FL LB DeMario Tolan (LSU commit)

Tennessee state law prohibits anyone from the university or athletic department from causing a player to receive NIL compensation.

What exactly do you expect DW to do?
He could have done legal stuff with boosters. Same stuff he's doing now. The rules prohibit them arranging deals with student athletes (even though that's going on at every major program). It doesn't prevent the AD from getting companies and boosters to commit to offering deals to potential students athletes or current student athletes.

Not all of our competitors have the same legal standard.

And how exactly do you work around that? No university employee can take any action that would cause a player to receive NIL compensation.

We’ve always gotten outplayed by the likes of Auburn when it comes to things like this, and even though the the NIL offers more latitude, we are still playing scared. And if the legal standard in TN is hamstringing the program this badly, then the folks in Nashville don’t have nearly enough pressure on them over this issue.

Hot take…Tennessee doesn’t HAVE to have a top ranked defense. Be solid, make some more stops, get some turnovers and count the W’s. Being solid means getting some talent and teaching them the system.

Tolan won’t make or break Tennessee.
I dunno Moran, I'm finna struggle sleeping tonite.

He could have done legal stuff with boosters. Same stuff he's doing now. The rules prohibit them arranging deals with student athletes (even though that's going on at every major program). It doesn't prevent the AD from getting companies and boosters to commit to offering deals to potential students athletes or current student athletes.

Your last sentence is incorrect. The law reads broadly:

“including actions that compensate or cause compensation to be provided to student-athletes.

Be mad at Bill Lee.

I’m so tired of people acting like that’s a major issue with recruits. I’ve heard maybe 2 players this cycle mention it.

Because it is a major issue whether you want to believe it or not. You do realize that the NCAA can decide to act whenever they want right? It’s still being used against us to negatively recruit. But yeah because you have only heard 2 players mention it, that obvious means it’s no big deal 🙄

Reactions: VolNash17
Your last sentence is incorrect. The law reads broadly:

“including actions that compensate or cause compensation to be provided to student-athletes.

Be mad at Bill Lee.
Lulz. It's not illegal to prepare boosters for what's coming. They're doing it now. They can't negotiate individual deals for student athletes but they absolutely can and they are encouraging boosters and companies to get involved in NIL.

My point is that there are a lot of things that could explain defensive recruiting struggles, but I guarantee you that uptempo offense plays little - if any - role in it.

I doubt your guarantee has much value. I'll stick with my viewpoint and will do so while hoping to see the defensive recruiting improve.

Just wrapped up a convo with Tolan. He did enjoy what LSU showed him but the Vols have certainly made an impression here too. This one is neck and neck heading to the finish line.
What who showed him? All 3 coaches they have on staff?
Don’t know what the draw is that has him undecided, but there seems to be more questions than answers at LSU now?
UT , all is pretty well known what’s gonna be here.
So logically, he’s probably gonna pick LSU! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hot take…Tennessee doesn’t HAVE to have a top ranked defense. Be solid, make some more stops, get some turnovers and count the W’s. Being solid means getting some talent and teaching them the system.

Tolan won’t make or break Tennessee.
That’s a terrible take. We need an elite defense if we want to win championships. Offenses aren’t getting weaker in this age of football and we play warp speed. More possessions for us equals wins. We need a top ranked defense.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
That’s a terrible take. We need an elite defense if we want to win championships. Offenses aren’t getting weaker in this age of football and we play warp speed. More possessions for us equals wins. We need a top ranked defense.

Win championships?? Good grief. We aren’t even close to winning any kind of championships. You don’t recruit and build an elite defense with what we have produced on the field.

Yep lease explain how we get a top ranked defense.

Reactions: RiseToTheTop

VN Store

Back