For Memphis fans

I think he's agreeing with you (he was being sarcastic I think)... :whistling:

If that's the case it exposes my lack of sarcasm knowledge .:) I never have been good at catching the sarcasm . hmmmmmmm......

Also my appologies .

Last edited:
The only way to know it is if you're clairvoyant. You telling me you know what might happen regarding something that's not gonna happen? Besides, how high have those schools you mentioned been seeded and have any of them been to the elite eight or final four in the last three years?

Yes. You have to go way back to last year.

Sure you have a way of knowing that. What were the Tigers seeded in tournaments before Cincinnati, Louisville, DePaul and Marquette left C-USA?
I'm pretty sure Cal wouldn't be too concerned if teams coached by Mick Cronin and Buzz Williams, as well as a squad that went 0-18 in league play, moved back into C-USA tomorrow. He's all but begging Pitino to play a game in Nashville, so he doesn't seem to averse to playing them, either.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Cal wouldn't be too concerned if teams coached by Mick Cronin and Buzz Williams, as well as a squad that went 0-18 in league play, moved back into C-USA tomorrow. He's all buy begging Pitino to play a game in Nashville, so he doesn't seem to averse to playing them, either.

I agree, but it is unquestionable that Memphis' program has certainly ascended after all the other credible programs moved out of C-USA.

......the fellows in orange were watching from their dorm rooms , no wait they'd lost long before that pretty bad to the cardinals ( so they had time for a final four party like the rest of us ) . So they were probably at cbp's enjoying the game .....

troll!

:)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Cal wouldn't be too concerned if teams coached by Mick Cronin and Buzz Williams, as well as a squad that went 0-18 in league play, moved back into C-USA tomorrow. He's all but begging Pitino to play a game in Nashville, so he doesn't seem to averse to playing them, either.

Are you arguing that Memphis' seeding in the tournament and the departure of all credible competition aren't correlated?

Memphis has a great basketball program rolling and Cal is clowning the NCAA tournament committee by playing in a one trick pony league.

Are you arguing that Memphis' seeding in the tournament and the departure of all credible competition aren't correlated?

Memphis has a great basketball program rolling and Cal is clowning the NCAA tournament committee by playing in a one trick pony league.
Yeah, because their tournament results the last three years have certainly indicated they have been overseeded.

Yeah, because their tournament results the last three years have certainly indicated they have been overseeded.

I agree the results have been impressive, but everyone would agree that advancing deep in the tourney is most definitely correlated with having a high seed. The only point I think people are making is that when you play in a league that is terrible, it is much easier to run up an impressive record, and they are always given an extremely high seed which allows them to advance deep.

I agree the results have been impressive, but everyone would agree that advancing deep in the tourney is most definitely correlated with having a high seed. The only point I think people are making is that when you play in a league that is terrible, it is much easier to run up an impressive record, and they are always given an extremely high seed which allows them to advance deep.
I'm waiting for someone to show me who should have been seeded ahead of Memphis in any of those seasons.

Hasn't Memphis made a habit of playing teams like Xavier...and Georgetown...and Syracuse...and Tennessee...and Gonzaga...and UConn...and Oklahoma...and Georgia Tech (when they were good)...and Kentucky (same)...and Arizona...while going 16-0 in conference...they don't seem too overrated to me

Playing a pretty tough out of confernce schedule and for the most part winning , didn't hurt getting the #1 &2 seeds .

Honestly, the only thing I care about is National Championships. Memphis has won how many in basketball? Yes, their ranking and seeding this year is undoubtedly bolstered by Conference USA scheduling. If they were in the Big East or ACC, there is no way they would be close to where they are ranked now.

I get bashed here for being a Memphis homer. So I'll let Cal speak for himself. Here's a quote from his Coaches' Show 2 weeks ago:

"Ask UCLA and Michigan State if this league hurt us when we played them last year," Calipari said, referring to the Tigers' 92-74 victory over Michigan State and their 78-63 win over UCLA in the 2008 NCAA tournament.

"We were up 50-20 on Michigan State. We beat Texas by 18 [85-67] in Houston. Teams in our league played us tougher than that."

Playing a pretty tough out of confernce schedule and for the most part winning , didn't hurt getting the #1 &2 seeds .

I agree that Memphis plays a tough non-conference schedule, but your best ooc win is us. You lost to G-Town, Syracuse, Xavier. And you are probably going to get a 1 or 2 seed. Going 1-3 in tough ooc games and then playing a horrible conference and getting a 1 or 2 seed is a joke in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure Cal wouldn't be too concerned if teams coached by Mick Cronin and Buzz Williams, as well as a squad that went 0-18 in league play, moved back into C-USA tomorrow. He's all but begging Pitino to play a game in Nashville, so he doesn't seem to averse to playing them, either.[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget the Tigers record versus the "big boys" in the old Conference USA. The only team with a winning record over them from the inception of CUSA to the departure was Cincy.

Also, let's not forget that U of L bought out the series against Memphis that was required when they left CUSA.

I agree that Memphis plays a tough non-conference schedule, but your best ooc win is us. You lost to G-Town, Syracuse, Xavier. And you are probably going to get a 1 or 2 seed. Going 1-3 in tough ooc games and then playing a horrible conference and getting a 1 or 2 seed is a joke in my opinion.
Beating Gonzaga's brains out in Spokane was far more impressive than sneaking by UT in Knoxville.

2-3, they beat Gonzaga as well.

They're a good team... I personally don't think that they're worthy of a 1 or 2 seed, but they will make some noise in the tourney.

2-3, they beat Gonzaga as well.

They're a good team... I personally don't think that they're worthy of a 1 or 2 seed, but they will make some noise in the tourney.

True, I completely forgot Gonzaga. I too think they are a good team, but probably more worthy of a 3 or 4 seed.

Playing a top 5 OOC schedule (the one you have actual control over) is really playing the committee.

Last 4 years Tigers are 71-1 against CUSA. Record against OOC schedule and NCAA games is 61-12. OOC schedule has been consistently in range of 4-20.

Memphis fans would gladly trade 3-4 losses in BB for the $$ of being in an all sports BCS conference. That would enable the football program to actually develop into some sort of national prominence. Until that happens, we'll just take our 30 win BB seasons and 1 or 2 seeds.

All loses occurred while Evans was nursing an ankle sprain and not playing the point. This year is a rebuilding year for Memphis. Tigers lost over 50% of scoring, rebounding, and assists from last years' team.

Go to gotigersgo.com and pull up the schedules of the last 4 years. Previous 3 seasons were littered with Top 20 teams. Guess drilling the likes of Gonzaga (4), UCLA (2), Kentucky, Oklahoma, UConn, Georgetown (when they were #3), Arizona, Texas (2), UT (2), etc. was a joke. Not to mention the NCAA tourney wins as well. Then check out the losses during those years. 1/3 of those 13 losses were to teams ranked in the Top 5. Only 2 unranked teams have beaten the Tigers in the last 4 years. Only 2 non-NCAA tournament teams have beaten them as well. None were outside the RPI Top 100.

Beating Gonzaga's brains out in Spokane was far more impressive than sneaking by UT in Knoxville.

Yeah , The TIGERS pounded the # 11 team at their place , gosh the TIGERS are weak .

Early in the season Cal admits he made mistakes in player positioning causing losses . ( and the losses were close ) I think I can say now , that's been rectified. 20 something games ago he finally got the right people in the right places and we havn't lost since which includes the Vols and Gonzaga at y'alls place.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah the sixth man of the year in the conference was out during part of this time with Knee surgery .

Last edited:
"We were up 50-20 on Michigan State. We beat Texas by 18 [85-67] in Houston. Teams in our league played us tougher than that."
Sitting there in the front row of Reliant stadium the night in Houston was extremely funny. Most of the Texas fans stuck around after the Stanford game and their jaws were on the floor next to State fans' jaws. They were asking me if Memphis always plays like this. :birgits_giggle:

Yeah , The TIGERS pounded the # 11 team at their place , gosh the TIGERS are weak .

Early in the season Cal admits he made mistakes in player positioning causing losses . ( and the losses were close ) I think I can say now , that's been rectified. 20 something games ago he finally got the right people in the right places and we havn't lost since which includes the Vols and Gonzaga at y'alls place.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah the sixth man of the year in the conference was out during part of this time with Knee surgery .
I felt it was kind of odd for WW to get the 6th man but I don't know who else to give it to.

Also, I am not sure Memphis could have won all 3 of those games had Tyreke started the season at PG. G'town, yea probably. Not sure about Xavier and Syracuse though. Tyreke was not in the comfort zone (relaxed play) that he is now. I definitely think he knows the offense more now and I think the Tigers could take any of those 3 now.

Tigers do not deserve a #1 seed IMO.

All loses occurred while Evans was nursing an ankle sprain and not playing the point. This year is a rebuilding year for Memphis. Tigers lost over 50% of scoring, rebounding, and assists from last years' team.

Go to gotigersgo.com and pull up the schedules of the last 4 years. Previous 3 seasons were littered with Top 20 teams. Guess drilling the likes of Gonzaga (4), UCLA (2), Kentucky, Oklahoma, UConn, Georgetown (when they were #3), Arizona, Texas (2), UT (2), etc. was a joke. Not to mention the NCAA tourney wins as well. Then check out the losses during those years. 1/3 of those 13 losses were to teams ranked in the Top 5. Only 2 unranked teams have beaten the Tigers in the last 4 years. Only 2 non-NCAA tournament teams have beaten them as well. None were outside the RPI Top 100.

I was never debating that I didn't think Memphis was good last year. They played a good ooc schedule and had some good wins. But THIS year, they are 2-3 in legitimate non-conference games and the conference is once again terrible. So, therefore, I think they deserve a 3 or 4 seed. And previously, I was making a point that when a team plays at the most 5 or 6 good ooc games and then plays in a terrible conference, and still garners extremely high seeds in the tourney, it has made it easier for Memphis to advance in the tourney.

Last edited:
at a certain point, isn't there an onus on the other C-USA teams to, you know, get competitive, as opposed to just letting Memphis run roughshod through the league year after year?

at a certain point, isn't there an onus on the other C-USA teams to, you know, get competitive, as opposed to just letting Memphis run roughshod through the league year after year?

That will probably have to wait at least one more year.

VN Store

Back