Football isn’t happening...

If a high school goes virtual, then all team sports will be discontinued. Right now in Florida, teams are starting to work out. I think the schedules are being pared down (number of games) and there might even be some rule changes to shorten the length of games. But I would be surprised if the high school athletic association cancels all sports during the summer. The big concern is when the schools start back up in August.

As much as I hate to admit it...you're right.

For all you all people out there, that think
This is some type or ruse or wool they are trying to pull over our heads... like at this image.
This is Copocabana Beach in Brazil. There are thousands of these crosses. They are memorials to all that have died. Mind you....this is a world famous tourist destination. As you can see nobody is out there laying on the beach soaking up the sun as tourist have been doing for decades.

_112868009_061909810-1-jpg.288134
Little, you know those aren't real graves, right? That was a publicity photo op, staged by folks protesting the Brazilian government's response to the disease thus far.

It is not "thousands" of crosses. It is precisely 100. Intentionally 100. Exactly 100.And they're not memorials. They're props to make a political point. They picked that number, and the symbology (black crosses) on purpose. To make an impact. As they clearly did with some.

Not real, brother. Gotta question what you're seeing, because it's often not what you think, these days.

100 Graves Dug At Copacabana Beach To Protest Brazil's COVID-19 Response

Last edited:
If you had asked me a week ago, I would have said we are playing. But this week has been pretty ominous with even non-contact sports having transmission issues.
Me to a week ago i was all fired up about the football season, but after taking a hard look at it no way play till Vaccine is found. maybe in 21 we can play.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Way back in the 50's as a high school player, "we were told to try to pick up (steal) the other teams signals, just as they were trying to do the same. It was part of the game. As it is now.
Of course. But we're u using high speed cameras with zoom lenses. Able to transmit to a coach instantaneously? Player steps out of box, adjusts gloves, cup etc. Signals delivered to coach and player. Yeah things are quiet different than trying to pick up the catchers signal at second base and signal your batter at the plate.

I guess I have to state where I was at the beginning of this whole thing. That was....

Yes, this is serious and we should take this seriously. BUT, it was blown out or proportion. it was not worth making people across the country, particularly people in places like Alaska or the Dakotas shut down over this. That there were no objective criteria for shutting down and there are no objective criteria for opening up. And everybody, including the WHO and CDC are making **** up as they go along. And that with all of this talk of "science", it is still in large part "medical opinion". And when you are dealing with something new, and not a whole lot of research, there are a lot of people who are giving their opinion that are giving a wild ass guess like everyone else. Not to mention, that I don't believe any organization is free from political influence, so by nature (while I am not looking for black helicopters), I don't trust anybody.

That was then.

Now, we know Dr. Fauci has lied and/or contradicted himself on numerous occasions. We know that states have opened up while the numbers that are present would have shut us down 1 month ago. We know that the vast majority of people do not die from this. We know that the medical community is not under strain from this. We know that a certain percentage of people who have this are actually asymptomatic.

I don't like any of this any more than any one else. But, we failed to contain it way back when. It probably is never going away. And so, IMO, we have to deal with a new paradigm....life+COVID19.

So, since I don't want to live in a world where everyone has to wear a mask all the time, you can't leave the house, and everyone has to hose down surfaces with God knows what every 5 minutes....I fully advocate in living in a world that we did before COVID-19 and that what ever happens as a result can be dealt with in the age old way everything else is......**** happens.

Those who need to take precaution, do so. Those who want to take a risk, do so.

It amazes me that so many are concerned about COVID-19 happening to these athletes, but they are welcome to experience all the brain damage they want.
Preach Gator, Preach!

There was no containing this anyways....not on a country of this size and of this mobility. Dealing with microbes is a part of being human.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Football isn’t happening...
Assuming for the moment this is the case. How exactly do they do “no football”? Do scholarship players get an extra year of eligibility? How do you handle the incoming classes? Expand rosters to 105 for 2021? Do they let teams out of their home and home obligation? How, just call it bad luck, through a payout, split the gate of the game actually paid? Do coaches get their full salary? Do the networks have to pay for games they do not play? That’s like $200,000,000 in play just for SEC games for 2020. Do the advertisers have to pay the networks? Who takes the financial hit for this, the schools and conferences, the networks, a chunk of pain for everyone? Do officials and support staff get paid? Do you lay-off the AD staff? There are 100 more questions I haven't even thought of.

Plus, a LOT of the other athletic programs WILL be in an world of hurt or wiped out completely.

“Football isn’t happening...“

if true...just send in the damn locusts and take me away...I KNOW where I’m going...

and I’m sick and tired with all this CRAP going on...

Reactions: oz615
Had all of the symptoms of COVID in February and was prescribed generic Tamiflu.

Have to wonder how many people on here are giving medical advice without a medical degree.
Are you kidding? 9 out of 10 got their medical degree from a matchbook cover school and are living in mama’s basement.

Reactions: onevol74
Saying that Dr. Fauci lied implies malice. Strong words that should never be uttered without the strongest factual basis to do so. The last sentence I just don't follow at all. What are you comparing this to, football and the fans who watch it? It does not necessarily follow that fans concerned about COVID-19 "experience all the brain damage they want".

The line regarding COVID/CTE was a false equivalency and I shouldn't have gone there.

But, Dr. Fauci lied and I think he even admitted it using those words (regarding the wearing of masks). But, regardless, the rest of it really isn't in dispute, is it? He, and numerous experts, have contradicted themselves numerous times. How can anyone know what to believe?

Again, I don't want to sound like a dude with a tin foil hat looking for black helicopters, but this has lacked common sense (IMO) from the beginning and asking me to trust the government in something that doesn't pass the sniff test on its own is something I have a hard time doing. You might say "the government would not lie about something this serious" and I'd point out the several times in history where they have.

IMO, protect those who are elderly and those who have immune system issues, etc. Let everyone else live their lives because this isn't going anywhere and another thing I don't believe is this "a vaccine is just around the corner" stuff.

One of the things that will make everyone question everything soon, is that we are going to have or are experiencing numbers that previously would have shut us down or kept us shut down. But, no one is going to do that to the public again. I don't care which side of the political aisle you are on in what state, they aren't going to do it again. So, if the numbers suggest shutting it down and they don't, then an argument can be made they shouldn't have shut it down the first time. If it's about public health and science, shouldn't we do the same thing if the same set of circumstances present themselves? If we don't, why not? Now, magically, the economic issues outweigh public health? Getting kids back to school outweighs public health? Why have we reversed course on that?

Now, I know why. At least I think I do. They've done a cost-benefit analysis and at this point are going to conclude that Math>Science, which is where I have been since March.

Last edited:
The line regarding COVID/CTE was a false equivalency and I shouldn't have gone there.

But, Dr. Fauci lied and I think he even admitted it using those words (regarding the wearing of masks). But, regardless, the rest of it really isn't in dispute, is it? He, and numerous experts, have contradicted themselves numerous times. How can anyone know what to believe?

Again, I don't want to sound like a dude with a tin foil hat looking for black helicopters, but this has lacked common sense (IMO) from the beginning and asking me to trust the government is something that doesn't pass the sniff test on its own is something I have a hard time doing. You might say "the government would lie about something this serious" and I'd point out the several times in history where they have.

IMO, protect those who are elderly and those who have immune system issues, etc. Let everyone else live their lives because this isn't going anywhere and another thing I don't believe is this "a vaccine is just around the corner" stuff.

One of the things that will make everyone question everything soon, is that we are going to have or are experiencing numbers that previously would have shut us down or kept us shut down. But, no one is going to do that to the public again. I don't care which side of the political aisle you are on in what state, they aren't going to do it again. So, if the numbers suggest shutting it down and they don't, then an argument can be made they shouldn't have shut it down the first time. If it's about public health and science, shouldn't we do the same thing if the same set of circumstances present themselves? If we don't, why not? Now, magically, the economic issues outweigh public health? Getting kids back to school outweighs public health? Why have we reversed course on that?

Now, I know why. At least I think I do. They've done a cost-benefit analysis and at this point are going to conclude that Math>Science, which is where I have been since March.
MMQB

I would agree with the sentiments being shared, I highly doubt that college football is played this season...can you imagine the simple daily interactions on UT's campus for students, let alone students AND athlete's. I think that the big question going forward is, how do colleges handle Senior's and incoming Freshman? Do you give Senior's another year of eligibility while also allowing for incoming Freshman scholarships? Would you then expand the team to 150 players? Furthermore, would there be enough money in the budget to cover say 115 scholarships? Definitely a lot of issues heading college football's way.

VN Store

Back