Final game of the season

How come Tennessee doesn't have a state championship? Alabama has the Iron Bowl. Mississippi has the Egg Bowl. Mizzou and Arky do something, I guess as the border war? Texas and Oklahoma will come in with the Red River Rivalry(correct me if that's wrong).

How come we've never done something to own the state? (Yes. I know it's vandy. So what.)
Who wants a border war with a bunch of cousin screwers...only thing they and Bama have in common

F24480CB-0742-4E34-B298-C65CFB4D489F.png

Tell Vandy its not rivalry. Its not a rivalry to you! You aint strapping on a helmet.

If you dont think they are waiting, Chomping at the bit.....grinding teeth mad. So ready to see the Vols. You are wrong. I hope the boys playing the game realize this or its another 60 point beat down.
To Tennessee football players it isn't a rivalry. I've heard several former players say this. To Vanderbilt players in their little heads they may think it is

It takes 2 to tango. Look around your TV and it’s pretty obvious who’s got a dance partner. We could have had Kentucky last on the schedule instead of Vandy. Those are the only historical options really.

You aren’t going to break up one of the more important rivalries.

This game has the potential to put a real damper on this awesome season. Hard to consider any season a success with a loss to Vandy. Hopefully we take care of business and keep the momentum going in this sky rocket direction. I just hate to think about the off season regardless of the bowl game with a loss to these guys. Go Vols!!! Please take care of this minor business.

Reactions: txbo
Vandy hasn’t been truly impactful in football since like 1910. Don’t really need to make a big deal about it.

I miss the Beer Barrel.

To Tennessee football players it isn't a rivalry. I've heard several former players say this. To Vanderbilt players in their little heads they may think it is

Yeah, well, that would be a horrible mind set for this current team that cant lean into their athleticism and out muscle at team. Because Vandy is playing for a lot and wants to win. Make not mistake. The Commodes think this game is important.

or maybe not. Maybe Vandy is fine at 5-7 and just gonna lay down for us like SC did

Yeah, well, that would be a horrible mind set for this current team that cant lean into their athleticism and out muscle at team. Because Vandy is playing for a lot and wants to win. Make not mistake. The Commodes think this game is important.

or maybe not. Maybe Vandy is fine at 5-7 and just gonna lay down for us like SC did
Happy Thanksgiving man

Vanderbilt game has never been a rivalry. We have dominated them throughout the series up until the last 10 years when we've had incompetent coaches. There is not boarder war Tennessee is the representative of the entire state.

Uhhhh… I know this is back in the day and all, but… General Neyland was hired with the specific task of beating Vandy who we were consistently losing to prior…

Reactions: txbo and vollygirl
Wrong. It is and has been for over 125 years. We have three rivalries; Alabama, Kentucky and Vandy.

My definition of a TRUE rivalry IS:

That team wants to beat you more than any other team in the nation and vice a versa.
Alabama fans if polled would pick Auburn
Kentucky would probably pick UT but UT would pick Alabama Older Florida younger
Vanderbilt same as UK we are their#1 but not so much the other way
Sorry but we don't have a yearly national headline rivalry. Like
Alabama/Auburn
Ohio State/Michigan
Texas/Oklahoma
We have some good rivalries sometimes only in our minds but IMO no TRUE reciprocal hated rivals. JMO

Reactions: Vfl2407
Why not? I have more respect for Vandy than freaking Kentucky and people want a trophy brought back for that game lol
Lol, I'm with you dude. I don't get it.

With a quick search I can find posts from just a couple of years ago, maybe 3, of people saying "Vandy owns us". I got sick of hearing how they had won 4 of the last 5 or whatever it was. I argued til I was blue in the face with those nimrod's. Now? "Pfft they're not a rival, they not worthy".

Vanderbilt game has never been a rivalry. We have dominated them throughout the series up until the last 10 years when we've had incompetent coaches. There is not boarder war Tennessee is the representative of the entire state.
So it's a rivalry now?

Reactions: Behr
So it's a rivalry now?
It’s still not a rivalry, just Vandy has flashes of being good and usually gives their best game of the season at us.. and we sometimes are either unprepared or lackadaisical about it.. Unfortunate circumstances occasionally? Yes Rivalry? No 😂 but Vandy is on an all time high and we just got our balloon deflated.. so anything can happen if our guys don’t wake the f up

Reactions: Stephen Gray

If true, that's a failure of staff to preserve tradition.

Understandable with the constant turnover.

If true, that's a failure of staff to preserve tradition.

Understandable with the constant turnover.
I really could care less about this. In my opinion Vanderbilt is not a rivalry and if you disagree fine I don't care. It's OK to disagree but I'm not going on and on about Vanderbilt

I really could care less about this. In my opinion Vanderbilt is not a rivalry and if you disagree fine I don't care. It's OK to disagree but I'm not going on and on about Vanderbilt
The desire to consistently beat Vandy is what brought Neyland to UT. It forever changed who we are.

Reactions: knox73

False! Vandy used to whip UT arse on a regular basis until the General was hired. As a matter-of-fact, Neyland was hired specifically to beat Vanderbilt. Check the history of the series.

With it being the final game, I do get a little teary eyed. Like all y’all, couldn’t hardly wait for it to get here and then once it does it’s over in the blink of an eye. What a season tho. What a damn season. If you have been to East Tn in fall, there’s no place any more beautiful. Even the air smells good. Add in the Orange & White with The Pride playing Rocky Top it just makes the entire season almost benevolent. I hate to see it end so soon but the thing that makes it even more special is knowing it’ll come again next year ……and we’ll all be right back here out of love for our Volunteers.
Yep.

Four months of glory, then an eight-month desert without football. An annual cycle.

I swear, it would be worth a mint for someone to flip the script, so we could enjoy football eight months of the year and be without only four.

If some genius ever moves the NFL season to February-June, I'm going to vote for them for President of the Solar System. I'd become a rabid Titans fan (barely pay attention to them during the playoffs as it is now, my first love is the Vols). Viewership would probably bump up 10%-20% just because of folks like me.

Putting the two seasons right on top of each other probably made a huge amount of sense at the time, what with limited TV/radio coverage (just 3 TV channels and your local radio station to choose from). And the season (fall into winter) does help define the sport, sure. Still, from a financial and marketing stand point, it would make a lot more sense for those two seasons not to overlap.

Anyway, we're coming up on bowl season, and then the long, empty desert to cross. Again. Le sigh.

Go Vols!

How come Tennessee doesn't have a state championship? Alabama has the Iron Bowl. Mississippi has the Egg Bowl. Mizzou and Arky do something, I guess as the border war? Texas and Oklahoma will come in with the Red River Rivalry(correct me if that's wrong).

How come we've never done something to own the state? (Yes. I know it's vandy. So what.)

The Commodores think this game is the Sink or Swim Game…… how many times will the Fog Horn blow on Saturday, I’m not sure, you?

Our border rivalry is earlier now with the new scheduling. Kentucky and the beer barrel…It use to be the Kentucky game and then our final regular season game against Vandy. That’s the way it was scheduled for many years. So you had a border rival and trophy and then your state rivalry.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back