First Vol game you remember and your age

1999 vs Wyoming. They had a write up in the Daily Beacon, that they were going to ride in on their horses and ride out on our women. That did not happen. VOLS 42-17.

1968 TN vs Dawgs on Sept. 14th. The game ended in a tie. I was heartbroken. I was 9 years old. I had never seen so many people wearing Orange.

2000 against Memphis in the Liberty Bowl. I was 9 years old.

I remember sitting in misery. It was a light and steady cold rain with a stiff wind and temps were in the lower 40s. Memphis gave us a scare but Alex Walls hit a FG with time expiring to give UT a 19-17 victory and avoiding another embarrassing upset loss to Memphis.

Freshman game vs Notre Dame in '71. I was 8 and giddy to be there with my dad.

Bob Davis was the Vol head freshman coach and his staff included Dewey Warren, Wayne Stiles, Clifton Stewart, Manley Mixon, James Woody, Tim Priest, Steve Robinson, Steve Wold and Frank Emanuel. You could line up and win with that bunch on the field.

The facts of the game are simple. Here’s what the Vol press guide had to say about the contest: “Tennessee toppled Notre Dame 30-13 to finish the season before the largest crowd (31,300) ever to witness a UT freshman game. The Vols blended an exciting passing attack with a potent ground game in marching to a 24-0 command through the first three quarters over the heralded Fighting Irish. The Vols moved 73 yards in five plays to score on their first attempt. Condredge Holloway hit Butch Thompson with a 46-yard pass to highlight the drive and then ran it in from 12 yards out for the TD.”

Here are some other highlights of the game after that first drive. Barefoot kicker Ricky Townsend knocked home a 29-yard field goal to give the Vols a 10-0 first quarter lead. John Sapp, a 6-2, 180-pound tailback from Rome, Ga., scored on runs of 1 and 8 yards, while Steve “Bit” Slack, a product of Knoxville’s Holston High School, had a 96-yard interception return for a score.

CONDREDGE HOLLOWAY

Reactions: Jacksonvol
I'm one of the really oldies here but I actually remember the 1951 Nat'l. Chsmpionship even though I was only 9 yrs. old...No tv in those days but I would listen to George Mooney do play by..He proceeded John Ward and. Was a great announcer...The Th licenses plaes for 1951 were changed to orange and white- only time ever not black and white...I have a great set now (cars had to have 2). They look as if they were made yesterday...After the 98 championship, people were paying 3,000 to 3,500 for them on Ebay...

Reactions: kiloVOLt
It was 1971 or 1972, I don't remember which. So I was either 11 or 12. We played Penn State in Neyland. Our Pop Warner team got to go to the game as a reward for winning the county championship. The Vols won, of course. I remember running out on the astro turf after the game with all my buddies, shaking hands with the players.

It almost certainly wasn't the first Tennessee game I followed, since we were able to catch the games on radio from Tullahoma, but it was the first I remember getting to watch.

It was awesome. :)
Tennesseeduke references this game series further below your post. But, the 71 game was daytime, the 72 game was the first nighttime game at Neyland.

I had been to a couple of games previously but the one that sticks out in my mind is the 1985 Auburn game. I was 7 yrs old and I remember wondering why my Dad and Papaw were making such a big deal out of “that Jackson guy?” I didn’t think he looked all that special!!😁 1985 is really the first season i can recall. I can remember crying my eyes out when My Dad told me Tony Robinson got hurt and I will never forget thinking how mean and tough that Miami team looked(wearing camo) before we laid the smack down on their punk @$$!!
GBO!!

Reactions: StoVol
1965 vs Auburn after game my dads friend said well we didn’t lose. My dad said it’s like kissing your sister. 13 to 13 , first time I heard that.
Of course tie finals are rare now.

Tennesseeduke references this game series further below your post. But, the 71 game was daytime, the 72 game was the first nighttime game at Neyland.
Definitely the 71 game for me, then. Thanks!

EDIT: Just read Tennesseeduke's post. Really great one, had no idea of the complexities surrounding that series. And honestly, the way I remember it is an 11-year-old's way...I remember seeing the game, remember being with my buddies, remember the astro turf which was super cool for a kid from Tullahoma in 1971, and remember getting to shake hands with those HUGE college players. Heh. Thanks again, Mercury. *salute*

Last edited:
Reactions: mercuryvol
82 or 83. Was 12 or 13. It was against a crap team at beginning of the season. Got hooked and have been following recruiting ever since

VN Store

Back