'20 FL DE Morven Joseph (UT SIGNEE)

We aren’t gaining ground on the SEC with our current recruiting, that is no exaggeration
Unless HB turns out to be Elite and carry us (which is possible) classes like this one don't move the needle. Its a mediocre middle of the pack SEC class alongside South Carolina, Kentucky, and Mississippi State while UGA, Florida, Auburn, Texas AM, and LSU get further ahead and harder to beat on the field.

2020 HAS to be better.

Unless HB turns out to be Elite and carry us (which is possible) classes like this one don't move the needle. Its a mediocre middle of the pack SEC class alongside South Carolina, Kentucky, and Mississippi State while UGA, Florida, Auburn, Texas AM, and LSU get further ahead and harder to beat on the field.

2020 HAS to be better.

I take it from this you believe coaching has no bearing on how good a team is? It’s really only about the number of points 247 gives you for your class?

2020 HAS to be better.
I agree on this point, you hit on a NFL QB, your team can change almost instantly

I take it from this you believe coaching has no bearing on how good a team is? It’s really only about the number of points 247 gives you for your class?

There's absolutely a coaching element involved but to be at the top you have to have both talent and coaching.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
If UT doesn't get the Joseph kid, I'd expect them to pursue the OLB prospect from Louisiana.

The one thing about right now is that it seems like there are contingency plans in place if a prospect ends up choosing another school. I don't know if that were the case without them being significant reaches the first couple of years with Pruitt as head coach.

Reactions: LittleVol
There's absolutely a coaching element involved but to be at the top you have to have both talent and coaching.

We have talent coming in.... Pruitt recruits like he was at the combine.... he recruits based off measurables and temperament.... he turns them into football players..... we will be fine.

Last edited:
Norvell is a great recruiter. He never pulled in ridiculous classes because, well... it’s memphis. He will recruit well with a brand like FSU.
Norvell is not a great recruiter until he proves it. James Franklin was a great recruiter for Vandy and, well... it's Vandy. Dis Memphis all you want—they beat us today.

Norvell did very well at Memphis but he never pulled in any really good recruiting classes—nowhere even close to one of our classes. He is fortunate to be at FSU where Florida recruits kinda fall in your lap. If Joseph thinks about this decision and what he'll learn playing in a Pruitt defense... VOL!

We have ELEVEN 4-star commits on Rivals right now. Add Baron and that's TWELVE 4-star guys. I think Pruitt and staff can work with that. And it still leaves five more slots to fill. We will be fine.
mullen did well in the portal last year but the downside is you don't get 3-4 years out of a player. If not an immediate impact you've basically wasted a scholly. best to save room for two transfers,imo.

Got coupled up with Brady this year the OC from the Saints. LSU's entire offense improved. Pruitt has stated the game is changing. He's hoping to set up a different angle with the addition of J.Holiday. Nothing matters if you don't get the players because coaches become forced to adjust their schemes to the available players on the roster. In adding Holiday, a true dual-threat, it opens up the offense causing a mulitude of problems for any defense. No doubt a page outta Saban's philosophy even though both are defensive coaches.

2020 HAS to be better.

I liked it because I agree, no because I like it. He’s right, you know. This class certainly looks destined for mediocrity. I don’t necessarily think that’s an indictment on the coaching staff as recruiters though; this is what happens when you come out and $&!¡7 the bed vs. Ga St. and BYU, then get curb stomped by Florida. Early signing day has accelerated recruiting, and that rough start is when a lot of the guys we may have had a chance with checked out on us. It has likely cost us Hardy and maybe 3 or 4 others, it certainly caused Lawrence and Baron to take a wait and see approach, given that they ultimately sign with us.

I think had Pruitt been here when Dooley first started, or even Jones, he would have been able to sell the future a bit more. However, them dudes burned through all the equity the program had built up, and now it’s put up or shut up time as far as recruiting is concerned.

All that said, I would take a top 15-20 Pruitt class over a top 10 Jones class any day of the week from what I’ve seen so far. But he is going to have to find a way to win with what we’ve got before we’re gonna be able to get over the hump in recruiting.

VN Store

Back