Five-star SG Anfernee Simons visiting this weekend

No ****. Austin-East played, I think, Fulton in the early 70s at Stokely. A riot broke out... folding chairs were thrown, people beat and bloodied all to hell, glass was broken out in the trophy displays in the concourse... made the A-E v. Brainard dust up last weekend look like a kindergarten kerfluffle. Can not find a thing about it on the internet. A-E was permanently banned by UT from ever playing on campus again.

Holy ****! I bet that would have been something to see

Yes, it was against UK at TBA. I mentioned it a couple pages back. It really tainted his career. People already questioned his heart and desire to be great, and on a night against our biggest rival, he sat out with an ankle "injury" allegedly hurting so bad he could barely walk on it, he took off on a dead sprint to fight with UK players in front of their bench.

Lost a lot of respect for him that night. Was a microcosm of the discipline and heart of that entire Jerry Green coached team.

This. I will say this until blue in the face: the Jerry Green team that blew an 8 point lead with 3 minutes left to UNC in the Sweet 16 could have won it all. (was it '98-'99?) The most talented team UT has ever had (and that includes any of the Pearl teams as well as the Ernie and Bernie show), just absolutely loaded and deep at every position.

Tony Harris could have been a poor man's Iverson with the right coaching. Still to this day the quickest guy with the ball I've seen wearing orange. Unfortunately, he never saw a shot he didn't like.

No ****. Austin-East played, I think, Fulton in the early 70s at Stokely. A riot broke out... folding chairs were thrown, people beat and bloodied all to hell, glass was broken out in the trophy displays in the concourse... made the A-E v. Brainard dust up last weekend look like a kindergarten kerfluffle. Can not find a thing about it on the internet. A-E was permanently banned by UT from ever playing on campus again.

I'm surprised there aren't more brawls in high school games. Poor officiating with parents and fans so close to the action is a recipe for a good fight.

Went and watched Fulton take on Bearden tonight, #1 team in the state I believe, and it was an electric atmosphere. Saw an alley-oop dunk on a baseline out of bounds play, several technical fouls for kids smack talking, and one parent dog-cuss Fulton's coach most of the 4th Q because coach was in his kid's face during a time-out.

Not bad for Wednesday night basketball!

Reactions: 2 people
I caught up with draft-eligible combo guard Anfernee Simons after watching him explode for 36 points (seven made 3-pointers) last night against Victory Rock Prep in Florida. As he has previously stated, Simons plans to test the NBA draft waters in hopes of earning an invite to the pre-draft combine and eventually landing a 1st round guarantee. If the smooth 6-3 guard doesn't like the feedback he's getting from NBA teams, he plans to withdraw from the draft and play in the NCAA next season. Both NC State and the Indiana Pacers attended IMG's game last night in Sarasota, and all 30 NBA teams are expected to evaluate Simons by the end of the season. Simons is currently number 23 on our Top 100 draft-eligible prospect rankings. He's an effortless scorer who can get going from the perimeter both off the catch and the bounce. The 18-year-old Florida native is a quick-twitch athlete and shifty ball handler who can finish above the rim in space, play pick and roll, and facilitate in the open court. Simons is still developing into a full-time lead guard, which is likely the key to unlocking his long-term potential. Scouts want to see Simons up his defensive intensity and limit his turnovers, two of the biggest factors in determining how soon he'll be able to contribute at the NBA level.
Sure sounds like he's going to go the NBA route. Also mentions about 5 schools around the 1:25 mark of the video with no mention of Tennessee.
Edit: Sorry for the insanely long link. Can't get it to work any other way.

Last edited:
I caught up with draft-eligible combo guard Anfernee Simons after watching him explode for 36 points (seven made 3-pointers) last night against Victory Rock Prep in Florida. As he has previously stated, Simons plans to test the NBA draft waters in hopes of earning an invite to the pre-draft combine and eventually landing a 1st round guarantee. If the smooth 6-3 guard doesn't like the feedback he's getting from NBA teams, he plans to withdraw from the draft and play in the NCAA next season. Both NC State and the Indiana Pacers attended IMG's game last night in Sarasota, and all 30 NBA teams are expected to evaluate Simons by the end of the season. Simons is currently number 23 on our Top 100 draft-eligible prospect rankings. He's an effortless scorer who can get going from the perimeter both off the catch and the bounce. The 18-year-old Florida native is a quick-twitch athlete and shifty ball handler who can finish above the rim in space, play pick and roll, and facilitate in the open court. Simons is still developing into a full-time lead guard, which is likely the key to unlocking his long-term potential. Scouts want to see Simons up his defensive intensity and limit his turnovers, two of the biggest factors in determining how soon he'll be able to contribute at the NBA level.
Sure sounds like he's going to go the NBA route. Also mentions about 5 schools around the 1:25 mark of the video with no mention of Tennessee.
Nothing new really, just mentioning what was recent.

Go get Tyler Harris!

If all he is looking for is a 1st rd guarantee, it may be time for us to move on. I figured he'd want to go in the lottery pick area, or go to school for a year and prove he belongs there.

Sounds like he's mentioning schools that were in to watch him.

Everything about this kids is saying that he is gonna go pro. I think he believes he's a first round pick and he's planning on going pro until he's convinced he's not.

If all he is looking for is a 1st rd guarantee, it may be time for us to move on. I figured he'd want to go in the lottery pick area, or go to school for a year and prove he belongs there.

VQ also starting to sing that tune, mentioning that millions guaranteed to play for a winning team towards the bottom of the draft that could afford the time to develop him and not force him out there could be enough to lure him.

Turn things up on Harris and Moore and if Simons back out of the NBA Draft come May/June and you’ve got a spot then great, if not oh well.

Reactions: 1 person
VQ also starting to sing that tune, mentioning that millions guaranteed to play for a winning team towards the bottom of the draft that could afford the time to develop him and not force him out there could be enough to lure him.

Turn things up on Harris and Moore and if Simons back out of the NBA Draft come May/June and you’ve got a spot then great, if not oh well.

I've always thought the general consensus is to go if the 1st round is a sure thing. In his case, which is a little unusual, does he have the potential to springboard up the draft lists after a year?

I've always thought the general consensus is to go if the 1st round is a sure thing. In his case, which is a little unusual, does he have the potential to springboard up the draft lists after a year?

Yes...scouts biggest complaints is they want him to get stronger and show another level on the defensive end, 2 things the college game could help with. If he does those 2 things many think he’s a Top 10-15 pick, but right now he’s probably late 1st round.

Yes...scouts biggest complaints is they want him to get stronger and show another level on the defensive end, 2 things the college game could help with. If he does those 2 things many think he’s a Top 10-15 pick, but right now he’s probably late 1st round.

That has been my stance all along. His two biggest weaknesses are the two things a year in a college program can most easily address. He could go from pick 22-28 to pick 10-15.

But, if all he's looking for is a 1st rd guarantee, I don't think we can afford to hope that doesn't happen. 1. He could take all the way thru pre-draft camps and evals to determine that. 2. Even still, I think it's almost a certainty that he'll go in the latter third of the first round.

I would have thought that he'd want to be a lottery pick, but it doesn't sound like it.

I think he goes to school ultimately. You only get that chance once (well, technically four times)

Its possible you only get one chance to be drafted in the 1st rd of the NBA Draft.

True.It’s no guarantee he gets drafted that high though. The smart thing would be go , get a year of education, and fine tune some things, and show how you compete against of the best competition the world has to offer. (and party/girls). I mean realistically, if you’re an nba gm, would you draft a high school senior, or college senior/junior/sophomore or even freshman?

True.It’s no guarantee he gets drafted that high though. The smart thing would be go , get a year of education, and fine tune some things, and show how you compete against of the best competition the world has to offer. (and party/girls). I mean realistically, if you’re an nba gm, would you draft a high school senior, or college senior/junior/sophomore or even freshman?

If I think a kid can play, I don't care how old he is, but you control their development the younger they are when you get them. NBA GMs will argue that Simons could grow as much, or more by playing against pros everyday in practice with no limitations on time.

From Simons's perspective, I agree there are many advantages to going to school for a year.

He should go to the NBA. If he can grab $10-20 million why take a risk of getting injured and lose all but a million or two from an insurance policy? If he can play, he'll catch up on missed lottery pick money with his 2nd contract.

I'd like to see him at TN, but if he's my kid I'd want him to take the cash.

He should go to the NBA. If he can grab $10-20 million why take a risk of getting injured and lose all but a million or two from an insurance policy? If he can play, he'll catch up on missed lottery pick money with his 2nd contract.

Good year of college could improve his draft stock.

It’s his choice but he needs to get stronger and develop somewhat of a defensive consistency.

If I think a kid can play, I don't care how old he is, but you control their development the younger they are when you get them. NBA GMs will argue that Simons could grow as much, or more by playing against pros everyday in practice with no limitations on time.

From Simons's perspective, I agree there are many advantages to going to school for a year.

It would be a hard decision. one that I definitely wish I had to make lol

I don’t believe a rookie drafted in the latter third of the first round is getting $10-$20m a year.

Reactions: 3 people
I don’t believe a rookie drafted in the latter third of the first round is getting $10-$20m a year.

Picks 15-30 (second half of first round) make roughly two million down to one million in their first year with increased of 400k to 500k each year. rookie contracts in the first round are guaranteed 3 years with a 4th year team option (I am less certain about this part).

Either way, no rookie makes 10-20 a year (short of endorsements)

NBA Rookie Salary Scale - By Draft Year | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

So using the above link, let’s say he goes 25th this year...

Year 1: $1,263,500
Year 2: $1,499,700
Year 3: $1,742,500
3 year total: $4,505,700

If he goes 15th after a year of college...

Year 1: $1,971,300
Year 2: $2,339,900
Year 3: $2,734,100
3 year total: $7,045,300

VN Store

Back