Florida and Ky

No. You leave yourself a timeout if you hold them with expectation of them being up 2 with around a minute left and you have a timeout. At the end of the day, it’s better to have that one timeout in your back pocket ifnyou stop them on 3rd and force a fG with a minute left of them picking up a first down and running the clock down to 3 seconds for a last second game winner.

Mullen played it right. You’re not gonna spend all three timeouts when you go down 2 with a minute left and a backup qB

Another reason for calling timeout on first and second down is that it's possible that the opponent will throw an incomplete pass or get knocked out of bounds on 3rd down, and then you essentially get the benefit of three timeouts for the price of two.
Choosing to save a timeout for your offense instead of preserving 40 seconds is a matter of preference. There isn't a 'wrong' answer.
The reason I replied in the first place is that you originally argued very strongly in favor of not calling timeout on first down just to preserve one to ice the kicker on a possible last-second FG.
Mullen's strategy was a matter of preference. My view is that you can run several plays in 40 seconds. Alternatively, it helps to have a timeout in your pocket if your QB gets confused or there is a penalty that would mean a 10-second runoff at the worst time.

Was on the road and didnt see a min of the game. Did catch a lot of it on the radio.

It sounded like UK control the game. UF struggled to run. Franks was not having a good night and it turning tragically worse for him. Hope he heals quickly.

Trask steps in, gives UF a big spark. Defense made enough stops in the 4th. UKs kicker clinched up and UF steals one.

Well, I came into the season with high expectations, mostly from returning nearly all the same players that finished 10-3 last year with a major bowl win. But I prefaced about nearly every prediction with “if we stay healthy” and “if the O-line develops.” Well, we ain’t healthy. CJ Henderson, Kadarius Toney, Amari Burney all out for Kentucky and now Zuniga apparently nursing an ankle today too.. Those aren’t just dudes, those are the best dudes. Additionally, the oline is not playing well. Strangely, pass protection is very good, but run blocking is awful. This combined means UF will be in real trouble v LSU, Georgia, Auburn and games to UT, SC, Missouri may also dissolve into dogfights like Miami and Kentucky.

But I’ll add this. I’m am profoundly pleased with Dan Mullen. He’s now 13-3 at UF with a really good shot to improve to 15-3 before hitting auburn, and he has shown a knack for winning all types of games. When he gets a roster full of horses, UF will contend for titles again.

Also, I feel we just saw the last game of Feleipe Franks’ career. God Bless him. Star-crossed, talented, misunderstood, limited but always a competitor and always a good guy off the field. I hope and pray he heals well and gets a shot on some NFL team down the road.

Mostly agree with you. Surprised to see Zuniga a non factor. Ky seemed to run whenever they wanted most of the game. You really missed Jefferson, Toney. But you did what you needed to win on the road. Props to you. Hated to see Frank's go out like he did, wish him the best. I can see your team winning 9 regular season, 10 if you beat one of AU, LSU, or UGA. Your o line will need to develop in a hurry though. You cant keep losing QBs. Not a Mullen guy, but agree he's got the gators chompin again. Looking forward to the cocktail party. Have us losing one, just not to you. UGA -LSU in December.

Mostly agree with you. Surprised to see Zuniga a non factor. Ky seemed to run whenever they wanted most of the game. You really missed Jefferson, Toney. But you did what you needed to win on the road. Props to you. Hated to see Frank's go out like he did, wish him the best. I can see your team winning 9 regular season, 10 if you beat one of AU, LSU, or UGA. Your o line will need to develop in a hurry though. You cant keep losing QBs. Not a Mullen guy, but agree he's got the gators chompin again. Looking forward to the cocktail party. Have us losing one, just not to you. UGA -LSU in December.

Solid post, appreciate the Franks comments. Zuniga turned an ankle, played sparingly after that and was limping on the few snaps he did take. It’s a totally different defensive front without him.

See y’all in a few weeks.

Was on the road and didnt see a min of the game. Did catch a lot of it on the radio.

It sounded like UK control the game. UF struggled to run. Franks was not having a good night and it turning tragically worse for him. Hope he heals quickly.

Trask steps in, gives UF a big spark. Defense made enough stops in the 4th. UKs kicker clinched up and UF steals one.

ESPN reporting Franks is out for the season.

Solid post, appreciate the Franks comments. Zuniga turned an ankle, played sparingly after that and was limping on the few snaps he did take. It’s a totally different defensive front without him.

See y’all in a few weeks.

Mullin isn’t Winning any championships.
He will find a way to lose a game or 2 every year that he shouldn’t. That in addition to being out losered by Ky Tn and Miami

Mullin isn’t Winning any championships.
He will find a way to lose a game or 2 every year that he shouldn’t. That in addition to being out losered by Ky Tn and Miami

Well, he’s 13-3 at Florida with a very good opportunity to start at least 15-3, and for most of those 15 wins you’ve been here to tell us how bad he sucks. He sucks when he beats an LSU or blows out a Michigan, he sucks when he wins ugly, he sucks when he wins going away, etc.

We’ve got enough of a picture to see that he’s a winner. And the roster you see now isn’t close to the roster he will build at his best. Another opportunity is upon your team to show how great Pruitt is and how exposable Mullen is.

Another reason for calling timeout on first and second down is that it's possible that the opponent will throw an incomplete pass or get knocked out of bounds on 3rd down, and then you essentially get the benefit of three timeouts for the price of two.
Choosing to save a timeout for your offense instead of preserving 40 seconds is a matter of preference. There isn't a 'wrong' answer.
The reason I replied in the first place is that you originally argued very strongly in favor of not calling timeout on first down just to preserve one to ice the kicker on a possible last-second FG.
Mullen's strategy was a matter of preference. My view is that you can run several plays in 40 seconds. Alternatively, it helps to have a timeout in your pocket if your QB gets confused or there is a penalty that would mean a 10-second runoff at the worst time.

Kentucky wasn't throwing the ball there. They were running up the middle.

Well, he’s 13-3 at Florida with a very good opportunity to start at least 15-3, and for most of those 15 wins you’ve been here to tell us how bad he sucks. He sucks when he beats an LSU or blows out a Michigan, he sucks when he wins ugly, he sucks when he wins going away, etc.

We’ve got enough of a picture to see that he’s a winner. And the roster you see now isn’t close to the roster he will build at his best. Another opportunity is upon your team to show how great Pruitt is and how exposable Mullen is.

Ya
You got the wrong guy.
I think Tennessee will not win a championship in my lifetime as I’ve said over and over.
I am jealous of Florida and their desire to win at the university level. I don’t see that from my university....as I’ve said over and over.
I don’t think CJP is great. I don’t think he’s the answer and neither will the next guy be any sort of answer as we suck at hiring. As I’ve said over and over.
I don’t think Mullin will Love up to the standard of your university.
He’s got an established history of not having his teams ready and losing games he should not. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that will change.
I’m glad you’re happy with him. We will see how long that holds up.

Kentucky didn't look like a team that's taking a huge step back this season. Will be interesting to see how Florida responds going forward without Franks. So far so good but that's a tough schedule. I say we give them hell in the Swamp this weekend.

Kentucky wasn't throwing the ball there. They were running up the middle.

After first down, you don't know how many yards will be gained on second down or what plays the opponent will call. Last night ( I think it was the Iowa-ISU game), a player on a team that was trying to run the clock was driven out of bounds on third down.

As I said, the choice between preserving 40 seconds and preserving a timeout is a matter of preference.
This whole back and forth started because you pushed for not calling a timeout after first down so you'd have one left in case you needed to ice the kicker at the last second, as if you couldn't call timeout after first and second down and then see how third down plays out before deciding what to do with the last timeout.

Kentucky didn't look like a team that's taking a huge step back this season. Will be interesting to see how Florida responds going forward without Franks. So far so good but that's a tough schedule. I say we give them hell in the Swamp this weekend.
If it's a typical Kentucky team, they will lose badly at Mississippi State next Saturday but still save their worst performance of the season for Tennessee. Last night's game definitely fit the mold of being "typical Kentucky".

Reactions: Plecoptera

VN Store

Back