Final game of the season

The Tennessean newspaper campaigned for a rivalry nickname 7 years ago. Nothing stuck. It was really just an effort by that newspaper to improve the perception of Vandy as a worthy foe of UT.

I doubt UT wants to do anything to help give Vandy even the appearance of equal footing, including an official rivalry nickname.

Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name
I don't think they are worthy of anything, but I still think it would have been fun to play it up like the others do.

I want no part of Memphis. 😁

Not scared. Tennessee has played Memphis since the 1960s in football. About half in Memphis. Name another major P5 school in the country that’s played a instate mid major program as much and on the road…. You can’t. OSU won’t play Cincy at Cincy, Ala won’t play UAB at all, Fla won’t play UCF in Orlando, etc.

It’s about respect. Memphis tried to power play Tennessee not to play BB cause Cal didn’t want Tenn recruiting Memphis players. Cal only wanted to play in Nashville. So Tennessee said “no” and BTW, “no football too”. Tennessee playing there actually cost the Vols money. Then the Penny display at the last Bb game in Memphis killed that series as long as Barnes is here.

In all seriousness though, the game against them this year is no joke. We should absolutely beat them, and soundly. That said, what we should do and do are not always the same.. as we know.

They have some momentum, having beaten Kentucky/Florida, are fighting for bowl eligibility, we are their last chance, beating us makes any season great for them, and have been really good at generating turnovers this year.

They will show up ready to give us their best I suspect. Hopefully we do the same.

Reactions: SDV and vollygirl
Absolutely not. Talk about a no win situation. You only build their program for them playing them every yr.

I don't think that would happen at all. They had a little run a few ago, but we would beat them on a regular basis. Plus, the basketball games are always great

I don't think that would happen at all. They had a little run a few ago, but we would beat them on a regular basis. Plus, the basketball games are always great

Well, you need to take your case to the AD then.

The commode doors had the Vols number basically from 1892-1927 with only 2 losses and 3 ties. Since then Tennessee has basically owned the series up until problems started around 2012. It has not become much of a rivalry just because of some problem years on our side. Currently not really good, which defines several of our seasons over several recent years with an exception or 2 like this year, does not make a rivalry with basically never being good since electricity.

mcubed.net : NCAA Football : Series Records : Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt

vanderbilt has been stealing for years now. They do not belong in the SEC as they do not contribute. NO, a couple of baseball championships brings hardly any money into the SEC. Everyone knows that while baseball is great and we want the basketball teams (men and women) and baseball and softball teams as with all the other teams for that matter to be great, football and basketball bring in money.

That being said, they think they are great because of their academic side which fits nicely with the attitude of being "all that" even though they do not contribute which is certainly woke and which that university is.

The Latest Canceling at Vanderbilt Shows That Everyone Is Awful and We Are All Doomed

Last edited:
It should be called the candy commode door bowl for them because that's most of the time the only one they will get into based on their record for years on end.

The in-state programs besides Tennessee are just absolutely horrendous. It'd be like having a trophy for a 16 year old who beats up his 7 year old brother. At best the little brother gets in a shot below the belt every once in a while but otherwise it's just one-sided.

How come Tennessee doesn't have a state championship? Alabama has the Iron Bowl. Mississippi has the Egg Bowl. Mizzou and Arky do something, I guess as the border war? Texas and Oklahoma will come in with the Red River Rivalry(correct me if that's wrong).

How come we've never done something to own the state? (Yes. I know it's vandy. So what.)
In the really old days, Neyland was hired to beat Vandy. He did. If fact so often Vand y almost never won a game against Tennessee. It was/is a civil game only because it is usually the next best team in Tennessee. but they have been so bad no one who consider naming the Vandy game a State Championship game. I just hope we win this one Saturday so the negative posters on this board will not have a reason to again raise their ugly heads/writings.

Vanderbilt game has never been a rivalry. We have dominated them throughout the series up until the last 10 years when we've had incompetent coaches. There is not boarder war Tennessee is the representative of the entire state.

By that logic one could say the UT/Alabama tradition isn't really a "rivalry" either since they have beat us like 58 times to our 39 times over them... I think what makes our games is all the teams we play every year... GA, AL, FL, KY, SC, Vandy, are all good games we play every year. To me that makes it a rivalry and darn good ones at that.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!

How come Tennessee doesn't have a state championship? Alabama has the Iron Bowl. Mississippi has the Egg Bowl. Mizzou and Arky do something, I guess as the border war? Texas and Oklahoma will come in with the Red River Rivalry(correct me if that's wrong).

How come we've never done something to own the state? (Yes. I know it's vandy. So what.)

Maybe call it the Triple Star Bowl or the TriStar Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: txbo and vollygirl
Pretty sure Rick Barnes said he doesn't want to play Memphis every year after then last series with them, so it's killed.

I tried to tell him this. The atmosphere in Memphis that year was ridiculous

By that logic one could say the UT/Alabama tradition isn't really a "rivalry" either since they have beat us like 58 times to our 39 times over them... I think what makes our games is all the teams we play every year... GA, AL, FL, KY, SC, Vandy, are all good games we play every year. To me that makes it a rivalry and darn good ones at that.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!
Vanderbilt isn't a rivalry man

Vanderbilt isn't a rivalry man

Tell Vandy its not rivalry. Its not a rivalry to you! You aint strapping on a helmet.

If you dont think they are waiting, Chomping at the bit.....grinding teeth mad. So ready to see the Vols. You are wrong. I hope the boys playing the game realize this or its another 60 point beat down.

Reactions: TheGoodStuff
Why not? I have more respect for Vandy than freaking Kentucky and people want a trophy brought back for that game lol

Reactions: txbo and Behr

Meh… because we already own it. Don’t dignify Vandy by giving them that opportunity. Win or lose

VN Store

Back