For all you think we may get 6 wins or less....

Last Year's Predicted Wins Poll:

9 or more Votes: 22 = 4.6%
8 Votes: 70= 14.7%
7 Votes: 190 = 39.8%
6 Votes: 144 = 30.2%
5 Votes: 47 = 9.9%
4 or less Votes: 4 = 0.8%

To Sum Up:
Overly optimistic VN posters = ~60%
Cautiously optimistic VN posters = ~30%
Realistic VN posters = ~10%
Bona Fide Negavols = Less than 1%

Which category do you think you're in?

I’m a huge negaVol and I think I still picked 6. It was either 6 or 5.

Still leaning 6 this year depending on what happens between now and Sept.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I wouldn't count on it. If UGA can keep a good coach... they've got maybe the easiest recruiting situations in the entire country. They're really the only instate school that recruits at a high level... in a state that produces 30+ 4/5* players in any given year.
No doubt about it, they have serious talent coming out of that state. I'm just betting our coaching outperforms theirs to an extent that we find dimonds in the rough, pick up more bluechips, nab out of their backyard, land majority of Nashville, Memphis. But really, Pruitt doesn't care where the boy comes from. If he is good enough, we go for him. T brings serious connections and Chaney sells himself on the field. Face it, we stole their best coach. Their O may have the talent, but they are no way competing with Bama without Chaney. Once they get blown out by Bama, they start sinking back to 9 wins fighting us and FL. South Caroline and Misery get back down where they belong with Vandy and KY

This isn’t a damn beauty pageant. It isn’t enough to look good on paper. A coaching staff is only great if it wins almost all of its games. Our coaching staff may have potential, but it hasn’t proved squat yet.
Actually, it has. That is why this is even a thread. They just have not done it together here, yet. Now go get you some sunshine and pump some iron son.

No doubt about it, they have serious talent coming out of that state. I'm just betting our coaching outperforms theirs to an extent that we find dimonds in the rough, pick up more bluechips, nab out of their backyard, land majority of Nashville, Memphis. But really, Pruitt doesn't care where the boy comes from. If he is good enough, we go for him. T brings serious connections and Chaney sells himself on the field. Face it, we stole their best coach. Their O may have the talent, but they are no way competing with Bama without Chaney. Once they get blown out by Bama, they start sinking back to 9 wins fighting us and FL. South Caroline and Misery get back down where they belong with Vandy and KY
Hope you're right. The whole Chaney thing is still a mystery to me. I'm glad to have him. But I can't get past the fact that the QB left complaining about mistreatment just before he left. Just seems like an odd coincidence.

In the past 5 years alone, Clemson has signed 18 5 star players. Their team ranking (rivals) in those 5 years was #9,#8,#22 (they only signed 14 players that year, includingthree 5 stars), #6 and #5. That is 4 top 10 classes in those 5 years and 1 top 5 class. And yes, so far this year they are #1 with four 5 Stars.

So you were basically wrong on everything.

Do you not follow composite rankings? It is the industry standard and what I'm going off. Rivals is well known as hot garbage.

These are Clemson's rankings the previous 5 years to this championship's season: 7, 16, 11, 9, 16.

Before that? They were even closer to their program's very mediocre norms: 15, 20, 10, 27, 36.

We had 4 top-10s during that same period and a top 5. So yes we were equal, if not better. Remember, Clemson came form nothing. Before this Dabo baffoon, they had nothing.

That is why I think they've developed well.

I'm confident Chaney is one of CFB's best OC's and it has nothing to do with who he works for. I would have told you the same when he was at Pitt or Arkansas.

Otherwise, I just pushed back on the guy for claiming we "couldn't know" that they were good until there was proof even though he pretty much said they weren't... without proof.

I like Pruitt but I don't know he will get it done. I'm pretty objective about it. If he can't make a major improvement in 3 years or less then it is very likely he never will at UT. That's just a historical reality. Seldom do coaches struggle for their first 3+ years then become "great". That's especially true of high profile programs or high end conferences. Your exceptions will be found where the expectations were low.

Who or what stats say Chaney is one of the best? I've seen only 1 article out of 5 or 10 that put him in the top 10. He's consistently...consistent, but that's about all you can say for him. He's pulled back to being much safer since his Brees days.

I’m a huge negaVol and I think I still picked 6. It was either 6 or 5.

Still leaning 6 this year depending on what happens between now and Sept.

At least you’re owning it now.

I think the term negavol started in 2016 and is defined differently depending on who is using it.

It's always funny to me to see people wear it like a badge of honor because of my definition of it. There are only a few "negavols" by my definition and it's not something I would be proud of. But actually, the whole negavol / sunshine pumper thing is stupid anyway, so, it's not like any of it matters.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
I think the term negavol started in 2016 and is defined differently depending on who is using it.

It's always funny to me to see people wear it like a badge of honor because of my definition of it. There are only a few "negavols" by my definition and it's not something I would be proud of. But actually, the whole negavol / sunshine pumper thing is stupid anyway, so, it's not like any of it matters.

I can understand someone who has doubts, even be a little pessimistic after the last 10 years. I even understand the “hip hip hooray” crowd. What I don’t get is ones that wear it like it’s their Sunday going to meeting clothes. I suppose, it really doesn’t matter what I think of them.

Who or what stats say Chaney is one of the best? I've seen only 1 article out of 5 or 10 that put him in the top 10. He's consistently...consistent, but that's about all you can say for him. He's pulled back to being much safer since his Brees days.
He has been successful everywhere. At UT with very little talent... at UGA with a ton of talent. He's maybe the most adaptable OC anywhere. He's coached in the NFL for the Rams. He working with Joe Tiller was one of the earliest innovators of the spread passing O. Chaney and Fulmer think he's worthy of one of the highest OC salaries in the country... of course they can't be as objective as YOU... since its only their jobs riding on it.

He's not HC material which may be what you're referring to... but personally I'm glad he's not. I'd like to see him OC UT for the rest of his career.

Oh... I get it. You're setting it up so if JG fails to improve again you can blame Chaney. Clever.... no, not really.

I'm confident Chaney is one of CFB's best OC's and it has nothing to do with who he works for. I would have told you the same when he was at Pitt or Arkansas.

Otherwise, I just pushed back on the guy for claiming we "couldn't know" that they were good until there was proof even though he pretty much said they weren't... without proof.

I like Pruitt but I don't know he will get it done. I'm pretty objective about it. If he can't make a major improvement in 3 years or less then it is very likely he never will at UT. That's just a historical reality. Seldom do coaches struggle for their first 3+ years then become "great". That's especially true of high profile programs or high end conferences. Your exceptions will be found where the expectations were low.
Remember Johnny Majors?

Even the negas are predicting 6 wins. Things are looking up

Predicted 5-7 two years ago and 5-7 last year.

Does that make me a "Negavol"? Nope. It makes me a realist.

I am more optimistic for the upcoming season. 6-6 is the floor. I think it's reasonable to see a 7 win season. IF everything comes together, and I mean EVERYTHING, 8 wins is attainable but all the incoming freshman need to play like seniors with the attitude of a special forces operative.

He has been successful everywhere. At UT with very little talent... at UGA with a ton of talent. He's maybe the most adaptable OC anywhere. He's coached in the NFL for the Rams. He working with Joe Tiller was one of the earliest innovators of the spread passing O. Chaney and Fulmer think he's worthy of one of the highest OC salaries in the country... of course they can't be as objective as YOU... since its only their jobs riding on it.

He's not HC material which may be what you're referring to... but personally I'm glad he's not. I'd like to see him OC UT for the rest of his career.

Oh... I get it. You're setting it up so if JG fails to improve again you can blame Chaney. Clever.... no, not really.
1. So you really don’t think Guarantano improved from 2017 to 2018? We can debate how much, but you don’t think he improved at all?

2. Do you really have so much animus toward the kid that you have to make up some connection to him and a post that literally had nothing to do with him? You got a bad case of it brother.

Not referring to HC material, just being an elite OC or not. Never heard anyone say he's a top guy or anything. Just that he's solid, reliable, etc. Kind of a traditional game manager oc.

If we are going off payscales, we just paid 1st time OC Helton 1.2m...not the best metric imo.

Predicted 5-7 two years ago and 5-7 last year.

Does that make me a "Negavol"? Nope. It makes me a realist.

I am more optimistic for the upcoming season. 6-6 is the floor. I think it's reasonable to see a 7 win season. IF everything comes together, and I mean EVERYTHING, 8 wins is attainable but all the incoming freshman need to play like seniors with the attitude of a special forces operative.
Who called you a nega?

Reactions: VolFaninFla
1. So you really don’t think Guarantano improved from 2017 to 2018? We can debate how much, but you don’t think he improved at all?
Some. Not enough. Not close to enough.

2. Do you really have so much animus toward the kid that you have to make up some connection to him and a post that literally had nothing to do with him? You got a bad case of it brother.
I have no animus toward him. Remember Peterman? You didn't have any animus toward him that I could tell. You were just critical of his play and his fit compared to Dobbs.

I have it bad? There's a good chance I'm right about Devo's motive. If not right... it is a plus for him.

Not referring to HC material, just being an elite OC or not. Never heard anyone say he's a top guy or anything. Just that he's solid, reliable, etc. Kind of a traditional game manager oc.
I've heard that said numerous times. There's a chance you haven't heard it. There's a better chance you didn't want to hear it.

If we are going off payscales, we just paid 1st time OC Helton 1.2m...not the best metric imo.
We're going off what Fulmer and Pruitt think. They could be wrong... but they're closer to be experts on the matter than you.

Serious question: has anybody other than the OP encountered anyone (nonetheless most of the people they know) foolish enough to claim that our coaching staff is the best in the country?
It's at least better than "the best staff in country"

Reactions: Devo182 and sjt18

VN Store

Back