'18 FL QB Joe Milton (Tennessee commit)

Is this kid definitely coming here? If so, that can't be good for our current QBs. HB must be really bad. Or he'll transfer somewhere and ball out. I know which one our luck says will probably happen. Oh well.

Not understanding the Milton hate here - looking at a guy who hasn't had the chance to start much in his career, actually barely played is maybe more accurate (4 games in 2019 (backup), 4 games in 2020 (backup), 6 games in 2021 (I think only 3 starts)). He's a guy we recruited out of high school, was a solid four star kid, and was surpassed on the Meatchicken depth chart and is looking for a landing spot. I'm not seeing anything that makes me doubt Coach Hype's evaluation of him, plus he's from Orlando, maybe there's a familiarity with the player or at least his game already.

Fact of the matter is that we're not in a position to evaluate how anyone on the current roster fits into this new coaching scheme. If Coach Hype is sold on Milton's skills and how those relate to his offense and what he's trying to do then he's the best person to decide that, and ultimately the one who has to live with the consequences. So, with all that said. Welcome Joe Milton to the Big Orange!

I think the concern is why he hasn't had a chance to play much in his career. It's not as though Michigan had great QB play ahead of him.

I don't know whose numbers you are comparing him too (I guess Hooker's since he actually has numbers), but watching him play it is hard not to come away with that assessment.

LMAO

Bailey has half the yards that Milton does playing only 6 games.
Bailey has 4 tds to Joe Milton's astronomical 5 TD's in 3 seasons at Michigan.
Bailey has 70% completion, to Joe Milton's 56%
8.5 to Milton's 7.9 avg.

Want me to keep going?

Also, I don't like that it feels as if we're ignoring glaring holes on the defense. I get it. Heup's an offensive coach which means that side naturally gets his attention, but IMO, the biggest roster holes are on the defense and we're not addressing them. Huge concern IMO.

Reactions: Orange Studs
Michigan runs an archaic offense like Pruitt did. No QB will look good under it

Heupel, the OC, and QB coach know what we need and what we have. Hooker doesn’t throw downfield (seems like JG) and Maurer is good for 2 INTs every scrimmage. Bailey isn’t wowing them, and Salter hasn’t suited up.

Seems wide open to me. But I know this offense can’t succeed with a below average QB. Even average QB play gets us to 30 points a game.

Milton isnt any better or worse than who we have. We’re playing 5 card draw and we’ve got no pair and no draw at this time. They want more options.

Also, I don't like that it feels as if we're ignoring glaring holes on the defense. I get it. Heup's an offensive coach which means that side naturally gets his attention, but IMO, the biggest roster holes are on the defense and we're not addressing them. Huge concern IMO.
I get the feeling that they are waiting for after the Spring and new names to pop into the Portal.

Nothing says we are done with transfers, also the players in the portal will increase after spring practices.

This guy isn’t good.
loading up on more dead weight in the QB room... 🤐

Our options are limited. The coaches are trying to find someone that’ll move the ball. Clearly we have no one on roster competent in that regard. Last season reflected this, as well.

Also every qb on the roster besides Milton is Pruitt’s .....that should let you know what an talent evaluator he was.

So, has this guy been enrolled since January or is he set to start classes this summer? Seems weird for him to just now show up in the student directory.

Doesn’t move needle for me but I only watched him play once and he had a few WTF throws. At same time Gattis ain’t a offensive guru and Harbaugh has been meh with QBs at Michigan for some reason as he seems conflicted on what he wants to run.

I think this is more of a future depth move with a kid that staff may see long term potential in and know that once a starter is named you could lose two guys in the current room and doesn’t help your freshman got in trouble one month on campus

I think the concern is why he hasn't had a chance to play much in his career. It's not as though Michigan had great QB play ahead of him.

So, Shea Patterson transferring into Michigan the same year he was their QB in the recruiting cycle lead to the first two years of not seeing the field much (4 games each year) and the Little 10 only played a 6 game season in 2020 which was a weird year for everyone, where Cade McNamara challenged him for playing time late in the year. I'm not crowing Milton the answer at QB, just pointing out that the knee jerk reaction to JG is not quite accurate. JG was given opportunity after opportunity to succeed (or not based on @HankHill breakdown of the fact that the OC was asking him to do things outside of his skill set), this guy has been sitting waiting his turn behind a veteran transfer and didn't look horrible in game action last season.

I think he'll be the guy based on the tenor of the discussion surrounding the other QB's on the roster, and Coach Hype's not being impressed with them. I also think HB and BM may be transfer portal bound with this latest course of action. I'd say Milton/Hooker/Salter is your QB room come fall. JMO.

I get the feeling that they are waiting for after the Spring and new names to pop into the Portal.
I’m positive this won’t be the last transfer. But it’s important to know if some of the position switches pan out. We might need 4 more LB, or maybe just 2.

VN Store

Back