'20 FL WR Malachi Wideman (Tennessee signee)

I don't mean to be negative toward anyone's "true 4.3" times, but according to various reports we have:
Hyatt 4.31
VJJ 4.33
Holiday 4.38
I think there is 1 more in the 4.3 range

If we really have 3 or 4 guys with on-field 4.3 speed, then we should have an NFL level speed WR corps.

Color me skeptical of all these times and how they translate to the field. I've heard similar things before as well - Byrd, Chandler, etc without much real-world return.

Meanwhile, JJ and Callaway were out there with 4.6 or whatever times murdering people. There is a lot more to football than track times.
11 players ran under a 4.4 at the NFL combine this year for all position groups. I think it's good information to determine if you think that we actually have four players that run under a 4.4 on our roster.

11 players ran under a 4.4 at the NFL combine this year for all position groups. I think it's good information to determine if you think that we actually have four players that run under a 4.4 on our roster.
Yup. I'd say 1...2 at the very tops.

Sometimes I fell like the times at The Opening are just a little too good to be true as well. Maybe they calibrate the clock just a hair faster than normal....crazier things have happened.

And its not a bad strategy to ensure youre gonna get the top talent at camps. If I was a 4.45 guy and I could go clock a laser 4.39 and move up 100 spots, why not?
Yep. These guys we got are clearly very fast but 40 times can be questionable

It’s common knowledge that 40 times peak in high school and decline sharply throughout college. It’s science.

It’s common knowledge that 40 times peak in high school and decline sharply throughout college. It’s science.
Maybe for Joe Schmoe, but I doubt elite athletes get slower in their early 20's.

If thats the case, why are almost all olympic level sprinters in their mid to late 20's?

Reactions: Golf freak

Yep. We would have the fastest group of receiver in the nation if that were true.

247 recruiting podcast covered the 40 time thing. They said that with high schoolers it should be taken with a grain of salt because most of these guys don’t have technique down and they’re going to get better in a college S&C program.

They said it was better to look at vertical jump. Better indication of “explosiveness” and that if a HS athlete has a really good vert. It usually translates to a much better 40 time later on based on historical numbers

247 recruiting podcast covered the 40 time thing. They said that with high schoolers it should be taken with a grain of salt because most of these guys don’t have technique down and they’re going to get better in a college S&C program.

They said it was better to look at vertical jump. Better indication of “explosiveness” and that if a HS athlete has a really good vert. It usually translates to a much better 40 time later on based on historical numbers
They have to know their 40 numbers are inflated but it's better for business to tell fans that every wide receiver they signed run in the 4.4s

Reactions: scvolfan7
They have to know their 40 numbers are inflated but it's better for business to tell fans that every wide receiver they signed run in the 4.4s
And it's not even that UT is throwing out fake figures...just the best ones available. Hard to blame any party here...but most know the game that is being played.

Gatlin is a lot closer to 40 than he is 30, iIrc

Edit: yep, 38, amazing, I think he won his Olympic Gold in the 100, in 2004

I don't mean to be negative toward anyone's "true 4.3" times, but according to various reports we have:
Hyatt 4.31
VJJ 4.33
Holiday 4.38
I think there is 1 more in the 4.3 range

If we really have 3 or 4 guys with on-field 4.3 speed, then we should have an NFL level speed WR corps.

Color me skeptical of all these times and how they translate to the field. I've heard similar things before as well - Byrd, Chandler, etc without much real-world return.

Meanwhile, JJ and Callaway were out there with 4.6 or whatever times murdering people. There is a lot more to football than track times.

Not many NFL teams have a WR corps loaded with 4.3 or 4.4 guys.

Kansas City Chiefs is about it.

NFL is about consistency combined with talent and grasping firmly the football concepts of the particular team.
Plenty of track stars that played football that couldn't sniff the League.

Last edited:
If I had to use my best guess I’d say
Jalin Hyatt 4.3
Holiday high 4.3’s/4.4
Calloway 4.4-4.45
Velus Jones 4.4

Either way you look at it, that’s a lot of speed that our WR corp hasn’t had in a while.

If this crew were timed at the NFL Combine.
I believe it would something like this

Hyatt 4.35
Jones 4.41
Holiday 4.47
Calloway 4.51

Hyatt's first 10 would not be as good as Jones. But the last 30 he would catch him and beat him by half a step.
It's fun to think about.

Not many NFL teams have a WR corps loaded with 4.3 or 4.4 guys.

Kansas City Chiefs is about it.

NFL is about consistency combined with talent and grasping firmly the football concepts of the particular team.
Plenty of track stars that played football that couldn't sniff the League.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Speed is great but it isn't the only indicator. Technique, instinct, work ethic are a few others not measured in speed.

Reactions: LittleVol
If this crew were timed at the NFL Combine.
I believe it would something like this

Hyatt 4.35
Jones 4.41
Holiday 4.47
Calloway 4.51

Hyatt's first 10 would not be as good as Jones. But the last 30 he would catch him and beat him by half a step.
It's fun to think about.

Random and off topic, but I have a feeling Calloway will be the best/most productive WR from this incoming class.

Reactions: LittleVol
Random and off topic, but I have a feeling Calloway will be the best/most productive WR from this incoming class.

Love Calloway.
I'm glad we have him. But I think he gets the Pruitt Syndrome when he gets here. Switched to CB

VN Store

Back