First Vol game you remember and your age

1980 Alabama game. BAMA was #1. It never occurred to me to bandwagon. I knew the good guys wore orange. It was the game where ABC broadcast Charlie Daniels singing the real lyrics to Devil Went Down to Georgia at halftime in a monsoon.

My first game was the Vandy game in 1963 when I was 11. It was the last single wing team. I remember my dad and I standing around fires that folks were building underneath the west side upper deck because it was so cold.

My second game was the 1966 AL game in the rain when Snake Stabler beat us 11-10 after we were leading 10-0 at the half. Gary Wright allegedly missed the winning field goal in the last seconds.

Third game was SMU in 1970 when I was a freshman. So hot it was determined that there were no water fountains in the stadium, and they ran out of ice by halftime. Several cases of heat stroke that day which precipitated portable lights in 1972 for the Penn State game, and then the installation of permanent lights.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was the KY game in either 74 or 75. I was 6 or 7 depending on the year. I do know for sure we sat in WW though.

1st I “remember” was, unfortunately, 1975 Ole Miss game in Memphis. Bad loss!:mad:
I was 5.
Was at the ‘72 Ole Miss game.......but I was only 2

Ole Miss 1962. My dad took me to Neyland. We lost that day to an Ole Miss team that went undefeated. I was just thrilled to be there in the crowd and wave my UT pennant. I was minus twenty years old.

My first game was the Vandy game in 1963 when I was 11. It was the last single wing team. I remember my dad and I standing around fires that folks were building underneath the west side upper deck because it was so cold.

My second game was the 1966 AL game in the rain when Snake Stabler beat us 11-10 after we were leading 10-0 at the half. Gary Wright allegedly missed the winning field goal in the last seconds.

Third game was SMU in 1970 when I was a freshman. So hot it was determined that there were no water fountains in the stadium, and they ran out of ice by halftime. Several cases of heat stroke that day which precipitated portable lights in 1972 for the Penn State game, and then the installation of permanent lights.
I remember that Bama game. My first really heartbreaking loss as UT fan. I really thought we were gonna beat Bama till the end. The Dickey teams were special, and always competitive against the Bear.

1985 vs Wake Forest 31-29 W
I was 12, The air smelled like hot dogs, whiskey, and cigars.
Ahhh, yes. Neyland just wouldn't be the same without the smell of Jack Daniels. I was at that game too... I was 12 and sat in the end zone with two of my friends. It was the game after we had beaten Auburn badly and we had a bit of a letdown. Tony Robinson had made the cover of Sports Illustrated... and as Tennessee was leaving the field for halftime, Robinson gave me a high five as they were going in the tunnel. One of my biggest thrills at any UT game... lol.

Reactions: CPA
First game on the “Tartan Turf” field if my memory is correct. 17-17. Tied it right at the end.
my last game in neyland before i left for college...the next year I saw my first game in Athens, when a couple of us hitchi-hiked from nc to see acmajor piece of a championship season

especially sweet since i was with three dawg fans

Not sure of my age but I was little, we played Okie State and I remember getting my pic made with the Okie State mascot. Maybe 95ish so about 6

I remember going to a game against Duke when I was 4 or 5. First game I vividly remember was 92 Florida in the downpour. I was 7.

First one I truly remember was 85 Auburn @ 10yo. I know I went to many before that (sold cokes all season in 85) but that one really left an impression. The stadium was rocking, goal posts came down and I had about $40 soaked in Coke in my pocket. How did it get better for a kid that age?

That’s the first game I remember watching on TV (I was 4 at the time).

The first game I attended at Neyland was against Pacific in 1990. I was so excited to see Chuck Webb play, only for him to get hurt in the first quarter

Just following up on the 71 & 72 Penn State games....as I like to remind my neighbor, a PSU grad, the 71 game was the only Penn State loss the entire year, and the 72 game was the only Penn State regular season loss (they also lost to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl). We don't talk about the three bowl games!

VN Store

Back