C-USA teams to, you know, get competitive, as opposed to just letting Memphis run roughshod through the league year after year?

UAB was getting close when they got Demarcus Cousins to commit. Of course, then he changed his mind, and well...:ermm:

I was never debating that I didn't think Memphis was good last year. They played a good ooc schedule and had some good wins. But THIS year, they are 2-3 in legitimate non-conference games and the conference is once again terrible. So, therefore, I think they deserve a 3 or 4 seed. And previously, I was making a point that when a team plays at the most 5 or 6 good ooc games and then plays in a terrible conference, and still garners extremely high seeds in the tourney, it has made it easier for Memphis to advance in the tourney.

I've never understood this argument. Granted, CUSA is a weaker conference than ACC, BE, B12. However, the majority of the schools in those conferences don't play as many marquee OOC games because of the strength of their conference (please see Pitt, OU, Clemson, UNC, Duke, etc.). These teams run rough shod during November and December with wins over lesser opponents and are typically 14-0, 13-1 when conference play starts. Memphis plays all of their tougher games in November/December with 2 OOC marquees games in January/February. Memphis just happens to run rough shod the second half of the year. I've never understood why the "experts" never bring this up.

at a certain point, isn't there an onus on the other C-USA teams to, you know, get competitive, as opposed to just letting Memphis run roughshod through the league year after year?
What are they supposed to do? Southern Miss hired a former National Coch of the Year. UAB and Houston both hired guys who, my reservations about their abilities aside, have had success. Several schools have made major facilities upgrades.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

[/B]

I get bashed here for being a Memphis homer. So I'll let Cal speak for himself. Here's a quote from his Coaches' Show 2 weeks ago:

"Ask UCLA and Michigan State if this league hurt us when we played them last year," Calipari said, referring to the Tigers' 92-74 victory over Michigan State and their 78-63 win over UCLA in the 2008 NCAA tournament.

"We were up 50-20 on Michigan State. We beat Texas by 18 [85-67] in Houston. Teams in our league played us tougher than that."

Last season was Memphis' time in the sunshine. They should have won the championship but couldn't make the hay. Getting back to the championship game will be tough for them this season for sure.

Last season was Memphis' time in the sunshine. They should have won the championship but couldn't make the hay. Getting back to the championship game will be tough for them this season for sure.

That's fine and I don't disagree, but don't you think it's a bit stupid for UT fans to attempt to make fun of them by laughing at how they couldn't win in the championship game, when we've never gotten out of the round of 16?

I know if the situation were reversed UT fans' first reaction would be "Hey Memphis, how many championship games you been to? That's what I thought."

It's not like they won't have other chances...they have a good chance to get the top three freshmen in the country, which would be sick and probably unprecedented.

It's not like they won't have other chances...they have a good chance to get the top three freshmen in the country, which would be sick and probably unprecedented.
Not to mention scary for every program in their way next year.

Not to mention scary for every program in their way next year.

I think they are playing Duke in Chicago and UNC in Memphis next year. Unless those talks fell through, which I thought I heard the Duke game is a done deal.

No Sh** Sherlock. It's tough for any team to make the NC game. Consider that since 1985 only 25 (out of possible 48) different teams have made the NC game, 3 of which were from non-BCS conferences. That's why it is such a big deal just to get there.

It will also be hard for the following teams to get to the NC game: Louisville, UConn, Pitt, Oklahoma, Duke, etc.

Memphis' time in the sunshine has been the last 4 years in case you just started watching CBB. Any Tiger fan will tell you that this is a REBUILDING year and that 2010 is the year we were expecting another legit run at NC. That being said, the field this year is not dominant, so the Tigers have as good a chance as anyone else.

[/B]

No Sh** Sherlock. It's tough for any team to make the NC game. Consider that since 1985 only 25 (out of possible 48) different teams have made the NC game, 3 of which were from non-BCS conferences. That's why it is such a big deal just to get there.

It will also be hard for the following teams to get to the NC game: Louisville, UConn, Pitt, Oklahoma, Duke, etc.

Memphis' time in the sunshine has been the last 4 years in case you just started watching CBB. Any Tiger fan will tell you that this is a REBUILDING year and that 2010 is the year we were expecting another legit run at NC. That being said, the field this year is not dominant, so the Tigers have as good a chance as anyone else.

Now that's funny.

VN Store

Back