Five-star SG Anfernee Simons visiting this weekend

1. I would bet no
2. Why would that matter? We have more than one scholarship in 2019 and Harris would be the highest rated signee in the Barnes era. Hard to take for granted we'd land anyone better than Harris rankings wise.

It would matter if darrington was thought of enough to hold down the fort his last year. That would then take away the risk of waiting and missing on Simons

It would matter if darrington was thought of enough to hold down the fort his last year. That would then take away the risk of waiting and missing on Simons

You are mixing up the questions.

Question 2 has nothing to do with Darrington.

You are mixing up the questions.

Question 2 has nothing to do with Darrington.

Sure it does.

It's not a risk waiting on Simons and potentially losing harris if darrington is the plan for Daniels minutes and you can get as good or better guard in 19.

In other words if there is immediate need then risking missing on Harris isn't wise imo

Simons wanting to wait till May/June to decide.

Putting all your eggs into one basket could backfire on us.

I think Harris could be a big contributor just as much as Simons.

Is it worth waiting on Simons while there’s other prospects out there? That’s all I’m saying.

If Simons is dead set on May/June then yes I go hard after Harris, if Simons is saying March/April then I think you have to wait on Simons.

Simons wanting to wait till May/June to decide.

Putting all your eggs into one basket could backfire on us.

I think Harris could be a big contributor just as much as Simons.

Is it worth waiting on Simons while there’s other prospects out there? That’s all I’m saying.

I think so. This team is built to make a really strong run next year. If Simons doesn’t work out, we’ll pull in a grad transfer that can help us.

Simons would have to wait and see who declares before he would know his draft status I would assume

That’s what I’m curious on...is that what he’s waiting for, or is he wanting to go through the workouts for a grade, or is he just wanting to go a few more weeks and see what the feedback is?

If his plan is go through all the workouts and see who declares then it’s going to be mid-June before he decides.

He was a bit of a punk. Would love to have seen him with Pearl, Barnes or even Zo.

Tony Harris with Bruce Pearl probably = Ramar Smith.

I agree, he probably thrives under a more discpline-minded coach like Zo or Barnes though. Tony needed limitations and discipline. Green didn't offer that, and it's not likely Pearl would have either.

If it looks like Simons will go to the draft , I’m putting all the marbles on Harris . The kid can fill it up from anywhere , he would make a good impact here his first season imo .

That's where we disagree. Of course, our staff has better insight into Simons and his plans than we do, but if there is a 50/50 shot at landing him, he's worth waiting for because he makes a really good team great next year, IMO. Harris doesn't.

The rub is, there is no obvious back-up plan. You can't wait until May/June and take Harris if Simons goes pro because Harris isn't likely going to wait that long.

Ideally, I wish we could take Harris now, and make room for Simons.

I just have this suspicion that if we pass on Simons to take Harris, and Simons spurns the NBA and goes to NCSU for a year, then the people banging the table for Harris will be bashing Barnes after the fact for "choosing" him over Simons. It's a risky proposition because Harris isn't a slam-dunk prospect himself, and his size is a real issue that he'll have to overcome, though not impossible. His offer list is not exactly elite, and the thought of him not panning out while we pass on Simons to take him will just fuel the Barnes haters for years. Hindsight is 20/20, but that won't quell the rioters.

You lost me.

Thought you were implying that Tony Harris would have been like Ramar Smith if Pearl had him.

Guess you're saying he couldn't keep Ramar in check so he wouldn't have kept Harris in check.

I think Harris would have done fine under Pearl. Tony never got into any trouble that I remember. He just didn't always look like he played smart/team basketball. Would have thrived under the fast paced style we played early on. Would have loved to have him in those years between Watson and Maze or after Maze left and into the Martin era where we never had a real point.

Thought you were implying that Tony Harris would have been like Ramar Smith if Pearl had him.

Guess you're saying he couldn't keep Ramar in check so he wouldn't have kept Harris in check.

I think Harris would have done fine under Pearl. Tony never got into any trouble that I remember. He just didn't always look like he played smart/team basketball. Would have thrived under the fast paced style we played early on. Would have loved to have him in those years between Watson and Maze or after Maze left and into the Martin era where we never had a real point.

I seem to remember two rumored/unpublicized incidents, one involving a gun on campus and another involving a domestic incident outside Gibbs Hall. Am I misremembering those things?

Can't find anything on the internet about either one, but again, as I remember, neither was publicized and the internet at the time was still in its infancy. Social media hadn't been invented yet. Easier to keep things under wraps then.

Tony wasn't a really good dude. He'd tell you that himself. He has turned his life around, fortunately. I just don't believe that Pearl was the kind of disciplinarian that Tony needed. On the court, I have little doubt that he would have succeeded under Pearl.

I seem to remember two rumored/unpublicized incidents, one involving a gun on campus and another involving a domestic incident outside Gibbs Hall. Am I misremembering those things?

Can't find anything on the internet about either one, but again, as I remember, neither was publicized and the internet at the time was still in its infancy. Social media hadn't been invented yet. Easier to keep things under wraps then.

Tony wasn't a really good dude. He'd tell you that himself. He has turned his life around, fortunately. I just don't believe that Pearl was the kind of disciplinarian that Tony needed. On the court, I have little doubt that he would have succeeded under Pearl.

I was too young. Don’t remember him being in trouble. Things were kept quiet then though.

Both instances I seem to remember as well. The gun incident was found in his dorm and the domestic dispute was between him and his girl. He had a horrible temper and had a hard time putting it under subjection.

Reactions: 1 person
Both instances I seem to remember as well. The gun incident was found in his dorm and the domestic dispute was between him and his girl. He had a horrible temper and had a hard time putting it under subjection.

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think I dreamed that up, but when you can't find anything about either one online, I started to question myself.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think I dreamed that up, but when you can't find anything about either one online, I started to question myself.

Lol. I know what you mean. It is hard to find out any info about stuff that happened then.

The biggest thing I remember about Harris was he sat out a game with a “hurt ankle” and sat on the bench. A small scuffle broke out and he bolted from the end of the bench and had to be restrained. He got ripped pretty good on sports talk radio for that. I want to say it was against UK at TBA.

The biggest thing I remember about Harris was he sat out a game with a “hurt ankle” and sat on the bench. A small scuffle broke out and he bolted from the end of the bench and had to be restrained. He got ripped pretty good on sports talk radio for that. I want to say it was against UK at TBA.

Yes, it was against UK at TBA. I mentioned it a couple pages back. It really tainted his career. People already questioned his heart and desire to be great, and on a night against our biggest rival, he sat out with an ankle "injury" allegedly hurting so bad he could barely walk on it, he took off on a dead sprint to fight with UK players in front of their bench.

Lost a lot of respect for him that night. Was a microcosm of the discipline and heart of that entire Jerry Green coached team.

Was going back and looking at some old stats on some players.

How awful was Buzz Peterson?

01-02 Roster
Senior Vincent Yarbrough
Junior Marcus Haislip
Junior John Higgins
Freshman Brandon Crump
Junior Ron Slay

How bad must you suck at coaching when you can't get those guys to the dance?

Slay was hurt I guess but still. Come on man. 15-16 overall with 7-9 conference record?

01-02 Roster
Senior Vincent Yarbrough
Junior Marcus Haislip
Junior John Higgins
Freshman Brandon Crump
Junior Ron Slay

Slay was hurt I guess but still. Come on man. 15-16 overall with 7-9 conference record?

Buzz was terrible; he should have made the NCAAT 3 of his 4 years with the talent he had.

01-02 Roster
Senior Vincent Yarbrough
Junior Marcus Haislip
Junior John Higgins
Freshman Brandon Crump
Junior Ron Slay

But he was Michael Jordan's roommate!

Lol. I know what you mean. It is hard to find out any info about stuff that happened then.

No ****. Austin-East played, I think, Fulton in the early 70s at Stokely. A riot broke out... folding chairs were thrown, people beat and bloodied all to hell, glass was broken out in the trophy displays in the concourse... made the A-E v. Brainard dust up last weekend look like a kindergarten kerfluffle. Can not find a thing about it on the internet. A-E was permanently banned by UT from ever playing on campus again.

VN Store

Back