Football vs LadyVols vs Mens BB

The football team
giphy.gif

Men's BB is on top right now. Barnes is outstanding.
Women's BB continues to slide. Warlick was a decent assistant coach.
Men's FB (as if there was a women's version) has turned the corner. It isn't outstanding but Pruitt is doing a good job. Time will tell if he is outstanding.

GO BIG ORANGE!

I don't know much about women's BB, but it seems stunning to me how Warlick ended up being unprepared or not cut out to be a head coach at a big program. She was Summitt's assistant for 27 years and was more or less running things for the last 2-3 years of her tenure. And the area where you think it might be harder to replicate what Summitt did, recruiting, isn't her problem. Warlick's problem seems to be as a tactician and getting her teams motivated to play.

I know women's BB has gotten more competitive over the last several years, but the talent pool is still relatively shallow when compared to other sports. How that program has been run into the ground is astonishing considering how much experience she has.

Last edited:
I don't know much about women's BB, but it seems stunning to me how Warlick ended up being unprepared or not cut out to be a head coach at a big program. She was Summitt's assistant for 27 years and was more or less running things for the last 2-3 years of her tenure. And the area where you think it might be able to replicate what Summitt did, recruiting, isn't her problem. Warlick's problem seems to be as a tactician and getting her teams motivated to play.

I know women's BB has gotten more competitive over the last several years, but the talent pool is still relatively shallow when compared to other sports. How that program has been run into the ground is astonishing considering how much experience she has.

Fulmer needs to show Holly the door. Only time will tell if he will.

I'm afraid if he doesn't, Holly will destroy everything Pat built.

Lady Vols fan or not, this is one of our storied programs. No one should want to see this happen.

Lady Vols fan or not, this is one of our storied programs. No one should want to see this happen.
It would take a long, long time to destroy everything Summitt built. The team is a shadow of what it once was, but the real value in what Summitt build was the program and the brand. Everybody has heard of the Lady Vols and recognizes that logo. When you think of women's BB, college or professional, you think of Pat Summitt. She is that big of a figure and basically built the sport into what it eventually became. Summitt, the Lady Vols, and UT will always be connected to that - Summitt/Geno and UT/UConn essentially built women's college basketball.

No matter how badly the program is run into the ground, you'd think we should be able to attract a top coach. The problem is that it is going to be really hard to Fulmer to fire Warlick. If they had no prior connection as colleagues, there's no doubt she'd already have been fired.

This kind of sums up the past couple of years. First, the men's BB team.View attachment 191977

Programs have high tide & low tide. We had a period in which we had 1st round NFL draftees each draft, went to bowl games every year, had our third string players beat Ky. & Vandy & sold out games 6 times per season. Now, none of those scenerios are correct.

The men's program struggles under Wade Houston. Bounced back for a minute during Kevin O'Neill. Fell under Buzz. Rose to the top under Pearl. Most body of work on Martin was bad; except last tourney run. Donnie was bad. Now, Barnes is good again.

Ladies rose under Pat & are slowly getting worse each season. As Pat's players graduate, her influence wains and the new girls are not being taught discipline & toughness.... My hope is that we don't make NCAA this season & Holly will be forced to retire & we can get a younger, alum to come in and coach. She is Buzz Peterson, in that the roster is in place but she can't win. New coach will be Pearl, who will knows how to coach that roster and get us back to respectability in SEC & NCAA.

Reactions: Volle and 10cpride
It would take a long, long time to destroy everything Summitt built. The team is a shadow of what it once was, but the real value in what Summitt build was the program and the brand. Everybody has heard of the Lady Vols and recognizes that logo. When you think of women's BB, college or professional, you think of Pat Summitt. She is that big of a figure and basically built the sport into what it eventually became. Summitt, the Lady Vols, and UT will always be connected to that - Summitt/Geno and UT/UConn essentially built women's college basketball.

No matter how badly the program is run into the ground, you'd think we should be able to attract a top coach. The problem is that it is going to be really hard to Fulmer to fire Warlick. If they had no prior connection as colleagues, there's no doubt she'd already have been fired.

People say the same thing about Nebraska football from the 90s.

Holly has the Lady Vols as a bubble team this year. There is a chance they could possibly not make the tournament.

Just like Nebraska, people could always look back at the Lady Vols as a once powerful program under Pat Summitt. Doesn't mean Holly won't run it into the ground.

People say the same thing about Nebraska football from the 90s.

Holly has the Lady Vols as a bubble team this year. There is a chance they could possibly not make the tournament.

Just like Nebraska, people could always look back at the Lady Vols as a once powerful program under Pat Summitt. Doesn't mean Holly won't run it into the ground.
Nebraska football is a little different deal than the Lady Vols. The Lady Vols, and Pat Summitt, helped build the sport itself. Tom Osborne, as great of a coach as he was, isn't even as towering a figure in college football as Pat Summitt is in women's BB. And Osborne is a huge figure.

Nebraska was a dominant program, but didn't build the sport of college football. College football is also much more competitive than women's BB and Nebraska isn't located close to the talent pool (much bigger problem in football than basketball). Nebraska is also in a conference they don't really fit in to, although the decline of their program started before their move to the Big Ten.

On the other hand, there's really no reason the Lady Vols should be struggling this badly. The sport is more competitive that it used to be - there are, what, 6-8 good programs now instead of 2, but the competitive environment in women's BB is still exceptionally thin when compared to other sports. A program like the Lady Vols should still able able to thrive today.

Personally, if 20 years ago someone would have told me the Men's basketball team would be ranked Number One with both the Lady Vols and football team not even being ranked, I would have never-ever believed it!!!! Amazing how things change over time.

Reactions: 10cpride
There is no reason all 3 couldn't be great at the same time.

Well, other than the admin has to get behind it.

Reactions: igotworms

Fulmer needs to fire Holly and go buy a big name coach. The brand should still attract such a coach.

Reactions: Manning Up
Men's FB (as if there was a women's version) has turned the corner. It isn't outstanding but Pruitt is doing a good job. Time will tell if he is outstanding.

GO BIG ORANGE!

What corner have they turned? I'm yet to see much beyond spinning of the wheels. Who told you this? Fulmer? Alrighty then.

GO BIG ORANGE!

We've already turned the corner at 5-7??? lol

I'll wait to see if we can win the East before proclaiming this. CBJ had us at back to back 9 wins, top 25, 3 straight bowl wins. That is the bar at minimum. Pruitt needs to surpass that, and maintain it, before I'd say we turned any corner. Otherwise we're just on the latest coach's up and down rollercoaster.

What's continually shocking 2005-2018 is how embarrassingly low our floor is. Not even 6-6.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Its just sports and doesn't mean a thing in real life and Ive learned that with age but Ive gotten as much joy out of seeing the LVs crumble as I have seeing the men turn into a powerhouse.

I hope they keep Holly for 20 more years.

You can also say Im not a real UT fan if I dont like the LVs and that's OK because Im not out to prove anything to anyone.

Like I said before its just a meaningless hobby to everyone who doesn't draw a paycheck from UT or go to school there.

Ill root for anyone who ever plays against the LVs and always will.

Pat Summitt caused that.

Not anyone but her...and Joan Cronan.

GO BIG ORANGE!
Football has turned the corner? What? 5-7 with a school record 6 games lost by 25+ points ain’t turning the corner imo. If how we ended the season last year vs Mizzou and Vandy is any indication, and I believe it is, we can’t even see the corner right now.....

VN Store

Back